What is "iifting heavy"?

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Sort of not accurate advice here. I stay in the range of 8-10 reps. If I hit more than 10, I add weight. It's simple. You want the last 2 or 3 to be really difficult without compromising your form at all. No swinging around and flailing and twisting, and NO HOLDING YOUR BREATH. Lift until it hurts, then do 2 or 3 more. If you don't push, you'll never gets results. You want to feel the burn and work through it.

What's not accurate about the posts? Just curious.

You do have a good addition here re keeping form and the breathing.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Rep 1 - Okay, easy enough
    Rep 2 - This is actually pretty heavy
    Rep 3 - Wow, I can feel it
    Rep 4 - Puuuuuuushh!
    Rep 5 - NRGNRGANNAGNNHH!!

^^^:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I'm laughing 'cause it's true!
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Rep 4 - Puuuuuuushh!

Lol this, but when I get to my heavy set I don't think I ever pick it up and think OK easy enough. I usually think "holy F'in cr@p I hope like heII I didn't load too much on"
  • Laurieann137
    Laurieann137 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting thread. So I recently did 30 day shred started with 1 lb weights (thought they were 2lb lol) then upped to 2kg (4.4 lb) weights. I'm getting used to these quite quickly. Once I am more used to these how much do I up them, do I go up 1 or 2 lbs a time and increase slowly and gradually, or should I go heavier quicker and push myself ? Cheers

I don't know anything about that program. How many reps and what kind of exercises? As a trainer, I never started a woman on less than 5 lbs. For any exercise, and they would progress to 10 or 15 very quickly from there, most started at 10 or 15, so I'm guessing you're doing high reps?

You don't want to start at high weights for the type of activity they are doing. I used to do a lot of weight lifiting in high school and have not done much since. I am doing 30 day shred but if I started any higher than 3-5lbs I would not to the activity properly and would probably hurt myself. Starting smaller for this is better. It's not normal weight lifting moves.
  • gacowboy
    gacowboy Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Ok, so as a guy trying to lose weight, should I use more weight and less reps or less weight and more reps? I feel I am not getting enough out of my long walks but have to progress slowly due to bad knees! Just trying to get the maximum workout I can until I gain enough stamina to actually run.
  • jkleon86
    jkleon86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Rep 4 - Puuuuuuushh!

LOL

Lifting heavy is very individual

I do 6 to 8 rep. If after 8 reps I could do a couple more, I just add weight next time :)

How much weight do you add at a time?
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Ok, so as a guy trying to lose weight, should I use more weight and less reps or less weight and more reps? I feel I am not getting enough out of my long walks but have to progress slowly due to bad knees! Just trying to get the maximum workout I can until I gain enough stamina to actually run.

The best way to really burn fat while lifting...do sets in the 8-10 range, alternate upper body and lower body so exercises are done back to back with minimal rest...under 30 secs. This is a metabolic approach that will get your heart rate up, keep it up for duration, while using a challenging weight. No additional cardio needed.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    More weight, less reps. Testosterone and GH release as a result will greatly help your results.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Can you apply these rules to the weight machines as well? Or only to the free weights?
    Generally machines are isolation exercises so you can do slightly more reps(~12) Once you pass that, add weight till it is about 8.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting thread. So I recently did 30 day shred started with 1 lb weights (thought they were 2lb lol) then upped to 2kg (4.4 lb) weights. I'm getting used to these quite quickly. Once I am more used to these how much do I up them, do I go up 1 or 2 lbs a time and increase slowly and gradually, or should I go heavier quicker and push myself ? Cheers

This is the definition of not lifting heavy.
    Agreed. 30DS is not a program for lifiting heavy. Its a lot more endurance. You can cut fat on 30DS but you aren't going to build muscle. And since more muscle = more fat burning...I want the muscle! :)
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    You'll want to focus on big compound movements at high weight/low reps. Doing a deadlift or squat with a high weight feels like sprinting to me (heart rate wise) Make sure you have good form, especially if you have a bad knee.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I know there's some articles and research to back up sets of 5's being some of the best of both strength and hypertrophy, but I'm too lazy to go find them right now (they're older articles). I'm doing a slight modification to Rippetoe's Practical Programming. You do sets across for the work sets, and a few warm-up sets before those with lighter weights. The goal is to be continuously increasing the weight each workout. Stalls happen, but there's ways to deal with that (small deloads followed by microloading, etc.).

Workout A
    Squat 3x5
    Bench Press 3x5
    Cable Pulldowns 3-5x8-12 (in place of 3 sets to failure of pull-ups and chin-ups, alternating those each workout). I still alternate pull-up and chin-up grip on the Pulldowns.

Workout B
    Squat 3x5
    Standing Overhead Press 3x5 (Also known just as the Press)
    Deadlift 1x5

You alternate the workout A and B. So the first week would be ABA on 3 non-consecutive days (most do Mon/Wed/Friday), and then BAB the following week. And so on and so forth.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Can you apply these rules to the weight machines as well? Or only to the free weights?

yes...any resistence..freeeor machine
  • kazzari
    Options

The best way to really burn fat while lifting...do sets in the 8-10 range, alternate upper body and lower body so exercises are done back to back with minimal rest...under 30 secs. This is a metabolic approach that will get your heart rate up, keep it up for duration, while using a challenging weight. No additional cardio needed.

The program I am following right now uses this approach. Last night I did 4 exercises in a row without rest, rested a few minutes, then repeated for a total of 4 rounds. It looked like this:

Deadlifts - 8 reps
    pushups x 10
    Bulgarian split squats x 10
    One arm dumbbell rows x 10

I wore my hrm and this kept my heart rate within the same range I use for running for 27 minutes for a 315 calorie burn. These 4 exercises are then followed by 4 more done at high reps for two sets just to keep the fire burning. It was pretty pukey.
  • LifeChangingExp
    Options
    bump
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I'm a New Rules Girl. It is considered "lifting heavy". Depending on the cycle we'll do 2 sets of 10, 3 sets of 8, 4 sets 6, 5 sets of 4 always at max weight. Obviously I can do more weight with 4 reps than I can when I have to do 10 so you adjust accordingly. You don't necessarily want to be at complete failure, where you will drop the weight on the floor and feel like you are going to die, but the last 2 of the set should feel close to it.
  • kazzari
    Options
    I'm a New Rules Girl. It is considered "lifting heavy". Depending on the cycle we'll do 2 sets of 10, 3 sets of 8, 4 sets 6, 5 sets of 4 always at max weight. Obviously I can do more weight with 4 reps than I can when I have to do 10 so you adjust accordingly. You don't necessarily want to be at complete failure, where you will drop the weight on the floor and feel like you are going to die, but the last 2 of the set should feel close to it.

New Rules fan here, as well. In fact, the workout I posted above is from the New Rules of Lifting Fat Loss III program. I have been doing New Rules programs since 2006, starting with the original, then NROL4W when it came out, NROL4Abs and just got NROL4Life that came out last week. All excellent programs that I highly recommended...results guaranteed. Alwyn Cosgrove is renowned for the results he achieves with clients at his personal training facility, aptly named Results Fitness, with his particular focus on fat loss since that is what the majority of clients are looking for. Not saying there aren't other effective approaches, but you can't go wrong following any of the NROL programs.
  • heidi5k
    heidi5k Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I am starting from a level almost complete ignorance re: weight lifting.

I have free weights at home, up to 15 pounds. Can I use anything here?

Can anyone direct me to a website or youtube series that shows form and routines I could follow?

I'm not quite ready to spring for a gym membership unless I feel like this is something I will actually do, if that makes sense.

- Heidi
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options

New Rules fan here, as well. In fact, the workout I posted above is from the New Rules of Lifting Fat Loss III program. I have been doing New Rules programs since 2006, starting with the original, then NROL4W when it came out, NROL4Abs and just got NROL4Life that came out last week. All excellent programs that I highly recommended...results guaranteed. Alwyn Cosgrove is renowned for the results he achieves with clients at his personal training facility, aptly named Results Fitness, with his particular focus on fat loss since that is what the majority of clients are looking for. Not saying there aren't other effective approaches, but you can't go wrong following any of the NROL programs.
    Awesome! I was wondering what to do when I finish this series...so I'll just go get their others series LOL.
  • zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I'm a New Rules Fan too. It is definitely worth the time and effort. This is something I could do for life!

There has been a lot of good advice on here, but I highly suggest looking into New Rules of Lifting for Women.