What is "iifting heavy"?

Options
heidi5k
heidi5k Posts: 181 Member
I keep hearing "lift heavy" or go home. :)
Not sure what this means, how heavy is heavy, and what types of routines people do when they LH.

Thanks!
(I don't want to have to go home...)

Replies

• Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Heavy is relative to you.

If you can lift it more than 12 times its not heavy enough.
    Generally for big compound movements (Squats, benches, deadlifts) you want to max out at about 8 reps. If you can go more, raise the weight till you are at about 5 reps.
    For isolation type exercises (bicep curls, triceps, etc) you want to max at about 12, if not go heavier till you are at about 8
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Figure out the maximum you can lift 1 time.
    Thats your 1RM.

Then drop the weight down after resting for about 1.5-3mins and try to figure out what you 5 rep range is.
    This is heavy lifting.

By lifting in the fashion while having ample rest time between sets youll gain strength as opposed to size.
    Over time you will get bigger but it takes longer because its stimulating different muscle fibers.

If you lifted in the 8-12 range for hypertrophy, youll get bigger but not necessarily stronger.
    Your muscles will fill with sarcoplasm, water and glycogen giving you a "pump".
    If you stopped doing this for a while you would actually look a little smaller and not be strong.

Strength programs tend to be better for people losing weight because it helps maintain lean mass.
    In some ppl you could actually gain lean mass but this is rare and generally comes from folks who are obese II or obese III.

So push for strength.
    3-5 rep range.

Starting Strength and Stronglifts 5x5 would be a good place to start.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Rep 1 - Okay, easy enough
    Rep 2 - This is actually pretty heavy
    Rep 3 - Wow, I can feel it
    Rep 4 - Puuuuuuushh!
    Rep 5 - NRGNRGANNAGNNHH!!
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Basically, if you are lifting weights that are so light you can easily do 15 or 20 reps you are wasting your time. You get stronger, you need a weight that is heavy enough to challenge you. So heavy would be a weight with which you could not complete more than 3 - 8 reps. A moderately heavy weight for building muscle would be a weight you can lift more than say 10 or 12. Most programs will have you doing phases of the same exercise where the load will vary from week to week, to vary the stimulus since our bodies adapt to the load quickly.
  • Sabrina8338
    Sabrina8338 Posts: 20
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing. Thanks!
  • kazzari
    Options
    Yeah, and what everyone else said!,
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Rep 4 - Puuuuuuushh!

LOL

Lifting heavy is very individual

I do 6 to 8 rep. If after 8 reps I could do a couple more, I just add weight next time :)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Rep 4 - Puuuuuuushh!
    This was me on the bench this week....70 lbs
  • kazala
    kazala Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting thread. So I recently did 30 day shred started with 1 lb weights (thought they were 2lb lol) then upped to 2kg (4.4 lb) weights. I'm getting used to these quite quickly. Once I am more used to these how much do I up them, do I go up 1 or 2 lbs a time and increase slowly and gradually, or should I go heavier quicker and push myself ? Cheers
  • heidi5k
    heidi5k Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! I am always amazed how willing mfp peeps are to help. :)

Hopefully soon I'll know what everyone is talking about from experience.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Sort of not accurate advice here. I stay in the range of 8-10 reps. If I hit more than 10, I add weight. It's simple. You want the last 2 or 3 to be really difficult without compromising your form at all. No swinging around and flailing and twisting, and NO HOLDING YOUR BREATH. Lift until it hurts, then do 2 or 3 more. If you don't push, you'll never gets results. You want to feel the burn and work through it.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! I am always amazed how willing mfp peeps are to help. :)

Hopefully soon I'll know what everyone is talking about from experience.

Don't forget to breath and also moaning and grunting will happen :)
  • IamRoJ
    IamRoJ Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Rep 4 - Puuuuuuushh!

Totally this! I've just started lifting about a month or so ago. For me it's when the muscle heads at that part of the gym look kind of smirky like "she can't lift that*" or when I can hop on a set after some grunting sweating guy and *not* have to change the plates. :smile:
  • kazzari
    Options
    This is an interesting thread. So I recently did 30 day shred started with 1 lb weights (thought they were 2lb lol) then upped to 2kg (4.4 lb) weights. I'm getting used to these quite quickly. Once I am more used to these how much do I up them, do I go up 1 or 2 lbs a time and increase slowly and gradually, or should I go heavier quicker and push myself ? Cheers

I don't know anything about that program. How many reps and what kind of exercises? As a trainer, I never started a woman on less than 5 lbs. For any exercise, and they would progress to 10 or 15 very quickly from there, most started at 10 or 15, so I'm guessing you're doing high reps?
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Rep 4 - Puuuuuuushh!

Love it!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    When you make the "ugly" face while lifting it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Can you apply these rules to the weight machines as well? Or only to the free weights?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

This is the definition of not lifting heavy.
  • kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    bump