Cardio vs. Strength training results (pic)

Options

Replies

• DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Amazing!!!
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Really inspiring.

I started 5x5 two weeks ago and am going with the program, so I really drastically reduced my loads. You're outlifting me right now! :smile:

I started with just the bar too! Adding 5 lb every lift seemed so daunting, but it's amazing what the human body can do. I was so excited to put my first 45's on the bar!

Good luck with 5x5! You will do great!!
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Awesome results! I too have cut back on cardio and am doing the New Rules program - hoping to see similar results!

I'm curious - do you still eat at a deficit?
  • Tennybird
    Tennybird Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I really needed to see this today. I also recently cut back on cardio to try heavy lifting. Since I started I have only seen the scale go down 1/2 pound. Can I ask how you are eating? Did you keep you calories the same as when you were doing mostly cardio or did you up your calories? I'm so confused about how much I should eat.
  • Cmonnowguys
    Options
    Awesome results! I too have cut back on cardio and am doing the New Rules program - hoping to see similar results!

I bought New Rules after many on here recommended it! I plan to switch to that program once I slow down with Stronglifts. It's a great book!

My first month I was netting around 1200. Once I started lifting I upped it to 1400 and recently to 1600. Depending on the workout i did, I net anywhere between 1500-2200 and I try to hit my macros of 30protein/25fat/45carbs. I've stayed at 158 for two weeks, since upping my cals, but I should go back down once my body adjusts.
  • Cmonnowguys
    Options
    Congrats! I really needed to see this today. I also recently cut back on cardio to try heavy lifting. Since I started I have only seen the scale go down 1/2 pound. Can I ask how you are eating? Did you keep you calories the same as when you were doing mostly cardio or did you up your calories? I'm so confused about how much I should eat.

Thank you! Cardio helps you lose faster, but strength training ensures that what you lose is fat. It's slower, but so worth it. I took a pic every Saturday and even when my weight loss slowed, the pics show me I'm still making progress. Measurements do that too and give you the decrease in numbers that you want to see.

My first month I was netting around 1200. Once I started lifting I upped it to 1400 and recently to 1600. Depending on the workout i do, I net anywhere between 1500-2200 and I try to hit my macros of 30protein/25fat/45carbs. I've stayed at 158 for the last two weeks, since upping my cals, but I should go back down once my body adjusts.

If you're hungry on days you work out, even if you're netting your goal, maybe try upping your cals. You might stay at the same weight, but the loss should continue once your body adjusts. My maintenance number is around 2200 cals, so anything below that is a deficit that should lead to weight loss. I try not to net below 1500 or else I usually get grumpy, hungry, and sleepy. Lol, I could give SnowWhite's dwarves a run for their money.
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    wow great job! I can't wait to be able to join a gym and start lifting heavy but my fitness level is like zero so I have to work on walking for long distances right now lol
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I do both cardio and weights (about 50/50)... I appreciate your comments and am impressed with your progress. Great transformation.. Keep it up!
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    You look FANTASTIC!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    wow great job! I can't wait to be able to join a gym and start lifting heavy but my fitness level is like zero so I have to work on walking for long distances right now lol

Really, it would be best to just start where you are at... It is what you will have to do anyway. If your problem with starting the gym is financial, just do what you can do... If it is a fear that you are not ready to start lifting, there is no time like the present ... Start where you are at...

I started at the gym about 4 months ago (late January) .. I was doing like an 80 lb chest press... Today, I did a 180 lb chest press... But I had to start where I was at... Other machines show similar results... Nothing you can do but just get started.
  • Candoall
    Candoall Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Nice...thanks for sharing.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    amazing results. keep up the good work
  • Cmonnowguys
    Options
    Thank you all so much. The ladies on here motivated me to start lifting in the first place. I'm glad I could do the same for others!
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    stunning results!
    great job :)
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options

Really, it would be best to just start where you are at... It is what you will have to do anyway. If your problem with starting the gym is financial, just do what you can do... If it is a fear that you are not ready to start lifting, there is no time like the present ... Start where you are at...

I started at the gym about 4 months ago (late January) .. I was doing like an 80 lb chest press... Today, I did a 180 lb chest press... But I had to start where I was at... Other machines show similar results... Nothing you can do but just get started.
    I was thinking about joining a gym this summer after my kiddos get out of school, it's a mix of things , financial , schedule conflicts and fear of getting injured.
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options

I bought New Rules after many on here recommended it! I plan to switch to that program once I slow down with Stronglifts. It's a great book!

My first month I was netting around 1200. Once I started lifting I upped it to 1400 and recently to 1600. Depending on the workout i did, I net anywhere between 1500-2200 and I try to hit my macros of 30protein/25fat/45carbs. I've stayed at 158 for two weeks, since upping my cals, but I should go back down once my body adjusts.

I just got that book and upped my cals--i'm much more satisfied and still losing the lbs :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    I get the same results from clients who concentrated only on cardio then come to me for help. Toss them to the racks and bust their *kitten* on heavy lifting. They may not lose a lot of weight but they drop in clothing size all the time. Good job.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • eliwolford08
    Options
    I just started an Strength training program called ChaLean Extreme which its based on using weights. Since I just started and haven't really done any weights mostly cardio or Kickboxing I'm hoping will help me out. So I am very excited to see my self after the 90 days!! Your pictures sure giving me some encouragement and something to look forward to. THANKS FOR POSTING!!:flowerforyou:
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    You look awesome! I love it when a woman isn't afraid of getting out of her comfort zone & getting great results. I'm so fed up with all those cardio bunnies out here who doesn't like to lift weights because it will make them "manly" & swears that cardio alone can make them burn fat or worse those who are lazy enough to exercise but then complain that they still look flabby or are getting fatter once they reverted back to eating normal.

I love to see more women here who aren't afraid to lift heavy. Strong women rock!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    I just started an Strength training program called ChaLean Extreme which its based on using weights. Since I just started and haven't really done any weights mostly cardio or Kickboxing I'm hoping will help me out. So I am very excited to see my self after the 90 days!! Your pictures sure giving me some encouragement and something to look forward to. THANKS FOR POSTING!!:flowerforyou:
    Chalean isn't really heavy lifting, but more of a muscle endurance lifting program. There's a big difference between heavy weight lifting and weight lifting for endurance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!