Don't call me that!

Options

Replies

• DanielleRN8
    DanielleRN8 Posts: 409
    Options
    My name is Danielle and I pretty much hate it when people call me Dani... Or when people can't read and call me Daniel...
  • nas24
    nas24 Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I was always Nichole or as my family calls me Cole, i was great with either of those but the 1st time i moved to WA there was already a Nichole in the neighborhood so my friends there said, we will just start calling you Nikki. I was ok with it, but it carried into high school and through the years of me acting crazy and living a crazy life style, so now that im older, married and with a child, when some of my old friends call me Nikki, I cringe! I don't say anything to them about it, but it is what it is.
  • MissingPixies
    MissingPixies Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    My name is Jessica, I get called Jessie, Jess, and sometimes Jennifer. lol. I don't mind any of it but Jessie and Jess is what I got called as a kid so kinda feels weird sometimes to be called that as an adult.

My name is Jessica too.. As a kid I was called Jessie all the time, and now a days when people call me Jessie I get irritated, and that name (Jessie) just feels so childish... I don't mind Jess though, I kind of prefer that over Jessica.

Also most of everyone I don't know think I'm a Jennifer.
  • AshleeOllmann
    Options
    My name is Ashlee. I have an uncle who used to call me Ashes which made me want to throw up. I had a few brilliant friends in school who loved trying to sneak in an *kitten*-lee every now and then. Ash is not so bad.
  • nas24
    nas24 Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    This is the same reason it took so long to name our daughter because both my husband and i hate when people cut up other's names. I wanted to name her January but i knew people would call her Jan, and that made me want to choke people. I finally found the name Estella but since we knew people would call her Stella, we cut her name and named her Estelle. If i hear one person cut her name, i will cut them...lol
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    My name is Nicola, people out here in the US usually keep asking how to pronounce it, so I've gone by Nikki for years. My husband has always called me Nikki too, so when he calls me Nicola or 'Nic', which is even worse, I admit I cringe too...
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I've been Jenni basically my whole life (though it was spelled Jenny before I changed it about 14), I guess I told my parents, at about age 2, that I was "no Jennifer, I Jenny." I don't necessarily feel like I'm in trouble with Jennifer, it's just not my name to me. I've never gone by Jennifer. :) I like the name for other people, just not me. :smile:

My boyfriend is Rob to me, Robert to his family. Apparently they called him Bobby as a child and he hated it and told them he was Robert. lol They all looked at me like I was crazy when I called him Rob. :laugh:
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    My real name is Faith. My family and very close friends call me Faithie, which sounds totally weird to most strangers. But hey, how many nicknames are there for "Faith"?? :glasses:
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I'd be honest with him to begin with.. Just tell him, that you don't like being called that. I'm sure he meant no harm. If he respects you, he will not want to call you something you don't like. That being said, I'm ok with being called Michael or Mike... Does not bother me either way.. as long as it is not a student... Students are not allowed to call me by my first name.
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hate being called Sal, SalPal, Sal Gal, Mustang Sally, Ride Sally Ride.. There's a whole slew of names I get.. my parents really screwed up naming me Sally.

My twin sister is named Sally too :)
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I go by Fran but my full name is Frances. I really loathe being called Frances! I used to really dislike my name no matter how you said it but since I'm stuck with it I've learned to deal. My family still calls me Frannie even though I'm almost 41 years old! I just deal with that too.
  • Alice_Liddell
    Options
    I get called "Mary" instead of "Marie" ALL OF THE TIME. I don't get it. I have NEVER met someone named Mary who spelled it like Marie. It's not like it's a super weird name. Nearly every girl around my age has it as a middle name. Why is it so hard for people to grasp?

I don't actually mind Maria, which I get a lot. It seems to make more sense if they've only heard my name. But Mary makes me rage.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    My real name is Faith. My family and very close friends call me Faithie, which sounds totally weird to most strangers. But hey, how many nicknames are there for "Faith"?? :glasses:

I have a friend whose daughter is named Faith and they all call her "Faithers". Kind of strange but like you said, how many nicknames are there?
  • braign
    braign Posts: 89
    Options
    I don't think I have an issue with whatever people call me. I'm Emma, and I'll accept Em/Emma/Emmie, but people seem to prefer Emma anyway, and I get a tonne of compliments on it when people see my nametag at work. I think it's weird to have issues with a name sounding 'childish', because every name in existence belongs to the young, old, and in between!

I personally only shorten names if they introduce themselves to me with a shorter name, or they're family (like my brother Ant and sister Nik. We can't shorten Laura's name, but we did call her Wa-wa when we were babies lol).
  • klakers3
    klakers3 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    My name is Kristi and I HATE being called Kris or Krissy. There was this lady I knew growing up that always called me Krissy...it drove me crazy. I also get asked a lot if my name is short for Christina. Nope. Just Kristi.
  • BCKS
    BCKS Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    My name is Bethany. I HATE being called Beth!

I went by Beth as a kid because nobody ever heard of Bethany and for some reason they could never get it right, so it was easier to just go by Beth. As I got older, I decided I preferred my real name much more.

I still to this day get called: Tiffany, Stephanie, Brittany, Beverly..... UGH! It's BETHANY!
  • RachFace1000
    RachFace1000 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    As you can tell from my username it doesn't bother me at all when people call me Rach (: most people do actually. I hate pet names though. Babe, or baby girl are fine but the mushy "snuggle bear" and stuff like that makes me want to puke. Once i had a boyfriend who asked for me to give him a pet name, and said he'll think of one for me. Nope, not happening.

Edit: Rachie rubs me the wrong way though.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options

My boyfriend had me under 'Racheal' in his phone for about a year haha and I still get it on birthday cards from even family!

My sister also gets Leah.. it's Leigh! Sometimes she gets Lee too, and the hospital she went to for years (heart murmer) always had her as a Mr no matter how many times my mam told them its Miss!

Its the worst when it is someone you know really well, because you can't really say anything without making them feel bad.
  • NancyNiles
    NancyNiles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with my name, but I named my son Andrew and it irks me when people call him Andy or Drew. It doesn't bother him, just me. But I know a time may come when I'm the only person left who still calls him Andrew, lol.
  • laughingnome
    laughingnome Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    My name is Lesly but I am always called Lez. Doesn't bother me but when I meet new people they feel funny saying Lez. A woman came over to give me an estimate on work to be done and her name was Gay. We got a laugh out of it