If you are scared to increase calories

Options

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Got to my goal eating at my tdee. I was sedentary but now I exercise so I just log the cals. Works out to be about the right values on fat2fit at a different activity level but I like to see the exercise.

By the very definition of TDEE, I guarantee this did not happen unless your goal was to lose 0. Do you mean you were considering your sedentary TDEE and added exercise (thus really increasing your TDEE without adding in additional calories of eating)?

The calculation was too low for her is all. Her metabolic rate was higher than the average for her size.
  • cathie2903
    cathie2903 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have stuck for the last 3 weeks and am willing to try this but I must admit it does make me nervous....can I clarify with you guys so I dont crash and burn??

I have done the calculation on Fat2Fit;
    My BMR IS 1483 cals
    I work out 3-4 times a week, mix of weights and cardio so took the moderately active level of 2195

I have another 10lbs to o before I reach my goal weight of 151lbs (i am 5ft 9).

Does this mean I eat 2195 cals per day and maintain my current activity level but don't eat back the cals generated?

:flowerforyou: thanks!!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I have stuck for the last 3 weeks and am willing to try this but I must admit it does make me nervous....can I clarify with you guys so I dont crash and burn??

I have done the calculation on Fat2Fit;
    My BMR IS 1483 cals
    I work out 3-4 times a week, mix of weights and cardio so took the moderately active level of 2195

I have another 10lbs to o before I reach my goal weight of 151lbs (i am 5ft 9).

Does this mean I eat 2195 cals per day and maintain my current activity level but don't eat back the cals generated?

:flowerforyou: thanks!!

Yup, correct :)
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Still so confused about everything but set it to 1803 for now. REALLY hoping this works as I've been stuck at a stall for two weeks and it's making me miserable :(
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I am nervous about this, but am going to give it a shot!

Should I just up my cals by a few hundred for now or should I go all out??

I had a baby 6 weeks ago and had no limit on cals while I was pregnant, but then cut back to 1200. Haven't lost any since counting cals again.

holy smokes, increase them. Are you nursing? 1200 cals is going to negatively affect your milk supply and your energy!
    yes! you are exclusively nursing and should include 500-700 more calories to keep your supply up. I logged BFing in my diary. For exclusively BFing it minuses 500 calories. I made sure to eat them back.
    I'm nursing a 15 mon old and still make sure I eat that extra 300 calories.

I think it's amazing that you're still nursing! I am 100000% for extended breastfeeding. I plan to BF my kids until they self wean. Well done, mama!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Do me a favor and look at the bottom of my post here. See that? Yep, guess what? I eat more than 1200 calories a day.

and I eat less than 1200, ditto. But I am starting from a radically different place, so your context is different.
    You're male so your intake is dangerously low. Your 'advice' is always confrontational and obnoxious and largely wrong. Please stop turning every thread you happen across into your personal soapbox.

^^^This
  • cheryl010812
    Options
    bump
  • zomoro56
    zomoro56 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Interesting info from everyone.
  • verapamil
    verapamil Posts: 94
    Options
    Bump to read later! (I already eat more calories because of that formula, just want to verify I'm doing it right :laugh: )
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Bump! I foresee questions....
  • toshie333
    toshie333 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    sorry to ask this question. im a bit confused.

my BMR is 1332

do i eat ...
    sedentary 1639 and -250 for 1/2 pound defecit = 1389 NET cals and eat back exercise calories back each day - i exercise 5 times a week cardio for 40- 60+ minutes and some weights

moderaatly active 2117 - 250 for 1/2 pound = 1867 NETand dont eat back exercise cals

at the moment i am doing the first one. with exercise i am eating 1600-2000 cals a day on exercise days. comparing the 2 it seems i would be eating extra calories on the second one.

Any help is great. thank you
  • toshie333
    toshie333 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    oh or do i not -250 cals to create the defecit from fat 2 fit website?
    in that case id be eating an awful lot more as my net which seems too much!
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Okay...I got my numbers all figured out and am starting today! Thanks to the OP and everyone else for posting this info!! :flowerforyou:

Now I have a question...I'm looking at having to add in an extra 600cals a day...how do I do that and still keep it fairly healthy? I almost always have a protein shake as a snack. I know nuts are high calorie but uh...eating too much nuts/seeds every day doesn't make my tummy too happy. :embarassed:
    Also, what about sugar intake? With the amount of cals I've been consuming my sugar intake is right at MFP guidelines...I limit myself to one or two servings of fruit a day...and try not to have a lot of processed sugars. But if I'm going to be eating more it's inevitable that I'll get more sugar. Thoughts?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    So I'm confused do I use the Katch-McArdle BMR (1342) or the Harris-Benedict BMR (1604)?? Will that affect the TDEE (2130)??
    Becasue the site is telling me the Katch-McArdle is more accurate....but the TDEE is measured based on the Harris-Benedict BMR.....

And that's what confuses the hell out of me.
    Any one of the gurus have an answer for this?
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Okay...I got my numbers all figured out and am starting today! Thanks to the OP and everyone else for posting this info!! :flowerforyou:

Now I have a question...I'm looking at having to add in an extra 600cals a day...how do I do that and still keep it fairly healthy? I almost always have a protein shake as a snack. I know nuts are high calorie but uh...eating too much nuts/seeds every day doesn't make my tummy too happy. :embarassed:
    Also, what about sugar intake? With the amount of cals I've been consuming my sugar intake is right at MFP guidelines...I limit myself to one or two servings of fruit a day...and try not to have a lot of processed sugars. But if I'm going to be eating more it's inevitable that I'll get more sugar. Thoughts?

Feel free to have a look at my food diary. It's open. I eat very healthy...very little processed foods, mostly homemade items. Very little sugar, lots of proteins and only healthy carbs. Oh and I never really look at the MFP guidelines for sugar since I think their amount is too low anyway but all my sugar comes mostly from natural sources like fruits, veggies, etc. I think if your sugar is coming from natural sources and you're not overdoing it, you'll be fine.

If you want any recipes, just message me and I'll be happy to send them!!

Oh and I second what the OP said about the EM2WL group. They are amazing and supportive!!
  • gaia3rd
    gaia3rd Posts: 151
    Options
    I have a scale tha tells me my body fat %, anyone have any info how acurate this would be?
    Don't see where anyone answered this, so I'll take a stab at it. They're not overly accurate, (nor do they claim to be). After doing a lot of research, I purchased a Tanita which is VERY accurate when it comes to weight measurement, and will also give me estimated body fat and body water percentages. You get better results if you do your weight check first thing in the morning. For body fat and/or water %, it's better if you weigh yourself later in the afternoon, say just before dinner. While the accuracy is still questionable - it is consistent - which means it's very useful to track your fat and water loss (or gain) progression..
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I increased my calories two days ago. The day after ( yesterday) was my worst day ever. LOL! Honestly, 1200 wasn't enough, but going up really DID scare me. It is what it is. I just need to continue tracking and working out, I SHOULD be ok...
  • ashleynicoleh04
    ashleynicoleh04 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • kiku76
    kiku76 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    This may be stupid but I need clarification. If im moderately active and allotted 2000 calories, does that mean after minusing the execise calories, my net should be 2000? or will my net be 2000 less whatever I burned, so like 1700 or so? This "dont eat back yiur exercise calories" business confuses me.
  • Reesecup312
    Reesecup312 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Wow!! All this info is just super confusing!! I say, find what works for you and stick with it. Some methods work for some and not for others!! Weight loss doesn't have to be that complicated. Just saying.....:smile: