What is "iifting heavy"?

Options

Replies

• Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I am starting from a level almost complete ignorance re: weight lifting.

I have free weights at home, up to 15 pounds. Can I use anything here?

Can anyone direct me to a website or youtube series that shows form and routines I could follow?

I'm not quite ready to spring for a gym membership unless I feel like this is something I will actually do, if that makes sense.

- Heidi

bodybuilding.com
    exrx.net
    ---
    You can probably pick up some cheap weights at used sporting goods store.
    ---
    Bodyweight exercises are good for beginners, squats, lunges,pushups, dips. Go to a park nearby, use the bars for dips/pullups.

You can vary form to increase difficulty.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Rep 1 - Okay, easy enough
    Rep 2 - This is actually pretty heavy
    Rep 3 - Wow, I can feel it
    Rep 4 - Puuuuuuushh!
    Rep 5 - NRGNRGANNAGNNHH!!

I love you so hard right now. Exactly this when I'm doing my deadlifts, squats and overhead presses.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Rep 4 - Puuuuuuushh!

:laugh: Pretty much!
  • nichole325
    nichole325 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options

Can anyone direct me to a website or youtube series that shows form and routines I could follow?

I'm not quite ready to spring for a gym membership unless I feel like this is something I will actually do, if that makes sense.

- Heidi

If you have never done any lifting and you plan to workout at home you can do pushups. These go a long way to building strength in your upper body and it usually takes women a while before they are too easy. You can do goblet squats with a 15 lb. DB held at your chest. I would also recommend a pull up bar. The pushups and pullups will cover chest, back, triceps and biceps...they are enough. You don't need to do isolation work for biceps and triceps. You can use the weights you have now for lunges...and there are a ton of variations on the lunge. BTW, since women can often not do even one pull up to start, I use a giant rubberband for assistance. You can buy these online at places like performbetter.com. You choke it onto the bar, kneel into the loop that is formed and it supports enough of your weight to make pullups possible.
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Rep 4 - Puuuuuuushh!

^this.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    In regards to the 30 Day Shred comment, that's not considered weight lifting. That's supplementing cardio intervals and different moves with extra weight, often in a repetitious movement kind of way. You can certainly use 20 pound weights for some of the exercises, but it's nearly impossible for a lot of people (as she points out in the videos). With that said, 1 or 2 pound weights won't make any kind of difference. Of course, I'm giving my opinion here. Like all of us. I would at least go up to 5 pounds for a bit more of a challenge to you, though. You'll see that it won't be that hard, you'll get used to it, and you'll progress.
  • sawyermark
    sawyermark Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Rep 4 - Puuuuuuushh!

snort!
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Bump to save.
  • vegannlg
    vegannlg Posts: 170 Member
    Options

- Heidi

If you have never done any lifting and you plan to workout at home you can do pushups. These go a long way to building strength in your upper body and it usually takes women a while before they are too easy. You can do goblet squats with a 15 lb. DB held at your chest. I would also recommend a pull up bar. The pushups and pullups will cover chest, back, triceps and biceps...they are enough. You don't need to do isolation work for biceps and triceps. You can use the weights you have now for lunges...and there are a ton of variations on the lunge. BTW, since women can often not do even one pull up to start, I use a giant rubberband for assistance. You can buy these online at places like performbetter.com. You choke it onto the bar, kneel into the loop that is formed and it supports enough of your weight to make pullups possible.

Awesome advice for those of us who exercise at home! Extremely helpful.
  • RimRK
    RimRK Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Rep 4 - Puuuuuuushh!

This. Just probably more pouty and dispersed with swear words in three languages when I am at the bench:P
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    The actual weight is all relative to your own abilities. But the concept is that if you can do more than 8 reps, you need to use heavier weights. If you can't get in 3, then you need to drop the weight down. But 6-8 reps is what you should be shooting for!

For some people it's 10 pounds for an exercise, for others it's 200 pounds.
  • wk9t
    wk9t Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Great thread. I'm getting some good tips here
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I would agree as many others have said that you want to remain in the 4-6 rep range to consider your lifting "heavy." Meaning, lift a weight that you can only do with proper form for around 5 reps per set.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    When you make the "ugly" face while lifting it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

haha! So true!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    When you make the "ugly" face while lifting it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

dxeo2o.jpg

Can you tell it's the last rep?
  • lisao62
    lisao62 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I would also add that anyone who wants to learn how to lift heavy should just log off MFP, go to Amazon, and buy "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe.

There endeth the lesson.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this thread....I like to learn about this stuff more & more...I lift heavy for me - 15-20lbs per arm for upper body...Higher for lower body but wanted to make sure I am doing everything right!! Thanks for the advice on here! :)