Don't call me that!

Options

Replies

• cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    My name is Carrie and I've never had anyone try to shorten it. I don't know what they would call me...Car? I have had a few nicknames. To my nephew, I'm Ririe. He couldn't say Carrie when he was little and that is what came out. One Grandpa called me Cacky. My maiden name begins with a C so my initials were CAC which turned into Cacky. My other Grandpa called me Doodles. I have a cousin a year older that he called Noodles, do he would call us Noodles and Doodles.
    I am guilty of shortening names. My daughter Isabella is Bella to everyone. We call my daughter Olivia Liv or Livi.
  • Slendermike
    Slendermike Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    My name is Michael, I like Mike. All I heard growing up was give it Mikey - he likes it hey Mikey - I HATE THAT
    Stupid LIFE cereal - damn you
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I am Christine.

I hate my name.

But I hate Chrissy even more.

and Chris.

and Crystal (how the hell do you get that from Christine?)

and don't even get me started on every idiot on the planet that calls me Christina. Even when I say my name over and over again. and spell it. I get Christina 99% of the time. I hate the name Christina almost as much as my own name.

And then there are the people that think my name is pronounced the same as "Kristen/Christen" yeah........no?

I should have just changed my name at 18, like I wanted to.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Dont call me the unabbreviated version of my name (brianne) unless its something very very very important you have to tell me.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I am Christine.

I hate my name.

and Chris.

and don't even get me started on every idiot on the planet that calls me Christina. Even when I say my name over and over again. and spell it. I get Christina 99% of the time. I hate the name Christina almost as much as my own name.

And then there are the people that think my name is pronounced the same as "Kristen/Christen" yeah........no?

I'm sorry you feel that way Christina. =P
  • Jennjenn1974
    Jennjenn1974 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    It's Jenn or Jennifer.

Never, ever, ever, EVER Jenny....makes me sound like some sort of farm animal :grumble:
  • dinovino_59
    dinovino_59 Posts: 1,700
    Options
    My name is Dean and I am called Dino by most of my friends, what I don't like is when someone makes the Flinstone reference and starts doing the Dino bark....ararararararararar!
  • cdpm
    cdpm Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    My name is not Pip or Pippa. They are different names to Phillipa, if I was meant to be called Pippa or Pip, my parents would have named me that - simple!
  • frixtine
    frixtine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I am Christine.

I hate my name.

and Chris.

My name is Christine too, but I love Christine. I am with you on the other names. I HATE Christina. There is no A at the end, and unless you want to get punched in the testes, you do not call me Chrissy or Christy.

My nickname though, is Frixtine. Is was given to me by my nephew, Christian, who could say his name perfectly, but couldn't say mine to save his life! He's 18 now and I still go by it!
  • LilacDreamer
    Options
    I am Christine.

I hate my name.

and Chris.

My name is Christine too, but I love Christine. I am with you on the other names. I HATE Christina. There is no A at the end, and unless you want to get punched in the testes, you do not call me Chrissy or Christy.

My nickname though, is Frixtine. Is was given to me by my nephew, Christian, who could say his name perfectly, but couldn't say mine to save his life! He's 18 now and I still go by it!

Ugh i forgot Christy/Christie. When my cousin was little, he couldn't say my name so he called me "Titine" and then when he got a little older "Cwistine" "Cwis" and "Cwissy" he would say "why dont you like Cwissy, Cwissy?" and "Hey Cwis....Cwisss? CWISSSSSSY!!!!?" as i sat there ignoring him. such a pain in the *kitten*.

I really wish my parents had put some actual THOUGHT into my name. :\
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    ME! I Introduce myself as Allegra and somehow everyone I work with calls me Alley. I hate it. Then they don't even spell it the way I spelled it when I went by that!
  • LilacDreamer
    Options
    I am Christine.

I hate my name.

and Chris.

I'm sorry you feel that way Christina. =P

ohhh yeah...? well....DiaF!

:D
  • Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    My name is Christine...I love Chrissie but really hate when people call me Chris.

Thank you! My family only calls me Chrissy and close friends...to top it off the soon to b xhusband name is Chris, so it really drives me crazy!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    ME! I Introduce myself as Allegra and somehow everyone I work with calls me Alley. I hate it. Then they don't even spell it the way I spelled it when I went by that!

I don't understand why people insist on calling you something other than what you introduced yourself as. I have a coworker who I have known for five years, always as "Andrea." It's how she introduced herself and it's what everyone calls her. A new hire started calling her "Drea." When asked to STOP called her "Drea," the coworker just laughed it off and said she calls everyone by a nickname, no matter what. But then she said she'd stop. Only, I've overheard this coworker refer to Andrea as "Drea" several times since. *sigh*

My name is Renee. When I was a kid, people called me Nee Nee. I don't mind it, but there is now a small handful of people who still call me that and they're people who have known me since I was very young. Only, every once in a while someone overhears my old friends and some family call me Nee Nee and that person starts calling me Nee Nee. *sigh* again

Although, it only bothers me a little. Mostly because it isn't how I was introduced and it's very familiar.
  • Shawn8216
    Shawn8216 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    OMG yess I hate when people call me Shawna ... I realize my name is Shawn and 'can' be a guy's name BUT guess what, I'm a girl who happened to be named after her father ... Therefore, the name is Shawn, NOT ShawnA with an A .... Nothing against the name Shawna, but when you call me that and it's NOT my name, well then it's kinda annoying! I think maybe he thinks he's being cute and funny with you. I would definiely let him know that even if that's the case, it bothers you.

Good luck !
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Ugh! People in France, especially females of my generation (post 1990), seem to nickname/shorten every single name known to man. I've come quite close to punching people for giving me nicknames even though I've asked them nicely not to.

Seriously, the name's Martine. Not Marie, not Tina and sure as hell not Marty. Period.

There's ONE person on the face of the Earth who's allowed to call me Marie - my dad. If you're not him, don't even think about it.

This is all the more annoying because I really like my name. It's not so common that there are six heads turning when it's called but it's normal enough that I never have to explain how to spell it or stuff.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Ugh! People in France, especially females of my generation (post 1990), seem to nickname/shorten every single name known to man. I've come quite close to punching people for giving me nicknames even though I've asked them nicely not to.

Seriously, the name's Martine. Not Marie, not Tina and sure as hell not Marty. Period.

There's ONE person on the face of the Earth who's allowed to call me Marie - my dad. If you're not him, don't even think about it.

This is all the more annoying because I really like my name. It's not so common that there are six heads turning when it's called but it's normal enough that I never have to explain how to spell it or stuff.

Forgive my ignorance, but how does Martine become Marie? I thought Marie was it's own name.

But then, I know people with kids named Emily and they call them Emma "for short." Emma is not short for anything. It is a name.
  • NurseCarolyn2014
    Options
    My name is Carolyn, people call me Caroline alot. When I was younger I used to hate it, now I kinda prefer it :huh:
    As for shortening my name.........I like when people call me NurseC :happy:
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Yup. Dominique is often shortened to Dom or Dumb. Hate that! I like my FULL name. thank you very much. By the way, my daughter's name is Rachael! Love that name - means "quiet as a lamb"

I don't think anyone would like being called Dumb!
    Haha yes, I love that my name is related to the ewe, and my twin sister, Leigh, means meadow.. sheep in a meadow haha.
    Unintentional and funny to me.

Ha, my name is Rachel Leigh. I always found the "sheep in a meadow" thing very funny.

I hate to be called Rach. My old boss does that to me still, and I cringe when I hear it. I'll answer to almost anything else, but don't call me Rach.
  • BritFitB
    BritFitB Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Ugh, don't call me Britney Spears... Britany is fine by me!!