yoga

Options

Replies

• patriciaannbibo
    patriciaannbibo Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Tired Yoga Booty Ballet today for the first time. Never done Yoga before.Thought I was getting in good shape . Ouch I am so sore right now. Yoga is hard workout.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I am interested to see this because I was thinking of trying yoga! Maybe I will! :smile:
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    i WANT to do yoga, but our budget is so tight it squeaks. i have yet to find a good online source of instructional videos - do you know of one?

Do you own a Wii or another game system? Wii Fit Plus is an excellent (run, inexpensive and private) way to do yoga.

Also, if you have cable, there are lots of "on demand" exercise shows to choose from.
  • sunshinedazed
    Options
    I LOVE yoga. I've been so out of it for so long, and I am SO excited to be getting back into it!!
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Hey there fellow yogi~

I've been doing Bikram Yoga for a couple months now. I can't say that I "LOVE" it, but it keeps me motivated and going into other exercise avenues, like doing cardio, and using both the elliptical and treadmill (I go to the gym either before or after yoga).

I do it about 2-3 times a week, so I feel like I'm only a novice, which is probably why I don't love it like most yogis seem to.

~katie
  • rumpusparable
    rumpusparable Posts: 160
    Options
    I've long loved yoga and have tried a few types. Currently I'm doing a very fitness-oriented yoga at my gym (no meditation, intense working and stretching) for my strength and flexibility... am seeing some great progress in both, mixed with the benefits of my other workout classes. I need to get back to practicing Kriya yoga for the spiritual benefits, but need to get a refresher in the postures as I've slacked on it too long.... hopefully this summer I'll get to go to a class up in Dallas.
  • RoDeese
    RoDeese Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Anna?
    I do yoga, I absolutely love it. Well, I guess I better love it, since I do teach it. You are right about it not being a high calorie burner, but it sure does feel good to stretch. :smile:
  • Jweb8969
    Jweb8969 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tips as to where to look for yoga online! ;) i will check them out tomorrow, since it's my day 'off'

our cable company recently stopped providing its "on demand" exercise channel - so bummed! :(
  • Nutrition1975
    Nutrition1975 Posts: 111
    Options
    I love, love Bikram yoga and you can definitely burn anywhere from 500-1000 calories a session...you can't say that for a few miles of running :)
  • Pamela777
    Pamela777 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thank u Katie n Tessa will check out the web and Wii videos for the yoga.:wink:
  • ConnieB1979
    ConnieB1979 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Bikram yoga....AMAZING....AND GREAT BURN TOO! :smooched:
  • CJuliaV
    CJuliaV Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have a bad right knee, too. Can't kneel, and I just got my Level 1 Yoga Teacher Training Certification (to teach and assist beginners and beginning intermediates, pre- and post natal moms). Yoga is for everyone! Every pose has modifications. If you go to classes where people are competitive, try a different class or studio or try a video or audio podcast. Just because that person next to you can twist into whatever shape they are in doesn't mean they should or that they are doing it correctly. You only go as far as you can, honor you limits, and that will be enough to reap the benefits of yoga.
    Someone above mentioned being buxom as a barrier to yoga practice ... I am very buxom, also, but doing yoga correctly doesn't cause problems (or choking ... i do shoulder stand without interference). There are endless series and combinations for poses in yoga -- there is something for everyone. Simply doing seated stretches for 10 minutes feels wonderful!
  • Figment14300
    Options
    I love yoga! gotta say hot power yoga is my favorite! :happy:
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    I love yoga and have been practicing for a little over 9 years now. Vinyasa (aka power) yoga helped me lose about 20 lbs. back when I first started. Nowadays I do kickboxing (Turbo Jam) for my cardio but I try to squeeze in at least 10 minutes of yoga a day. There's nothing better than a nice, gentle yoga practice after a kickboxing workout.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I love yoga! I do it several times a week, either as a full practice or combined with cardio.
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Whether you get a good calorie burn or not depends on the type of yoga. I've really worked up a sweat from Power Yoga and hear great things about Bikram too, though I've not tried it myself. I love yoga, but have only recently gotten back to doing it on a regular basis. Right now I'm doing Kundalini and Yin yoga several times a week as well as daily Hatha yoga.
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have been practicing for 4 years, I am more toned, mindful and calm than ever! If you are practicing Vinyasa style or Power yoga it is definitely one great burn holding those poses really calms the mind and energizes the body. I highly recommend it!
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I am a bigger gal and I definitely not the smallest or youngest person in my class. Luckily my teachers are very helpful to find modification for poses where my body gets in the way.
  • ajohn252
    ajohn252 Posts: 158
    Options
    Just started a class every Monday and I'm loving it!
  • PhillyTD
    PhillyTD Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I swear by this!

http://www.ddpyoga.com

Check it out kids!