I hate water. How do I increase my water intake?

Options

Replies

• rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Montmorency Tart Cherry concentrate. One ounce or less in an eight ounce glass is yummy! I am a huge RO water fan (icky well water made delicious this way) and find a wee bit of fruit juice goes a long way. Tried Mio for the first time yesterday. Tastes fake but can see it would be helpful in getting large quantities of water in system
  • BNance509
    BNance509 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You could use MIO or Chrystal light in it. You can make some sassy water it has lots of good stuff in it. You can buy flavored bottled water as well just watch some are loaded with sugar.
    Sassy Water
    Time -
    Serves 1
    Ingredients
    2 liters water
    1 tsp fresh, grated ginger
    12 mint leaves
    1 cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
    1 lemon, thinly sliced

How to make it
    Combine all ingredients in pitcher.
    Drink all in one day.
    (if you let it sit overnight, the flavors are stronger...personal preference)
    Enjoy!
  • ponchan
    ponchan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You could either follow Bear Grylls' examples or just drink it. It's water..
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Just guzzle it. If sipping on it sucks, pour yourself a huge glass of barely cool or room temp water and then just down it all at once.
    Do this several times a day and you've hit your water intake! Sip on other stuff throughout the day.
    The "pain" is temporary, the benefits are worthwhile! :)
    This is what I do too!

There are no benefits to drinking plain water over other fluids for the purposes of hydration. Drink what you enjoy.
    Why endure the "pain:?

Personally I don't want to drink a minimum of 64 ounces of artificial sweeteners, or sugar, or any other thing that seems to be in most other beverages. It's actually not painful for me anymore. I love my water now, it just took some time. Now that water is my primary beverage, my skin looks healthier, my stomach hurts less and I generally feel better.
    For you, that's great.
    But the OP has stated she doesn't like it.
    By the way, things like soup have things in them that have nutrients. Coffee has antioxidants and has been shown to prevent Type II diabetes so as well as the hydration factor it has benefits that plain water doesn't have.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    On a hot day, crush up some mint leaves and put those in the water.
  • rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Herbal tea and mineral water are good.
    Green tea is good too, but it's also a mild diuretic and has some caffeine in it, so it shouldn't replace water in your diet.
  • deetrel
    deetrel Posts: 11
    Options
    I like the Mio aslo
  • workoutgirl23
    workoutgirl23 Posts: 267
    Options
    Try drinking more juices and milks. or better yet. flavor your water with something low calorie. it will taste great and you'll still be drinking water.
  • grex1949
    grex1949 Posts: 130
    Options
    Drink more water.
  • barbaradilisio
    Options
    Sometimes I get really sick of just drinking water too. Things that have helped me are putting a little lemon or orange in it and drinking it with a straw. For whatever reason, the straw helps me drink more!
  • maddyg1989
    maddyg1989 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I drink about 4 800ml bottles a day all mostly with a half lemon squeezed into it. I havent thought about the acid but its not much so Im not worried. Id rather be getting enough water and I brush my teeth twice a day. I dont think they acid could harm you internally could it???

Acid is fine for consumption unless you're prone to reflux or have ulcers or something. The acid from lemons is however very hard on your teeth.

I've never thought about it. I only end up putting in maybe 30ml for each 800ml bottle (if that) so Im not bothered. At least the water tastes better and its better than drinking sodas lol :smile:

The acidity in lemons is really good for you because it makes your body more alkaline which is a better body state. Just make sure you rinse out your mouth after. ;) Also, I've noticed my stomach ulcers I had from college stress have stopped hurting and are indeed healing. I'm assuming its due to the lemon water. (quit sodas months ago).
  • Ravenesque_
    Ravenesque_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    i use sugar free squash. the water here is so hard and metallic even twice through a brita filter its undrinkable.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand the "I hate water" argument. Water doesn't even taste of anything so how can you hate it? If you want a reason to drink it maybe this will help: on the weeks I drink under 8 glasses a day I lose 1lb or under, on the weeks when I drink 8 or more glasses a day I lose 1.5-3.5lb. That's a good enough incentive for me :happy:
  • ColleenAtherton
    ColleenAtherton Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Mio Liquid water enhancer.

^^^^This...I have been able kick my soda habit entirely with Mio. I love the energy flavors!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Do you or have you ever drank alcohol to excess?

I did, and still do occassionally. Particularly in college, chugging this, that, and the kitchen sink was a pretty common Tuesday occurence.

I drink my water the same way. Make it a challenge, and go.
  • Dozrzz
    Dozrzz Posts: 245
    Options
    As mentioned earlier, I actually prefer my water room temperature. If it is really cold I feel like it is kind of harsh when I drink it if that makes sense.

The other thing is honestly when I first started trying to increase my water I HATED it! Absolutely could not stand water! Didn't matter what I did to it. But I finally just decided to force myself to drink it. Eventually (and I mean after months and months.) I started to hate it less and less and eventually did not mind it at all. But I started out really dreading it.

It is kinda that whole thing about making it a habit. Once I had started doing it regularly it just happened and I didn't have to think about it anymore.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to quote the long post either but it's good advice. My water story - never liked it either. I'd only had tap or Aquafina bottled and I hate Aquafina worse than tap - it just tastes gross to me. Then once on a flight I was handed a bottle of Ice Mountain and it actually had no taste. I felt like I had an epiphany - This is what water is suppose to be like! So I by Ice Mountain in bulk at Costco and roll my eyes at all the articles that tell me I'm wasting my money cause the whole $0.22 / bottle is totally worth it for me if it gets me to drink it. I like it best ice cold (I keep a rotation of two bottles in and out of the freezer). Also the more I exercise the more I crave water over pop.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I don't know the specific name of the things but I did see in a shop (Cost Plus World Market if anyone wanted to know) these little plastic balls you can fill with juice or fruit or basically anything and freeze into ice balls to put into water to flavor it as well as keep it cold. I think they're meant for jugs and pitchers but it's something to look in to if you'd like to find another way that directly squeezing lemons into your water.

Myself, if I go some place that serves tap water or I'm at someone else's home I like to squeeze an orange into my water. I know it's still acid but I find the flavor much more pleasant.

Personally I don't advocate the packets of flavor stuffs like Crystal Light because of the artificial sweeteners. I find it too overbearing and I end up drinking twice as much water as I need because it makes me thirsty. I don't really believe they can really hurt you unless drunk in excess (and I mean excess) but I know a lot of people get upset stomachs, headaches, or just general unpleasantries from it, the same reason they cut down or stopped drinking diet sodas with the stuff in it. But, that's my personal preference and I'm not saying don't or do, that's your choice on that subject.
    I really don't understand the "I hate water" argument. Water doesn't even taste of anything so how can you hate it?

Never had much tap water, did you? Either that or you're one of the lucky few that has tap water that tastes decent. The tap water where I live tastes a lot like chlorine so I have to rely on bottled water and a filter on my kitchen sink's faucet. I couldn't even make tea with the tap water because even though I'd boil it, it made the tea taste metallic no matter which kind I used. I stayed somewhere in Mississippi once when I was younger and their tap water tasted like it had a car tire soaking in it, I'm not joking. So really it's easy to hate the stuff when what's coming out your faucet, water fountains, and being served to you in a restaurant has a funk to it. It's why I never drank water in its pure form until I began my weight loss journey.
  • elfo
    elfo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Seltzer-
    make sure it's sodium free
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Just guzzle it. If sipping on it sucks, pour yourself a huge glass of barely cool or room temp water and then just down it all at once.
    Do this several times a day and you've hit your water intake! Sip on other stuff throughout the day.
    The "pain" is temporary, the benefits are worthwhile! :)
    This is what I do too!

There are no benefits to drinking plain water over other fluids for the purposes of hydration. Drink what you enjoy.
    Why endure the "pain:?

Personally I don't want to drink a minimum of 64 ounces of artificial sweeteners, or sugar, or any other thing that seems to be in most other beverages. It's actually not painful for me anymore. I love my water now, it just took some time. Now that water is my primary beverage, my skin looks healthier, my stomach hurts less and I generally feel better.
    For you, that's great.
    But the OP has stated she doesn't like it.
    By the way, things like soup have things in them that have nutrients. Coffee has antioxidants and has been shown to prevent Type II diabetes so as well as the hydration factor it has benefits that plain water doesn't have.

She has stated that she doesn't like it, but she is also asking how she can get her 8 cups a day in. Clearly she wants to drink more water, just wants suggestions for how she can get herself to do it. From what I've seen, nobody here is arguing that things like coffee don't have benefits. But she isn't asking about coffee, she's asking about water.