I'm gaining it all back

Options
124»

Replies

• albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    same problem. I have been eating high protein and very clean for over a year, within 1200-1500 calorie range. Then I added cardio and WT, now I "gained" all the weight back up and even more. This is really frustrating. I did first on 1200 calorie diet and lost about 10 pounds, then hit plateau. Everyone said I should bump up calorie and add exercise, so I did...I use to see difference in measurment now I don't see them. Everything just went back to where it began. I am depressed.

That is where their "logic" fails. You do not eat more to lose more. Go back to what you were doing if it worked for you. Plateaus happen. Stay on course and wait them out. They will eventually break if you stay the same.

When I lost weight, I was eating 1200 cal/day without much intensive workout except for walking. Then I stalled so I added cardio then I started slowly gaining...Everybody says eat and eat but apparently that was not the case for me.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I'm right ther with you. I don't know what to do either. Wish I had a magic solution. I'll let you know if I figure anything out.

I am in delimma now. Eat or not Eat? excersise or not exersise? this significantly impacts my mood every day now. I want to give it up the I still hope there might some solution I haven't tried? I don't know. :(

you severely damaged your metabolism when you were eating 1200 calories a day for a year. that is why exercise and bumping up your calories isn't working. your body got used to the low calorie diet and slowed down your metabolism to match. it takes a LONG time to repair it.

You sound so sure about this. Honestly I did some research on so called "starvation mode" as well but I find them...very hard to believe. Your body will slow down for sure but metabolism doesn't stop. That's what I learned.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I've been on here since Dec, lost 19 lbs and slowly gaining it back, I am not doing anything different, I cheat on the weekends, as I always did, and I've even raised my calorie intake as suggested. I am so depressed and discouraged. I feel like quitting and coming back so I will lose it again like I did before. What can I do? I am super depressed.:cry:

If you raised your calorie intake and are gaining, you should lower it back down.

Having said that, I highly recommend against a cheat day. You could be undoing all the good you did tracking all week. Track it all and be honest with yourself. If you can't sustain the goal you chose, back it off to a goal of .5 lbs/week loss and see if you can eat at that level while tracking every bite and not cheating.

Good advice but with ANY change in diet like this do it for a couple weeks. Once you start eating higher your insulin levels and stuff have to adjust in your body. If you want to be accurate go get your BF% measured and maybe get your metabolism measured. Call your local university as the sports programs will usually do it for you for a low fee/donation as they'll use you to let the kids test on. It's a win win!
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options

you severely damaged your metabolism when you were eating 1200 calories a day for a year. that is why exercise and bumping up your calories isn't working. your body got used to the low calorie diet and slowed down your metabolism to match. it takes a LONG time to repair it.

Incorrect! What a horrible thing to tell someone. Your metabolism is always in flux, just dieting puts a strain on your metabolism. You don't lock your metabolism into place, everything we do, every step we takes affect our metabolism, it works in a fluid motion not in solid set numbers. OP and the other person worried about this stuff. Don't listen to this person. Starvation mode is real, but it's not something that you will take a LONG time to repair from it. It will take minimum a couple weeks to get your insulin levels and hormone levels back into check then your metabolism will start to heal. It doesn't take a LONG time. It'll take some time but it's not like you've ruined your body for the years to come. Heck just look at the HCG diet (Not a good diet, not recommended) it's all about low cals then you are suppose to gradually bring the calories up over a period of a month. Just like the whole... OMG don't worry those 8 pounds you gained is all muscle people.. Don't listen to the spread of misinformation.

If you are truly worried make two appointments. #1 with a dr. to give you a physical, and #2. A nutrition/dietician, both can give better advice then strangers on a message board.