Female lifters: YOU WILL NOT LOOK THIS WAY!

Options

Replies

• Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    *bump*

women NEED to know the truth on this. Great discussion! :-)
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    What are you talking about? You know that if women start lifting anything over 5lbs, their muscles will go into hyperdrive, getting huge, bulky, totally ripped without any effort whatsoever, making them look all "manly" and muscular.

Because muscles are THE defining characteristic of being male, didn't you know? They don't actually exist on women. Because, ya know, they look so ugly, they can't be feminine on a real woman. Real women are like botulism-effected puppies: Limp with no muscular tone or ability.

Duh.
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Bump!
    I love heavy weights!

And her meals. Oh my God! Her meals sound perfect. A little repetitive... But those are my favorite things!
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Here are the pics of her: In case you wanted to see them on here....

rene-campbell-female-bodybuilder.jpg
    rene-campbell-4.jpg
    rene-campbell-3.jpg
    rene-campbell-2.jpg
    biggest-female-bodybuilder.jpg

It's NOT the look I am going for....

ETA: I put img instead of IMG but it's not working....She has clothes on....Can anyone else see them, I can't on here....UGH!!
    I tried!! :(
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

ETA: I put img instead of IMG but it's not working....She has clothes on....Can anyone else see them, I can't on here....UGH!!

See the % signs in the links? Those represent spaces in the file/folder names. MFP's forum software is 900yrs old, and can't parse file/folder names with spaces in them. That's why they don't work.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Not only is it almost impossible for woman to BULK up. It would take years of very hard work. Your program could be stopped or altered at anytime you are not happy with the results.

That's what I've always been told, even if the person was saying women could get that way naturally. Just like losing weight, building up muscle whether subtle or "out there" takes a long time and a lot of hard work, there's no way you'd go in one day, bench press 100lbs, and wake up with Hulk arms.
  • RavenSoul
    RavenSoul Posts: 11
    Options
    Amen!!!!!
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I started loosing weight 4 months ago:
    BW 152
    CW 135
    GW Now just trying to get rid of fat
    Height 5'6.5''
    Age 28
    Went from size 10 to 6 (kinda loose too)

I do Zumba 3 times a week and lift 3 times a week (full body and as hard as I can for about an hour). I still find that I dont loose fat unless I stick to 1350 cals and dont eat back my work out cals (except a protein shake). Everyone says I need to eat more to gain muscle but I have been lifting for a month now and seeing progress. What do you think I should do if my goal is to loose fat and gain muscle? My body fat was pretty high at 152 at 33% per the bod pod so I was told I didnt need to eat as much. Any help would be great!
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    BW 152
    CW 135
    Height 5'6.5''
    Age 28

I do Zumba 3 times a week and lift 3 times a week (full body and as hard as I can for about an hour). I still find that I dont loose fat unless I stick to 1350 cals and dont eat back my work out cals (except a protein shake). Everyone says I need to eat more to gain muscle but I have been lifting for a month now and seeing progress. What do you think I should do if my goal is to loose fat and gain muscle? My body fat was pretty high at 152 at 33% per the bod pod so I was told I didnt need to eat as much. Any help would be great!

If your goal is to gain muscle, you need to be at a surplus calorie wise. While it's true that very overweight people can gain small amounts of muscle eating at a deficit (their body can use their copious fat stores as 'fuel' for awhile), it's not a substantial amount. Additionally, most people who think they're gaining muscle on a deficit, aren't. They're training their muscles to respond as they're supposed to. It's a brain (neural) communication thing.

A perfect example is my right biceps. In February I ripped the lower biceps tendon off of my forearm (meaning it was only connected at the top). I had surgery, and it was partially immobilized for a couple weeks. By the time I finally started working out again...my right biceps was mush (it literally felt like fat...I was NOT pleased), and looked substantially smaller. It was still there, and due to the surgery it was connected, but it was useless. I could barely flex it, and when I did it was still soft.

Within two weeks at the gym, I had 'retrained' my biceps to do its job. It filled out, firmed up...and while it's still not performing to its original potential, it's probably at a good 80% now...and I'm positive within a few more weeks it will look and act the same as the other.

The point of this is that I didn't 'lose' substantial muscle in my biceps in two weeks of limited mobility...and I didn't 'regain' any in such a short time frame. It simply forgot its job (in overweight people it may never have needed to DO its job), and needed to be taught how to react to stimulus again. Many people confuse this natural body mechanism as 'gaining muscle'.

Anyhow, sorry for the long winded explanation...but the overall point is, if you want to gain muscle, eat at a surplus. If you're looking to cut fat, eat at a deficit. There are methods where you can do both at the same time, but if I go into that...it will seriously jack this thread lol.

Good luck!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with lifting, but lifting won't "give me the body I want". Unless there's a lift that will make my huge gut shrink to flatness, I'm stuck with what my parents gave me.
    Sounds to me as if what your parents have given you is a negative attitude to health and fitness, rather than giving you a fat gut.

Lifting is one of the best ways of reducing body fat. While you can't spot reduce, and while lifting can't totally deal with huge amounts of loose skin, if you lift heavy AND eat sensibly, you WILL reduce your "fat gut".
  • missmelissavpk
    missmelissavpk Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    this is wonderful : ) i'm a believer lol
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options

See the % signs in the links? Those represent spaces in the file/folder names. MFP's forum software is 900yrs old, and can't parse file/folder names with spaces in them. That's why they don't work.

Dang it!! Can I just delete those maybe...Just trying to see if there is a back door way to do it for future reference...But thank you for letting me know so next time I don't waste time trying to post pics with the % in them... :)
  • norabeth
    norabeth Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with this post.:smile:
  • zsaoosh
    Options
    BW 152
    CW 135
    Height 5'6.5''
    Age 28

If your goal is to gain muscle, you need to be at a surplus calorie wise. While it's true that very overweight people can gain small amounts of muscle eating at a deficit (their body can use their copious fat stores as 'fuel' for awhile), it's not a substantial amount. Additionally, most people who think they're gaining muscle on a deficit, aren't. They're training their muscles to respond as they're supposed to. It's a brain (neural) communication thing.

A perfect example is my right biceps. In February I ripped the lower biceps tendon off of my forearm (meaning it was only connected at the top). I had surgery, and it was partially immobilized for a couple weeks. By the time I finally started working out again...my right biceps was mush (it literally felt like fat...I was NOT pleased), and looked substantially smaller. It was still there, and due to the surgery it was connected, but it was useless. I could barely flex it, and when I did it was still soft.

Within two weeks at the gym, I had 'retrained' my biceps to do its job. It filled out, firmed up...and while it's still not performing to its original potential, it's probably at a good 80% now...and I'm positive within a few more weeks it will look and act the same as the other.

The point of this is that I didn't 'lose' substantial muscle in my biceps in two weeks of limited mobility...and I didn't 'regain' any in such a short time frame. It simply forgot its job (in overweight people it may never have needed to DO its job), and needed to be taught how to react to stimulus again. Many people confuse this natural body mechanism as 'gaining muscle'.

Anyhow, sorry for the long winded explanation...but the overall point is, if you want to gain muscle, eat at a surplus. If you're looking to cut fat, eat at a deficit. There are methods where you can do both at the same time, but if I go into that...it will seriously jack this thread lol.

Good luck!

Please jack the thread up to explain how to do both :happy: I think others would love to know too cause this confuses me. When I went to health and welness and did the bod pod I saw how all these people Lost 15 lbs of fat and gained 2 lbs of muscle in two months. The lady told me that my BMR was pretty low at 1185 since my body fat was high. How do I figure out how many cals I should eat because this site and many others dont take into consideration my true body fat %. THANK YOU!!! :bigsmile:
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    beginner here and would love to know where to start????
  • zsaoosh
    Options
    Found an answer on how to loose fat and gain muscle. But how can this be a way of life? http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kelly3.htm
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    beginner here and would love to know where to start????

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Her breasts are now pecs, that's when you know you have gone too far. And who would want to eat the same exact meal everyday? Boring!

Anyway.. lifting heavy is extremely challenging and fun, in fact lifting weights is the only exercise I have come to actually enjoy. The rest I just do because I have to.

I am looking forward getting back to it after my baby gets here!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Found an answer on how to loose fat and gain muscle. But how can this be a way of life? http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kelly3.htm

It's been shown that some people CAN lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. These people are the very obese, people new to lifting and those returning to it. The gains will be small though. That might explain the 2lbs you said you saw on people at the body pod (or that could be within the error of the test).

Most people do bulking cutting cycles because it is soooooo much easier and more effective than trying to do both. Personally, I just finished my first bulking cycle in Feb. I still had some fat to lose when I started. I gained 10lbs, probably 5lbs muscle (I'm being generous here, most women can only gain a pound a month), 2-3lbs fat and 2-3lbs water, glycogen, or whatever. But even though I had fat to lose when I started, and gained a little better more I looked BETTER after my bulk than before. Now I'm in the process of cutting back down. I have the feeling I'll be REALLY happy with the end result and that was only one cycle. If I do it again next winter I'll be rocking some serious muscles (which I want and like). Also, bulking is just fun. I love lifting, not a huge fan of cardio, and well, eating 3000 calories a day is fun.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

That is overly complicated in my opinion, and designed/written to provide shock factor to make it more appealing to 'extreme' people.

www.leangains.com is a much easier approach with excellent results.

PLEASE people, I'm just answering the ladies question lol, lets not turn this thread into an IF vs 72 meals a day debate ok?