27 But Eat Like a 5 Year Old.

Options
124»

Replies

• anaboneana
    anaboneana Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Flipping through just the past few days, I can already tell you that you need to be eating more. You don't want to go into starvation mode.. Other thoughts: less pre-packaged meals, more fruits/veggies
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I agree on challenging yourself to try new things and finding food you like. Kale chips are THE GREATEST. Non veggie lovers love them. Putting greens in smoothies is definitely a great idea. Eating "gourmet" style salads. I wont eat a plain chef style salad, but hand me an apple walnut something with feta cheese and I'll gobble it up.

a lot of times picky eaters come from years of eating cheaply (as often families are) Canned and mushy frozen vegetables are gross. Really. An acorn squash with a little bit of cinnamon and honey in the center? DELICIOUS. Just wilted cabbage stir fry? Delicious. Microwaved and soggy broccoli? Not so much. Finding out that food isn't as bad as it was when you were poor (if this applies) is a great thing.

Steamables aren't so bad, but canned and most frozen mixes are really kind of unappetizing. Eating crisp veggies with grill lines and some kind of tasty sauce is WONDERFUL.

Also, there's an author on allrecipes who specializes in single person cooking- she cooks every sunday and has meal plans. Stuff like black bean burritos (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/delicious-black-bean-burritos/detail.aspx?event8=1&amp;prop24=SR_Title&amp;e11=black bean burritos&amp;e8=Quick Search&amp;event10=1&amp;e7=Home Page <-- I dare you not to like those, just try it!) or enchiladas verde that you just separate into meals for yourself and freeze. :)

With a sweet tooth, I strongly suggest getting it under control by doing a sugar restart. I say this as I eat a huge slice of cheesecake, but nothing is better than not being a slave to the sugar. I have an AWFUL sweet tooth, but every once in a while I skip out on all added sugar for 3 weeks and come back relieved. Even an overripe mango will have you crying out, "But I can't, it's just -tooooo- sweet"
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Everyone has given you wonderful advice, but putting it into practice could seem overwhelming. So, I wanted to invite you to join the mini-goal one week challenge group. There we commit to a couple of doable goals for one week. That way, you take baby steps and accomplish small goals, which in turn will become lasting habits.
    You can do this!
  • centaurfilly
    Options
    You can feel free to add me if you'd like. I also have PCOS. I really sympathize with you because I probably started at the same place about 8 years ago. I hated exercise and ate horribly (all tv dinners and fast food!). When I got diagnosed with PCOS, I lost about 60+ pounds, but over the last few years I've been slipping back into terrible habits.

Before joining MFP I lost 28 pounds that doesn't show on my tracker, and have been doing it this time by eating a lot of whole foods rather than processed junk. I'll admit that when I lost weight 8 years ago, I still did a lot of convenience foods, but just healthy ones. Like knowing all the places in town I could get tasty salads, going to salad bars sometimes, ordering food from the deli at the grocery store. I'm stricter with myself this time around and try to make my own food rather than eating out, i also shop organic/Whole Foods. I agree about the George Foreman grill! That is great for me on days when I just don't feel like cooking! I also bake chicken for more than one day so on other days I can just grab and go. (I work fulltime and am a student too so it's always go go go for me).

Start small and then go from there :). I found as a PCOS'er and with metabolic issues related to that (currently have a sporked thyroid now too), I tend to do better on lower carbs. It doesn't have to be extreme like Atkins, but 8 years ago I limited to 60 carbs a day. I'll admit they weren't always healthy carbs. Nowadays, I try to get my carbs from fruits and veggies.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I grew up with horrible eating habits that have translated into my adult life. I had issues with my weight in high school, then got down to a healthy weight in my early 20s. Now, I seem to have gotten into a tough spot with my weight. I rarely stay on track and give up easily, but I want this to work out this time. Can anyone offer advice? I know my logs are pretty horrible; you'll see what I mean about bad eating habits!!!

I'd say I'm a prime example of someone who eats pretty bad pretty frequently and does fine. I think my diary is open and everyone should note the impressive 1800 calories of Mac and cheese I've had in the last two days. I added in hot dogs, bacon, extra cheese, bread crumbs, and fried onions. Absolutely delicious! Oh yeah, my point was that you just have to stay under your cals. Eating better quality foods will make this easier, but I just eat at maintenance when I'm still hungry because I ate poorly. Remember maintenance isn't weight gain, it's just a day of no progress.
  • jodyw83
    jodyw83 Posts: 38
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I love mac and cheese and hot dogs and pizza and fries and chips and... well.. junk! It was really hard when I was starting this out to miss out on certain things, but then I realized. You don't have to! You can have all of that stuff, just less of it. You will be hungry for the first few weeks, but then you will start to notice it is easier. I went through this when I quit smoking, but I stuck with it and after a couple months of withdrawal symptoms it was so much easier to keep going. But you should definitely let yourself eat more. Less calories means more weight loss, but it also means more frustration, hunger and low energy. If you cut 500 calories a day from your minimum, you should net about 1 pound a week of weight loss. 1000 calories a day should be about 2 pounds a week. Now if you cut 1500 calories a day, you are only looking at about a 2.5 pound weight loss because your metabolism slows down, since you body doesn't have to work as hard at breaking that food down! So is it really worth it? Planning ahead is really going to help too. And if you can cook, I would. It is amazing how delicious of food you can premake on a day you are not so busy (and all that cooking gets you on your feet and burning calories!) that will fit into your plan. But you have to eat more, or the changes will never stick. You will be so miserable that you will just want to quit. Just make sure you enter EVERYTHING you eat into the app and you will definitely lose weight! I feel like I'm in the same situation as you, but I'm about 41 days in! I can't believe it either! haha So if you would like to be friends I would love to have a buddy to help share and encourage!
  • jodyw83
    jodyw83 Posts: 38
    Options
    I agree here too. Baby steps. Even if you are over the first few weeks, you can get a better idea of what you like and what you wouldn't mind subbing in here and there. But be wary, because "low-fat" usually means higher in sodium and sugar and "low sugar" a lot of the times means artificial sweeteners that are not so good for you either! Sometimes it's so much better to just have a small amount of the real deal then a lot of the fake stuff!
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Maybe you try a new fruit or vegetable every day until you get a good amount that you like. Do you log everything that you eat also? If not, you would definitely want to be eating more.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. So my weight is a lot harder to drop than most and I have an obscene addiction to sugar and carbs. I am trying to get to a place where I can be healthy enough to attempt pregnancy, so this time I REALLY need to stick to a healthy life plan.

I'm going to be blunt. Every post is an excuse for why you can't lose weight. You don't like exercise. You can't cook. You have PCOS. Can't, can't, can't.

How about focussing on the things you can do? Start trying new things. I have PCOS and used to make the exact same excuses. 'Oh I have PCOS and it's harder to lose weight. You don't understand' Well I understand and it's not true. You CAN lose weight you just don't want it enough.

Microwave meals are fine if you're starting out. They are high on sodium though so you must drink your water. While its good to eat clean it's not as important as eating the right calories. I'm the same weight and am eating 1673 calories and am losing weight. You NEED to eat more.

Agreed - I also have (had?) PCOS, and I've lost 75lb. It can be done. I was 260+ when I started (and I'm 3 inches shorter than you!), and I could barely walk down the block without getting winded. I started out just tracking what I ate, and walking around the block. Then gradually adding an extra lap around a smaller block, and another, etc. Baby steps - I always say, some exercise is better than none. Like others said, find something you like to do, so that it doesn't seem like exercise. Or, find a buddy to walk with you (or a dog!). Try meetup.com, you might find a new activity you enjoy!

I also lived by myself then - I would cook extra and save it for meals later that were already portioned out. The george foreman is a good idea. So is a slow cooker - you can even get it all ready the night before, and start the slow cooker in the morning.

Regarding the self-esteem - like I said above, I was way bigger than you, and shorter. I understand where you're coming from. But one day I realized, I had to accept who I was, right then. And if there was something I didn't like about myself (like my weight), I would change it. But you have to accept and love who you are, just as you are, and not for anyone else or because someone else does.

And lastly, if you're addicted to sugar & carbs - don't eat them. It's like giving an alcoholic a beer (even just a sip!). I eat real foods - veggies, protein, fat, a little fruit, and I've learned what my triggers are that start the carb binges. Anything wheat, white potatoes, sugar (ice cream, candy) for sure trigger it for me (even small amounts! it's much easier for me not to have ANY to begin with). I can do sweet potatoes and rice in controlled amounts (about 1/2 c.), and bananas and berries (NO apples, I'll be hungry again in an hour!). I now think of food as fuel - and when I put crap in, I get crap out in terms of my energy levels. It's not just the amount of calories you eat, it's the quality of them, too.

Feel free to add me or PM me if you have any questions. :flowerforyou:
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the responses so some of this may be repetitve so I will apologize in advance.
    Add your Sodium to your log.. with alot of those prepared foods, you will get more sodium.

JUST DO IT... I have had every excuse in the book as to why I shouldn't, couldn't or wouldn't take care of myself.

Its not a DIET, you are not DEPRIVING yourself.. you are giving yourself a lifestyle change...

You can eat sweets and carbs and whatever else you want BUT IN MODERATION.. and frankly, when I plug a snickers bar into the log to see the calories count, I decide I do not want it, that I would rather have other things...

So I use the calorie counter before I eat....
    If I want to treat myself to a flavored iced coffee- I do not do it instead of a meal, I work out extra that day so I can have it.
    I have had surgery on both knees, and I have Multiple Sclerosis which affects my vision, legs and balance.. so I bought some new sneakers and started walking.. at first I was winded after one mile.. and felt like my legs were gonna fall off.. NOW, i walk at least 3-5 miles a day and I am starting to jog a bit..
    I also do Pilates and Yoga to gain back some flexibility and I ZUMBA for a fun, social way to burn a few calories (and trust me when I say It was comical to watch me in the back of the room redfaced and tripping over my own feet....
    JUST DO IT.. you will be amazed at how good you feel each day... Just look for the small victories..

CHECK OUT THIS VIDEO FOR MOTIVATION:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448&amp;feature=youtu.be

No more excuses, you can do this.....
  • SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I love mac and cheese and hot dogs and pizza and fries and chips and... well.. junk! It was really hard when I was starting this out to miss out on certain things, but then I realized. You don't have to! You can have all of that stuff, just less of it. You will be hungry for the first few weeks, but then you will start to notice it is easier. I went through this when I quit smoking, but I stuck with it and after a couple months of withdrawal symptoms it was so much easier to keep going. But you should definitely let yourself eat more. Less calories means more weight loss, but it also means more frustration, hunger and low energy. If you cut 500 calories a day from your minimum, you should net about 1 pound a week of weight loss. 1000 calories a day should be about 2 pounds a week. Now if you cut 1500 calories a day, you are only looking at about a 2.5 pound weight loss because your metabolism slows down, since you body doesn't have to work as hard at breaking that food down! So is it really worth it? Planning ahead is really going to help too. And if you can cook, I would. It is amazing how delicious of food you can premake on a day you are not so busy (and all that cooking gets you on your feet and burning calories!) that will fit into your plan. But you have to eat more, or the changes will never stick. You will be so miserable that you will just want to quit. Just make sure you enter EVERYTHING you eat into the app and you will definitely lose weight! I feel like I'm in the same situation as you, but I'm about 41 days in! I can't believe it either! haha So if you would like to be friends I would love to have a buddy to help share and encourage!

I fully agree with this post.
    And even though I'm not single, I end up cooking just for me a lot of the time since both my husband and daughter are on very different diets due to food intolerances/allergies, so I quite regularly cook 2 or even 3 different meals a night.

Cooking a meal for 4 and then freezing 3 portions works really well for me. So does having the same meal a few days in a row. For example, I'm having a chicken stirfry for tonight, but I have way too many veggies for 1 person so I'm putting them in an airtight container and will have the same meal on wednesday.

And I keep having my treats, just not every day and I make sure the portions are small and fit in my calorie count for that day.
    Going hungry and depriving yourself is really not going to work long-term, you'll want something you can stick with.

Feel free to add me if you wish, I could always do with more friends :)
  • ilovesparkle
    ilovesparkle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Wow, so much great advice!!! Thank you all!