yoga

Options
Myfitnesspal is a pretty calorie counting committed community. Yoga does not burn that many calories in comparison to other cardio exercises, but I would like to make the case for yoga to people who are serious about fitness. The mindfulness it cultivates naturally encourages self care by healthy eating and exercise, and all the sttrreecchhiiiinnggg FeeeeeeeLs GOOD.

Who else does yoga?

Replies

• annamook
    annamook Posts: 28
    Options
    wow at the lack of yogis
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I do it!! I haven't been in a while..... my work schedule conflicts with my favorite vinyasa class.
  • foxfireash
    foxfireash Posts: 24
    Options
    I used to do it, but then I pulled my back... I have large breasts so some of the positions are very strenuous on my back muscles. But.. more motivation to lose weight so I can get back into it!:wink:
  • annamook
    Options
    For me it has been life changing. I think everyone should at least try it. Yoga reduces the chance you will be injured exercising by making you flexible, helps with balance, and also helps you recognize where you are inflexible and unbalanced. Yoga also trains the mind, which ultimately controls the body.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    i like the idea behind yoga, but with severe knee issues and being unable to kneel or put any pressure on my knee cap, it limits me to what i can do. i need a standing only yoga class or something. have learned a few poses, but never make it part of my routine. i think it might be one of my summer goals when i have more time to learn poses and stuff. i need something to calm my mind and soul.
  • annamook
    Options
    @knightreader - calming your mind and soul are very much the point of yoga. There are chair classes for yogis with knee issues! Injuries can be so debititating - my sister had a stress fracture betwenn toes and then realized how involved the feet are in yoga. If you advise your teachers there are always modifications for every pose - never do anything painful
  • key1238
    key1238 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love yoga! Some of the power/ Ashtanga classes burn a lot of calories. I've lost a good 60 lbs in part due to yoga. Yoga relieves stress makes me focus and is cheaper than physical therapy! Namaste.
  • tccx
    tccx Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am now older 56 and am in very stiff shape. I have joined MFP in march and have lost about 8 lb after not having the willpower/ motivation to lose anything in 3 years. I have started yoga, and after 3 classes I am coming to love it. It is "gentle Hathaway yoga" and is very mindful, soothing, and we are working on my 'alignment'. I can see why you love it, it is just not about stressing your body in hard exercises, but honoring your body with gentle stretches and breathing. My teacher seems fabulous and after one disastrous session with another teacher, I believe the instructor is crucial, and mine seems great.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    @knightreader - calming your mind and soul are very much the point of yoga. There are chair classes for yogis with knee issues! Injuries can be so debititating - my sister had a stress fracture betwenn toes and then realized how involved the feet are in yoga. If you advise your teachers there are always modifications for every pose - never do anything painful

stress fractures between the toes sounds incredibly painful for such a small area. good luck to your sister. and thanks for the advice. i have been talking with a yoga instructor recently, we have a mutual friend, and was telling her my concerns and she was saying the same as you, there is always a modification available. i'll give it some thought...
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Me! I love it. I don't rely on it for caloric burn though.
  • mmarin81
    mmarin81 Posts: 241
    Options
    I have some videos I do at home. Did them for a lil bit but then started doing insanity. Once I'm done I plan to go back to it.
  • Pamela777
    Pamela777 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Annamook - are there any good yoga videos for beginners that you could recommend?
  • Jweb8969
    Jweb8969 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    i WANT to do yoga, but our budget is so tight it squeaks. i have yet to find a good online source of instructional videos - do you know of one?
  • djtessatessa
    djtessatessa Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    http://www.yogatoday.com/ has free classes
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I do yoga twice a week. Today's, which I'm procrastinating on, kicks my butt in ways I can't explain (total fail on balance, coordination, flexibility and strength). Sunday's cultivates mindfulness, reduces stress, and stretches me out. Once I'm in better shape, I'd like to increase the amount of yoga and pilates I do.

Netflix has yoga videos. Hulu might as well.
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    i do! loved it enough to become certified!
  • ryn013
    ryn013 Posts: 116
    Options
    I do yoga!! It helps with my flexibility for cheerleading SO MUCH. And it's fun and so calming.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Currently doing Kettlebells, but i had been doing Bikram Yoga since 2003. The practice is healing especially if you have arthritis etc.
  • SaraEllie80
    SaraEllie80 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy yoga--- and depending on the instructor in my classes, I can get a decent workout! If anything else, I enjoy the way my body feels after our session. It's not about how well you can move into a pose-- for me, anyway-- it's about being present and focusing on just that.

I really have enjoyed feeling how my body is consistently changing through my weight loss, but also flexibility and endurance to hold those more difficult poses!
  • Amberchalon
    Amberchalon Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm a total yoga devotee