What are the common mistakes made on veg/ vegan diet?

Options

Replies

• awdamm
    awdamm Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I don't really eat much red meat and even less pork. ( just dont look at my diary from yesterday... had pork for the first time in almost a year :) )

I've been considering a moderation of vegetarianism.. for reasons listed above for the "body response," energy levels and such.

My current issue is i'm lactose sensitive and have a thyroid issue so soy protein isn't recommended due to thyroid stuff.

Friends have recommended hemp protein powder or Garden of Life Vegetable Protein Powder.
  • riskiestlavonn
    riskiestlavonn Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    The most common mistake IMO would be swapping to such a diet without careful planning and consideration. How you get your protein and certain minerals and vitamins will need to be looked at very closely.

I wholeheartedly agree. That's why I'm glad that I’m thinking about this early on in the process. ^_^
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    "Becoming Vegan" is an excellent book that addresses many of the issues. It's not a cookbook - it is a nutrionists look at the vegan diet, and how to make it optimal for health.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Have you read any books on veganism? There's some great ones out there. I heard 'Becoming Vegan' is good and I'd like to get it. I like The Kind Life too, but more of my info is from reading from tons of online resources. I've been vegan for 6 months now. I think the key is variety and eating lots of fruits and veggies. Like others have said, processed food should be limited.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    living off fake meat
    when there are other great natural foods like beans and lentils :)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Have you spoken with a nutritionist to understand what you really need? I think that would probably be a good idea to make sure you are getting the right foods and nutrients. Good luck! I wouldn't make it more than a few days!
  • GeneveSparkles
    GeneveSparkles Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I would say to learn how to cook. When I started eating a mostly vegetarian diet ( I'm a pescetarian, I will eat fish/seafood on occasian) I was eating a lot of carbs and cheese like other posters stated. In the past couple of years I've really started to enjoy cooking and experimenting with different beans, grains and veggies. Meat substitutes are great in moderation but they are still proceessed foods, and whether veggie or not over consumption of processed foods isn't the best. I've found a lot of great recipes on pinterest as well as Vegetarian Times magazine. Good luck!!!
  • tinksmommy2006
    Options
    The most common mistake of being on a vegan diet, is being on a vegan diet.
    HEE HEE HEE HEE HEE Bacon mmmmmmmmmm lol seriously though...it's like any other way of eating...find a balance of all the things you already know your body needs and leave out as much of the junk you know it doesn't. Research your stuff hun:)
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Not a vegetarian, but have been reading a lot about this lately:

-Make sure to get enough B12. I think that brewer's yeast that people like to sprinkle on popcorn has B12.

-Also, do some research to make sure you know how to COMBINE the various foods to get the amino acids you need.

- - -
    cute pig BTW!

I am not totally sure about the brewers yeast but I know nutritional yeast is a great way to get B12. I was looking for it the other day and saw brewers yeast but the front of the container said "now less bitter" So I thought I better stick with the nutritional yeast which adds a cheesy or nutty flavor to anything.
  • Papa_Swearingen
    Papa_Swearingen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Why in the hell do people cut meat out of their diets only to eat food that is so processed and flavored to look, feel and taste like meat? I just don't get it, and I never will. There is a reason your body says "I want meat".
  • shan_0517
    shan_0517 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    It isnt just at the beginning! When I started my pescetarian diet, I was really on-top of all my nutrients. In the last few years though, I let things slide and became too dependent on milk/cheese and soy products (which are not so good for the environment). Being on MFP gave me a nutrient wake-up call!

Another poster asked for reasons why people make the switch to a vegetarian diet. First off, that's not what this thread is about, but if you'e interested, I can tell you my reasons. I became a pescetarian (I try my best to eat mostly environmentally friendly fish species and practices, but I can't keep away from salmon sushi) because of the damaging environmental implications of big factory farms. Getting most of your nutrients from animals grown on massive compounds, fed mostly corn or low-grade feed, using up incredible quantities of water and energy that could be used for growing plant-based foods. Few slaughterhouses mean incredibly long journeys by truck. Unfortunately, in North America, I do not see the organic, free-range, sustainable solutions working as things currently are.

I currently live in Switzerland, where animals in general are raised on smaller farms. Organic is quite common here, and the cows at least lead mostly pastoral lives (we used to have cows living on the front lawn of our old apartment building for 3 months a year- the smell wasn't lovely and their bells would wake us up in the morning, but it was quite nice), outside in fresh air, with high-quality feed and grass. People eat smaller quantities of meat, and wastage is not tolerated. You can get milk from cows that eat on organic, free pastures, and finding a non free-range egg is quite a challenge. I am finding my environmental argument that works so well in North America to be quite difficult to explain here. However, I'm not changing anytime soon. I appreciate the meat industry here, but I can't face the North American style.

I'd also like to add that "fake-meat" products gross me out. They are so processed and have a horrible taste to them (in my opnion). My favourite products are those that are not trying to be meat, but take the shape of it. Vegetable paddies come in an amazing array of flavours, that's about all I use. Some people like them though, and that's ok. It's about the same as eating a hot-dog for all you meat-eaters.
    Thank you guys so much. I must admit that I did forget about the protein aspect (very important I know). I think that (at least in the beginning) I'm going to have to really pay close attention to what I'm eating so that I make sure to get all my nutrients in.
  • gastankerdriver
    Options
    This is a valuable thread with a lot of good information on it. I dabble in vegetarianism because ultimately, I would like to give up eating meat in the future when I am ready. I take a whey protein powder for most of my protein needs. I also recently started taking an iron supplement. 325 mg ferrous sulfate. A six month supply is about $10. I would also recommend that you look at Vega products. I particularly like the whole food optimizer. It is a little pricey ($59), but it will provide nearly all of your nutritional needs. I also recommend the book "Digestive Tuneup" by Dr. McDougall. He has a website and a clinic in Santa Rosa. Dr. McDougall demonstrates how food affects your digestive system and that nearly every digestive disease (colon cancer, liver disease, colonitis, constipation, hernias, hemmoroids, gall stones, etc.) is exclusively related to diet. Essentially, we are two legged food processors and our digestive system is designed to live on a diet of about 5% meat and 95% fruit and vegetables and starchy foods like yams, beets, potatoes, etc. His work is invaluable and I recommend his website and book to anyone who wants to eat a proper diet.
  • Ti_Kao_Loi
    Ti_Kao_Loi Posts: 4
    Options
    Adopting a Vegetarian or (particularly) Vegan diet has many long term health benefits compared to meat-eaters such as lower susceptibility to developing high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease, osteoporosis and circulatory conditions. And without wanting to proselytize, those that scoff at the Vege/Vegan diet may want to look into The China Study (numerous resources on-line), before passing any sort of judgement.

However, just because you forgo meat, doesn't mean you still can't go wrong! My advice is to ensure you get adequate daily intake of a wide variety of fruit and veg, as well as whole grains and beans. You'll find that you can eat larger portions that fill you up without going anywhere near the calorie count you may expect.

One question that is commonly asked relates to protein, which can easily be found in so many Vegan/Vege foods such as beans, tofu, nuts, quinoa, etc. If you are struggling to come up with ideas for meals just hit YouTube. You can find enough recipes and information to last you a lifetime!!

The one key vitamin that you will not be able to get enough of is B12, which at dangerously low levels can cause anaemia or problems with the nervous system. So look out for products that have B12 added (such as Soy Milk with added B12 and Calcium) or alternatively look to take a b12 supplement. This should take care of any deficiency build up.
  • vthetigercat
    Options
    A lot of what I was gonna say has already been said, so I'll just recommend a couple of books, both by Isa Chandra Moskowitz, vegan queen chef.

'Veganomicon,' is like an encyclopedia of delicious vegan recipes, and has some invaluable sections about how to prepare vegetables in even the most basic ways.

'Appetite For Reduction,' contains lots of low-fat recipes and it does talk a lot about the mistakes that vegans make when they first make the switch.

I was vegan for 3 years, but I'm not even vegetarian now. When I was vegan I was very active and had a lot of energy, because I made sure to get a good balance of macro-and-micronutrients.

A "good balance" for me back then was about 50% carbs, 30% protein, and 20% fat. Now I have increased my protein consumption because it is more convenient to prepare sources.

Eat a lot of quinoa! One of the only vegetables that is a "complete protein." And don't eat too many vegan cupcakes! They are ultimately the downfall of any vegan diet.
  • jenbunboo
    jenbunboo Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The biggest trap I fell in to was "if it isn't an animal product, it is healthy." Even with that attitude, I still lost 20 pounds without trying. I eventually plateaued and had to really start looking at what I was eating. Hello MFP!

Personally, I make sure I include protein at every meal. As a meat eater, you have to work to keep fat low. Watch your cheese, watch what cuts of meat you're using, watch your excess fats. As a non-meat eater, I have to work to get enough protein, and barely glance at my carb or fat levels. A calorie is a calorie, and the number of calories will determine how quickly you lose weight...the macronutrients go a long way to figuring out how healthy you are doing it. *Not a medical opinion, just mine based on watching myself, others, reading the forums, and outside research.*

Breakfast is frequently a smoothie for me. I use a non-milk (So Delicious coconut milk is my favorite, I can't wait to try their almond milk when it is released!), some frozen fruit, a banana if I feel like it, some flax seeds, hemp oil or seeds, or coconut oil if I feel like it, and many days a vegetable based protein powder. While I prefer to eat as many whole foods as I can, I opt for the protein powder here rather than spending the time to make a bean breakfast (but bean breakfast wraps are great!). Lunch I often eat leftovers, or make a bean salad. I grab some random can of beans (black, kidney, garbanzo, cannellini), chop up some fresh veggies, and add leftover pasta sauce or some lemon juice and salt and pepper. For dinner I make a wide variety of dishes. I have a lot of cookbooks accrued over the years, Williams-Sonoma's Eat Well is a favorite, along with a slew of Veg*n ones. Also, there are really useful websites out there, like Oh She Glows and ppk. I eat an extremely varied diet, focusing on fresh fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, some healthy fats, and the occasional treat thrown in. I find eating this way to be fun.

I chose to stop eating meat after having to put down a family pet. What made him SO different from the animals I was eating? Sure, I knew him, but I don't kill people I don't know either. It came down to I didn't enjoy meat enough to justify taking a life. I cut out dairy and eggs because I'm allergic to one or the other (or both) and I'm too lazy to figure out which one. I'll still have a little bit of one or the other about once a month, just for convenience when I'm out of the house, to avoid eating a side salad and fries at many of the restaurants around me here in PA dutch country.

As to b12: You can keep your b12 up with either a vitamin, nutritional yeast, or by eating some foods enriched with b12. B12 is actually produced by bacteria in dirt and water, and even in your gut. http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2007nl/nov/b12.htm is a good site to read when it comes to b12.
  • sammi402
    sammi402 Posts: 232 Member
    Options

LMAO!!! That's just wrong.

17134251.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Flaco1960
    Flaco1960 Posts: 5
    Options
    Tp paraphrase Dean Wermer: "Being a jerk is no way to go through life, son" :wink:
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Eating processed and convenience foods. You have to learn to prepare your own meals, there's no way around it if you want to eat healthy and enjoy what you are eating. Make a commitment to try a few new recipes (and types of food) each week and before you know it you'll have a whole repertoire of healthy options. There are no shortage of ideas online (Pinterest and blogs are my fave) and they cost nothing. Happy cooking!
  • Flaco1960
    Flaco1960 Posts: 5
    Options

To paraphrase Dean Wermer: "Being a jerk is no way to go through life, son" :wink: