Replies

• jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lillebanon
    lillebanon Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Definitely interesting. I've been doing research and upping my calories and I'm still on a plateau but I'm staying the course. According to this my TDEE is around 2196. I've currently set my calories around 1750 and I eat back my calories which on workout days brings me up around 2200 give or take.

Does this mean I should be eating 2196 everyday or just workout days. I'm obviously a work in progress but I really want to lose the last 20 lbs!!

Your TDEE includes your exercise calories, averaged out over the week. You eat the same amount everyday and you don't eat back any of your exercise calories (because they are already included) which gives your body consistency, which it will love. If you do have a really high burn from exercise on a certain day though, you do need to make sure you are netting at least your BMR, so that may require eating a portion of the exercise calories back on that day.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Never thought I'd say this, but having trouble eating that much. I'm not going to force it. I'm really full.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Never thought I'd say this, but having trouble eating that much. I'm not going to force it. I'm really full.
    Increase gradually. I know I had to.
  • Kincar
    Kincar Posts: 601 Member
    Options

I increased gradually as well. I added 100 calories at a time.

I've found my body has adjusted, and I'm hungrier which makes it easier to reach my calorie goal. I'm still losing.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Definitely interesting. I've been doing research and upping my calories and I'm still on a plateau but I'm staying the course. According to this my TDEE is around 2196. I've currently set my calories around 1750 and I eat back my calories which on workout days brings me up around 2200 give or take.

Does this mean I should be eating 2196 everyday or just workout days. I'm obviously a work in progress but I really want to lose the last 20 lbs!!

Your TDEE is maintenance consumption. You should eat your TDEE minus your cut on your active days to lose weight. Some people use 15% cut or a 20% cut.

1867 is your 15% cut.

1756 is your 20% cut.

How many exercise calories you eat back depends on your BMR. So find out your BMR and subtract that by which ever cut you chose to use. The number you get will be the most calories you can burn without going under your BMR. If you burn over that number you need to eat back the additional calories burned that took you under your BMR.

Example lets say your BMR is 1600 and you eat the 15% cut of 1867. You would subtract 1600 from 1867 which is 267 calories. If you burn more than that you would eat back the difference. Today you burned 300 calories. That puts you 33 calories below your BMR. You would eat back the 33 additional calories to be at your BMR at least for the day.

On your less than active days you "can" eat a little lower than your cut but never below your BMR.
  • neverstray
    Options
    Increase gradually. I know I had to.

Thanks, it's easier for me if I just leave my goal calorie amount there and Ill just strive to hit it, but I won't eat past being full. I'll get there for sure.
  • neverstray
    Options

Your TDEE is maintenance consumption. You should eat your TDEE minus your cut on your active days to lose weight. Some people use 15% cut or a 20% cut.

1867 is your 15% cut.

1756 is your 20% cut.

How many exercise calories you eat back depends on your BMR. So find out your BMR and subtract that by which ever cut you chose to use. The number you get will be the most calories you can burn without going under your BMR. If you burn over that number you need to eat back the additional calories burned that took you under your BMR.

Example lets say your BMR is 1600 and you eat the 15% cut of 1867. You would subtract 1600 from 1867 which is 267 calories. If you burn more than that you would eat back the difference. Today you burned 300 calories. That puts you 33 calories below your BMR. You would eat back the 33 additional calories to be at your BMR at least for the day.

On your less than active days you "can" eat a little lower than your cut but never below your BMR.

I just set my TDEE at my goal weight. Easy. Set it and forget it.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Alot of interesting information from regular people...I asked my doctor and my old boxing trainer and their advice was so similar I had to share. It goes like this. Eat sensibly and get off your *kitten*...no calorie counting no equations no fluff just good ol fashion building of good healthy habbits for a healthy lifestyle.

It doesn't work that way for some people. Before when I tried to lose weight, I just told myself I'd eat healthier and go to the gym. And guess what? I failed everytime. Because I'd not eat in moderation, I'd eat too large a portion, and I'd berate myself for eating something unhealthy, then give in and eat a whole trifle.

Now I'm calorie counting, I've lost 13.5lbs and counting. I eat what I want, but I make healthier choices for practicality. Sure, I can waste calories on Mcdonalds, but I'll be hungry later and not have much calories to eat with. So I naturally make better choices. And I go to the gym because it makes me feel good and I have confidence and more energy now.

So, no, the 'simple' advice of get off your *kitten* and eat sensibly didn't work for me. Calorie counting works. If it's too much hassle for some, fair enough, but it works for me.
  • chiera88
    chiera88 Posts: 155
    Options
    bump
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Alot of interesting information from regular people...I asked my doctor and my old boxing trainer and their advice was so similar I had to share. It goes like this. Eat sensibly and get off your *kitten*...no calorie counting no equations no fluff just good ol fashion building of good healthy habbits for a healthy lifestyle.

It doesn't work that way for some people. Before when I tried to lose weight, I just told myself I'd eat healthier and go to the gym. And guess what? I failed everytime. Because I'd not eat in moderation, I'd eat too large a portion, and I'd berate myself for eating something unhealthy, then give in and eat a whole trifle.

Now I'm calorie counting, I've lost 13.5lbs and counting. I eat what I want, but I make healthier choices for practicality. Sure, I can waste calories on Mcdonalds, but I'll be hungry later and not have much calories to eat with. So I naturally make better choices. And I go to the gym because it makes me feel good and I have confidence and more energy now.

So, no, the 'simple' advice of get off your *kitten* and eat sensibly didn't work for me. Calorie counting works. If it's too much hassle for some, fair enough, but it works for me.

I have to agree with this too, just eating sensibly is kind of a misnomer...... So many people will think, "I'll get the salad" because it's healthier right? Not realizing that that salad in a restaurant could be up to 1400 calories!!! Until you start really logging calories, and actively making choices based on reality and not perceived "healthy" options you just dont realize that you are not making the healthy choices you thought you were. Once you log them and research them, now you are armed with the knowledge and tools to make better decisions.

This is a journey of educating myself, learning how my body functions best and how best to support this function long term. It may be different for other people, but first I think you need to educate yourself.
  • jennyb612
    jennyb612 Posts: 83
    Options
    Bump for later
  • Crystal0827
    Crystal0827 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Options
    Being over 50 and suffering from Hypothyroidism I can tell you that eating more is not working for me personally. I stalled out after 8 months of living on a 1200 calorie a day diet. On advice from friends I upped my calories to compensate for the massive burns from my workouts only to gain 12 pounds.

As a rule I try lot to listen to opinons of others unless they have M.D. or P.H.D. behind their names as each invidividual is unique because of body composition, medical problems, etc...no one formula is going to work for everyone.
  • Susabelle64
    Options
    Being over 50 and suffering from Hypothyroidism I can tell you that eating more is not working for me personally. I stalled out after 8 months of living on a 1200 calorie a day diet. On advice from friends I upped my calories to compensate for the massive burns from my workouts only to gain 12 pounds.

As a rule I try lot to listen to opinons of others unless they have M.D. or P.H.D. behind their names as each invidividual is unique because of body composition, medical problems, etc...no one formula is going to work for everyone.

I'm curious as to the period of time the 12 pound gain was over? I'm sure that was quite upsetting.
  • SilviCor
    SilviCor Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Options

I'm curious as to the period of time the 12 pound gain was over? I'm sure that was quite upsetting.

12 pounds since February
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options

If you have a MEDICAL condition that affects your metabolism, why on earth would you listen to anyone BUT a professional? That's like me saying that pushups aren't working for me because I am a double amputee. I have said this before and I will say it again:

IF YOU HAVE A MEDICAL CONDITION PLEASE SEEK THE ADVICE OF A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL. THIS INFORMATION IS FOR THOSE OF USE WHO DO NOT HAVE A MEDICAL CONDITION THAT REQUIRES A CERTAIN DIET.
  • Susabelle64
    Options

12 pounds since February

Hypo is under active, right? I sure hope that gets better, I wish you the best :)
  • smitty328
    smitty328 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    bump...I need to check this out!