Replies

• salzej01
    salzej01 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Need to read when I get home!
  • EllieMo
    EllieMo Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You know what, before I fell ill and put it back on again, I lost over 6 stone by eating 1100 calories a day. Shocking. And I exercised too.

I tried doing this "eat back exercise calories" stuff. Didn't lose anything. Decided to do it the way that I am most comfortable with, rather than be dictated to in the rather abrupt manner of the OP :)
  • slyder432
    slyder432 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    bump
  • curlygirly80
    curlygirly80 Posts: 176
    Options
    BUMP
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I have just started this so if you need a friend, let me know! I have woken up the past two days STARVING after eating 2400+ calories a day. I'm in the middle of week two of eating a 15% cut below my TDEE found by my Bodymedia.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

After spending hundreds on my BMF and metabolic testing, this calculator has come the closest to what my TDEE and BMR actually are. Use it!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    You know what, before I fell ill and put it back on again, I lost over 6 stone by eating 1100 calories a day. Shocking. And I exercised too.

I tried doing this "eat back exercise calories" stuff. Didn't lose anything. Decided to do it the way that I am most comfortable with, rather than be dictated to in the rather abrupt manner of the OP :)

*cough*
  • astroub
    astroub Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this!
  • KWright76
    KWright76 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Great info.
  • mrsjacksn
    mrsjacksn Posts: 113
    Options
    bump
  • femmi1120
    femmi1120 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Sorry OP, I've tried netting everything from under 1000 to 1400. I don't anything lose if I'm netting over 1000. Just fluctuate. My doctor and nutritionist both wanted me on a 1500 plan (w/o eating back exercise cals) which would have had me averaging under 1000 over the week any way.
  • cmoutarimoussa
    cmoutarimoussa Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I just did the steps and it tells me to eat 2053...i am really scared but i am gonna try it....i have been stuck losing the same 5lbs for the last 3 months..i am sick of it...i need to get this going again. I am just afraid i am gonna gain weight back..but we shall see. This is all about a life style change and i cant honestly see myself eating 1200 calories for the rest of my life!

I am jsut so afraid of the number...cause i just dont know how i can lose weight eating all that!!!! Ugh we shall see though!!!
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    (This response was prompted because another poster asked if doing the weight training was mandatory)

I am a huge fan of the Eat More concept. If anyone wants encouragement - please feel free to add me. I have had ups and downs in the journey to be thinner and healthier. I think it is true that what works for one doesn't always work for another. You have to find what works for you.

What I can tell you from personal experience is that some years ago after I had my son I was trying to get the baby weight off and started doing aerobic classes, step up classes, zumba, etc. I was not a big girl - before my son I weighed about 108 lbs and am 5'2 - but I was thick and was wearing about a size 9/10. My gym closed and the only gym close to me was a Gold's Gym (known for big body builders). But since it was the only option and the girls who were doing my classes started doing their classes there - I went in a joined. They wanted to do an "assessment" of me to get me started out with a personal trainer. I took it with a grain of salt as I thought they were just trying to bulk me up and sell their personal training classes. The girl who did my assessment was a very toned but definately looked curvy girl. At this time I was doing back to back classes just about every day so my endurence and stamina was great. She told me if I did a weight training program just three times a week, she promised me I would drop inches and size. She told me it would only take me 20 min. either before or after my classes I was already doing. She set me up on what she called a 10/10 program. I think it was 10 machines/10 reps - three times. It was easy to follow and didn't take much time. In about 2 months I was down to a size 2 - everyone in my class was commenting on how good I looked - I didn't lose much actual weight - but I was very toned and fit. It was the weights that did it - not the cardio classes. Now that was about 15 years ago - lol - so it has not been that easy for me this time around. But my point it - and I am sorry if it is long winded - is that if you are not into heavy lifting - you can still get the benefits of weight training without putting in 2 hours at the gym.

As far as the eating more concept - if you are not getting results at 1200 and you are feeling crappy, shaky and hungry - why not try eating more and see how you feel??? I do think you need to balance out your food - eat more protein and less processed carbs and high sodium foods. I have read on here that a calorie is a calorie and that is is as simple as calories in/calories expended and I understand that concept - but it is not true for me - it totally makes a difference where my calories come from. Also, I do think you see better results if you incorporate a good workout program when you up your calories, especially some weight training.

The new hype is the New Rules of Lifting for Women (which I am into doing right now), but don't let the lifting heavy turn your away from doing any kind of weight training. It all depends on what your goals are.
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Being over 50 and suffering from Hypothyroidism I can tell you that eating more is not working for me personally. I stalled out after 8 months of living on a 1200 calorie a day diet. On advice from friends I upped my calories to compensate for the massive burns from my workouts only to gain 12 pounds.

As a rule I try lot to listen to opinons of others unless they have M.D. or P.H.D. behind their names as each invidividual is unique because of body composition, medical problems, etc...no one formula is going to work for everyone.

I am with this poster. I tried upping my calories and for me it didn't work, but each to their own etc. Just be aware that sometimes it doesn't work for whatever reason.
  • Cathryn81
    Cathryn81 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This was the best post that I've read for my current mindset right now - I totally needed it.

I started P90X on top of the cardio I was doing 8 weeks ago. With cardio and clean eating I was losing 2lbs a week on 1500 cals. then I started P90x and it stopped. 1 lb after a month. I was disappointd but I thought I probably wasn't eating enough so I bumped it to 1800 cals promised myself to "trust the process", and put the scales away . I checked again after 1 month I've dropped 4lbs. But I know that I need to eat more (it's hard to switch your mind) so this post thread and the BMR calculator have convinced me - I'm adding more calories again and going to 2100 - 2200 for the next month. Oh and the scales will go away again for the month. Trust in the process! It's hard to switch will all the info you get bombarded with.
  • Lotte34
    Lotte34 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    mine came out at 1646 this seems like a huge amount of calories, i am struggling to eat 1200 as it is
  • femmi1120
    femmi1120 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Being over 50 and suffering from Hypothyroidism I can tell you that eating more is not working for me personally. I stalled out after 8 months of living on a 1200 calorie a day diet. On advice from friends I upped my calories to compensate for the massive burns from my workouts only to gain 12 pounds.

As a rule I try lot to listen to opinons of others unless they have M.D. or P.H.D. behind their names as each invidividual is unique because of body composition, medical problems, etc...no one formula is going to work for everyone.

I am with this poster. I tried upping my calories and for me it didn't work, but each to their own etc. Just be aware that sometimes it doesn't work for whatever reason.

THIS.

Hypothyroidism tends to make this theory invalid.
  • soulynyc
    soulynyc Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    bumping for later
  • bsinno
    bsinno Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    i too am a recent "Eat More" convert! I was sick of praising myself for eating next to nothing and ignoring the fact that i was snapping at people left and right (im a hungry=grumpy gal LOL) I also felt it was total bull that if i wanted to have a cocktail or two after work I basically had to skip a meal to stay under calores...1200 cals is just not "real life" for me! inevitably, once i would reach my goal weight and return to normal - but still healthy - eating, i would gain fast.

i did quite a lot of research before deciding to give it a go. i'd been at a awfully de-motivating plateau for several weeks. i increased my calories and felt bloated and gained for a week but now i am loosing again! I am actually closer to my goal then ever and weigh myself with a huge smile each week knowing that im EATING TOO!

but to each their own! I for one want to train my body to be a lean mean fat burning machine for life!
  • kword55
    kword55 Posts: 1
    Options
    Thank you for this post, I found it extremely helpful.

It has been hard for me to wrap my mind around the "eat more to lose more" mentality, even though everything you say makes sense. I can definitely feel a difference when exercising - when my body is getting more calories I can work out harder without feeling depleted. And the constant energy is amazing. You did everyone a great service by breaking down the science in laymen's terms!