Don't call me that!

Options

Replies

• Devin182
    Devin182 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    my name is devin... i really dislike being called dev... i tried to go by de for a while but it never stuck except an aunt that calls me that.

i really hate getting mail that says mr. on it. and when i was a waitress i got a lot of customers that said it was a boys name and i said clearly not. most devin's i know are girls. boys often spell it devon or ive seen deven and devyn for either gender.

I think mail should leave off the title cuz no name is gender specific anymore and you never know. for example jessica simpson just had a girl named maxwell, not a normal girls name. i dont love the name even for a boy but they chose if for a relative.
  • sallywilson06
    sallywilson06 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hate being called Sal, SalPal, Sal Gal, Mustang Sally, Ride Sally Ride.. There's a whole slew of names I get.. my parents really screwed up naming me Sally.
  • SkinnieFinnie
    SkinnieFinnie Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My name is Stephanie.

Most people call me Stephanie. One of my brothers & all of my nieces/nephews call me Finnie. One of my Aunts has called me Stephy all my life, another Aunt calls me Stephanie Anne. A few people call me Steph...

I don't mind any of them except for Stephanie Anne.. it annoys me.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    My name is Mary-Jo. I hate it when people just say 'Mary'. The hyphen's there for a reason, ****heads!
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    My name is Maureen and I don't answer to anything else. The favourite alternative is 'Mo' which I really hate and won't answer to. The only thing worse is when people put 'big' in front of it.

Yes, that's right, some people actually think I want to be spoken/referred to as "Big Mo"! :explode:

(maybe I could persuade them to refer to me as "significantly smaller Mo" now?)
  • rainbowcandy2004
    Options
    My name is Rebecca and I have always been called Becky which I don't mind but I really really dislike Becca. I let ppl call me that once but the 2nd time they are in a for a fight. I had a boss once try to guess my middle name which I told her started with a B and ended with a T and from then on out she called me Rebecca Brat. LOL My middle name is Bridget.
  • ConnieSG
    ConnieSG Posts: 376
    Options
    Real name is Constance, don't like that or people calling my Con. I like being called Connie. My husband calls me his beautiful bride or his sexy bride and we have been married for 10 years.
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    My name is Catherine.... and in general... I want to punch people that call me Cathy.
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm Angela, Angel, Angie, Ang, Aaaaaaang-eh (like the Rolling Stones song), or just A. My employees like to call me Chief. My older female friends call me sweetie or darlin'. I don't mind any of these. People usually do this in an affectionate way, so I think it's kind of nice. :)
  • annalobdell
    annalobdell Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    My name is Anna. Not Ana or Ann or Annie. Also, I have an aunt who calls me Anna Banana. I thought it was just her, but I worked in a nursing home where there was a 98 year old woman and they called her Anna Banana. I hate it! Makes me feel like a child. I am 33 years old. Just call me Anna.
  • Fathima0712
    Fathima0712 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    My Name is Fatima and people call me Fathi,Pathu,Pathoos,Fathu,Paths,etc.......Almost all of my friends call me Paths and my family and BF calls me Pathu Or Pathoos and i love all that.. Even a friend calls me Faithie because according to her thats what my name should have been..Faith..cause i have a lot of it (*rolls eyes*)
    but there some Smug-*kitten* acquaintances out there who like to make fun of the fact that i am overweight and calls me Fatti-ma,Fatty,Fatt-u and many many more intelligent nicknames that i ADORE...(*SO NOT*)
    thank you very much.. but the name is Fatima and behind the fat chick there is a pretty damn intelligent girl who can kick your a** at being awesome!!
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    My son's name is Phillip. Not Phil. Phil is a nice name, but it's not his. I'm learning to let go of how much this bothers me since he doesn't seem to mind.

My name is Shelli. Only people who hold a very special place in my heart may call me Shell. One person gets the honor.

Funny how we can get bent up over the little things, huh?
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    CRICKET! I hated that nickname. TG it didn't last past the age of 4 y.o. LOL I actually don't have a nickname now or growing up which is such a blessing b/c as an adult who really wants to be called a childhood nickname out in public or at work? LOL
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    My name is Cerdwin. My family calls me Edo and I actually like that better. My friends call me Rin and I am fine with that too.

ETA- At work I answer to whatever people call me, I rarely correct them. My name is not an easy one and I hate the hassel of trying to explain how to pronounce it or how its spelled (Since it is not spelled correctly).
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    My name is Jennifer. Most people shorten it to Jen within about 3.2 seconds of meeting me, which I don't mind, though I like Jennifer better. I don't like Jenny and won't answer to it. Which is funny, because my mom named me Jennifer with the full intent of calling me Jenny.
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Born Melissa, I go by Missa. Not a huge fan of Missy wont answer to it. Don't call me Mel.
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    My name is Micah but a lot of my family members call me Mike. It doesn't bother me at all.
  • Sondras09
    Sondras09 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My name is CaSondra, do NOT call me Cassie...I will ignore you! Sondra is fine, just not Cassie.
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    My name is Ariel pronounced R-E-L and I have never had it shortened lol I always wished I had a nickname cuz all of my siblings do, their names are Jacquelynn (Jackie) Jacob (jake) Nichole (nikki) and Debra (Deb) I've always been Ariel so I always felt like the odd one out :P
  • neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    My name is Emma, and I have always *loved* my name. My brothers and husband are allowed to call me "Em", but I prefer not to have my name shortened by people who don't know me. My mom just calls me "Oh my darling daughter"...which is a little weird since I'm in my 30s, but it still makes me smile :-)

I also got a lot of "Emily" when I was a kid - and hated it - but that happens less now that my name has become popular (when I was a kid I was the ONLY Emma I knew - aside from the great-grandmother I was named after - but that ended quickly after Rachel on Friends named her baby Emma....so much for having a "different" name...).

Also, I am a college professor, and I HATE HATE HATE when my students email me and call me "Mrs. Stein". Seriously, I told you on the syllabus and on the first day of class that it's "Dr. Stein" (in my best Dr. Evil voice: "I didn't spent eight years in evil graduate school to be called 'Mrs.'"). Never fails to annoy me.