Don't call me that!

Options

Replies

• FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Yup. Nothing irks me more than being called Jami/Jamie. It's Jamian. Call me Jam, if you MUST shorten it. D:

I've never heard that name before, and I like it!
  • zinok
    zinok Posts: 185
    Options
    My name is Thea. NOT Theadora, not Thee, and especially not Theethee.
    It's also very rare that people pronounce my name correctly unless they know me. I get Tia, Thaya, Tea. It's Thee-ah.
    Also, to all of those who "cleverly" notice my name spells "The A"... Yeah, don't call me that either.
    xD
  • stepherzzzzz
    stepherzzzzz Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I prefer Steph, especially from family and friends.

Same here. I feel like I'm in trouble when people call me Stephanie, plus it's just too long lol.
  • kelsey054
    kelsey054 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    My husbands family calls my daughter Cecilia. Uhm, hello? Her name is Cecily...with an LY at the end?!
  • dollipop
    dollipop Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    My name is Amanda.... not Mandy. Never, ever, ever Mandy.

That's just my preference. I had a boss once try to call me Mandy, and we got that sorted out in about the first 3 minutes of my employment. He'd do it just to rib me on occasion, but I'd never want that to be a nickname.
    Mine too. I grew up with my mum adamant no one would ever call me Mandy. I actually don't mind it but I always correct people, it's as if my mums hang up about it rubbed off on me! My boss calls me Manda Panda. I call him w@nker. It's a fair swap. ;)
  • nakedsun
    nakedsun Posts: 115
    Options
    I don't ever go by my full name. Most people don't actually know that Cory isn't my full first name and are super surprised when they find out. I was even registered at college and work as Cory and my bank now accepts cheques made out to that name.

When people find out Cory is just a short form they try and guess my full name so now I end up being called Cornell by some people who thought it was funny and it stuck :P

I have some friends who have known me from pre: 9th grade (as well as family) who use my full first name but I kind of shed that name when I decided to get some damn self confidence after a really trying time.
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people call me Jenny. You can call me Jennifer or Jen, but Jenny sounds so weird to me!
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    my name is Karylee
    i get called.. carolee, Carol, Kary, Leeanne (my middle name is ann), i used to hate my name as a child.. i like it more now.

none of them really bother me.. i like Carol the least...
  • knapowell
    knapowell Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Another Amy here. I get Aim, Aims, and even the occasional Amous. I don't much mind. On the other hand, my 10 year old daughter is Eva, and she will NOT tolerate anything but Eva. Not Ava, or Evie (2 ways - either like Chevy or long E). From the time she could talk, she would put someone in their place if she was called anything but Eva. She is so funny, because she is the most shy person until someone calls her by the wrong name.

My son is Trent, and a lot of people take it upon themselves to call him Mr. Trent. Now he will sometimes refer to himself in 3rd person as Mr. Trent, but he is 5.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    My name is Valerie and for some reasons every time I meet someone new, they want to call me Val. I tell them, "No, it's Valerie" and they look at me like I kicked their puppy.

I was working in receiving when a vendor came in and needed to know my name for his sales slip. I said Valerie. He says, "Ok thanks Val" and proceeds to call me "Val" in every single sentence he spoke to me thereafter. The next day he came in and says "Hi, Val." I told him, "Please, it's Valerie, not Val." And his eyes widened and he says "Did you have a bad experience with someone calling you Val once?" No, I just don't like it, that's not my name. Then he says "Well every other Valerie I ever met didn't like being called so, they liked Val." Well not me! THAT IS NOT MY NAME!
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    My first name is Mary. So are both of my sisters, all five Aunts, several cousins, and my neices. I go by Mary Ann, my first and middle name. Not Mary. Not Ann. Not Annie or May....Mary Ann. I nearly throat punched my cousin's hubby because for years he would call me Ann (every one but me uses their middle name and not the full name). Every single time I would remind him "It's Mary Ann". Finally I screamed at him "IT IS MARY ANN!!!!" I probably over-reacted, but he calls me Mary Ann now. I win
  • LatinaButterfly
    LatinaButterfly Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    My name is Vannessa and I hate it when anyone thinks that they can call me a shortened version... Van, Vanna, Vanny, V or Nessa... It's just stupid. I'll be impressed when someone actually looks at the spelling of my name and pronounces it right. :)
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I'm Crystal and i hate it. Most people call me Crys(pronounced Chris) or Dot.

My son is Corben, and he will bite the head off of anyone who calls him Ben. I will to. He is NOT Ben. Also not Corb or Corby. He prefers Cubby or Dinosaur.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    I'm Julie but go by Jules mostly. Hate when people 'cute' it up to ju ju or jujubee. I have a friend who always does this. Now he just does it to annoy me.
    I'm not much on pet names either.
  • SweetNaughtyLips
    SweetNaughtyLips Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    My name is Patricia, NOT PATTI
    I don't mind Trish or Trisha, but never ever PATTI

9821387.png
  • Mazzyx
    Mazzyx Posts: 131
    Options
    My name is Marie but I get called, Mary or Maria and for some reason being called Maria just irritates me to no end.

Oh god yes! I give people 3 strikes, I shall let you call me Maria by mistake that many times before I rip your head off lol. I had a lecturer who kept calling me Maria so I refused to acknowledge she had asked me a question until she said Marie lol.
    My friend has just started calling me Mary as a joke and its starting to grate a bit lol!
    I still go by Mazzy from time to time and the OH family still call me Maz lol. I know when they start to call me Marie that Im being taken seriously lol!!
    xxx
  • Mazzyx
    Mazzyx Posts: 131
    Options
    My name is Patricia, NOT PATTI
    I don't mind Trish or Trisha, but never ever PATTI

9821387.png

My Nans name is Patricia- goes by Pat but some call her Patsy!! She loathes it!!
  • hazev74
    hazev74 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    im vera but my friends and family call me v.
  • katya73
    katya73 Posts: 464
    Options
    My name is Katya ... Unless you are Russian 95 % of people cannot pronounce this correctly !! ... Soo it always gets shortened to Kat which doesn't phase me too much ... but I do prefer Katya .. :-)
  • anima_gemella
    anima_gemella Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    My name is Roberta and I get called Ro, Roby, or roro , all of them i like but I dont like Rob ...