I hate water. How do I increase my water intake?

Options

Replies

• raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too. I don't dislike water, just sometimes struggle to drink like I should :/

I've started using the Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar so adding a couple tbs of that in makes for an interesting change up ;)
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I hate water. Always have. I have tried sweetening it with lemon but I don't think that is good to have every day because of the acid. What else can I do to get myself to drink my 8 cups a day?

The acid is also called Citric Acid, or Vitamin C. As long as you're just using a little bit of lemon juice, it's not going to overdose you on Vitamin C, and it's a beneficial vitamin.

If a splash of fresh lemon juice is what it takes for you to drink water, DRINK UP!
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    sweetening it with lemon? :huh:
  • ShawnaRaeDunn
    ShawnaRaeDunn Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I carry around one of those tumbler cups you can get from walmart. it has an outter shell to keep the water and ice cold, comes with a lid and straw. I love it! It holds just under 2.5 cups of water at a time and I add MiO to my water. Even my kids love it. They have the same cups, thats how I get them to drink more water too.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand the "I hate water" argument. Water doesn't even taste of anything so how can you hate it?

Never had much tap water, did you? Either that or you're one of the lucky few that has tap water that tastes decent. The tap water where I live tastes a lot like chlorine so I have to rely on bottled water and a filter on my kitchen sink's faucet. I couldn't even make tea with the tap water because even though I'd boil it, it made the tea taste metallic no matter which kind I used. I stayed somewhere in Mississippi once when I was younger and their tap water tasted like it had a car tire soaking in it, I'm not joking. So really it's easy to hate the stuff when what's coming out your faucet, water fountains, and being served to you in a restaurant has a funk to it. It's why I never drank water in its pure form until I began my weight loss journey.

I must just be lucky, the water I drink is tap water :smile:
  • slim104
    slim104 Posts: 160
    Options
    Have you tried sparkling water? My boyfriend hates plain water but likes sparkling waters and seltzers like pellegrino. There are also some naturally flavored fruit seltzer waters that are calorie free.
    I hate drinking still or tap water too. But sparkling water mmmm. I drink about 2 or 3 litres a day. Its cheap enough at the supermarket.
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I tend to drink more if I have it through a straw. I can guzzle more if its room temp too. I do like to put ice in my cup with a straw, but i don't drink as much. If you set yourself a water goal and try to meet it, it is much easier than just wanting to drink more. I also limit my other drinks- pop, coffee, tea to ensure I get my H2O in! :)
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    sweetening it with lemon? :huh:

Good point. I took it more as a "flavor" thing rather than "sweeten".

On the other hand, I've lived in cities where the tap water was so bad pure lemon juice concentrate would almost seem "sweet" by comparison. Ah, Brita, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways. 8 per day.
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand the "I hate water" argument. Water doesn't even taste of anything so how can you hate it?

Never had much tap water, did you? Either that or you're one of the lucky few that has tap water that tastes decent. The tap water where I live tastes a lot like chlorine so I have to rely on bottled water and a filter on my kitchen sink's faucet. I couldn't even make tea with the tap water because even though I'd boil it, it made the tea taste metallic no matter which kind I used. I stayed somewhere in Mississippi once when I was younger and their tap water tasted like it had a car tire soaking in it, I'm not joking. So really it's easy to hate the stuff when what's coming out your faucet, water fountains, and being served to you in a restaurant has a funk to it. It's why I never drank water in its pure form until I began my weight loss journey.

I must just be lucky, the water I drink is tap water :smile:

My well water is normal and tasty. The well water at my cousins house always made me sick when I was little (he only lives about 1/2 mile away). Found out when we got older that they had some bacteria in their well water, but their bodies were used to it, so that's why I got sick and they were fine. I guess some of us are just fortunate enough to live in an area with decent water. But if the water in the area isn't clean and normal tasting, there's always bottled water. When you first said "I don't understand that I hate water argument" I agreed with you. And then the other girl made some good points and made me remember that not everybody has access to the same water I am drinking. If I had grown up on town water, with the chlorinated taste to it (no fluoride in my area in the water), I too would probably say I hated water. My dad being a truck driver, he has seen his fair share of dirty disgusting water coming out of faucets. In my sheltered life, I haven't personally seen or had to deal with the rust colored water coming out of the faucet, but it really does exist. I know I wouldn't drink that water. I wouldn't even want to wash my hands in it.
  • jazzie2421
    jazzie2421 Posts: 45
    Options
    I love water, but I can't drink it room temperature or hot, it has to be ICE cold. I will drink it tepid if I HAVE to, but I don't care for it. I also don't like ice water in styrofoam cups. Bleh.

Get a pretty cup, fill it with ice, and enjoy a nice glass of ice water on a hot day. A shot of lemon, or some frozen berries isn't going to hurt you, in fact it adds just enough flavor to make it interesting. Ice tea is good - UNsweetened, but the caffeine is not, so still drink water. I have some crystal tea glasses that make me feel special drinking out of them, sometimes that helps.

Someone said that the need for water is perpetuated by the bottled water company and that is not truthful. Bottled water is no better for you than tap water, its just more convenient. Get a refillable water bottle (stainless steel is the "cleanest" for taste) and don't buy bottled water. No big. We have large refillable water bottles and a cold water dispenser and it works great for us because we don't care for our tap water and it costs way less than buying bottled waters (we do buy a lot of bottled water for family gatherings as it is easy to transport in large quantities).

No matter how much water I drink, I battle dehyrdation daily. I have to go to the ER to replenish fluids at least once a summer, sometimes more. If you don't drink water it wreaks havoc on your body. Caffeine is a DEhydrater, so please watch your caffeine intake. Basically, if it has caffeine in it is really not rehydrating you. Watermelon and pineapple are my two go to sources (besides water) to rehydrate quickly. Dehydration is a miserable experience, and when you get to the point of needing fluids it is really horrid. I get tremendous headaches, very weak, and highly confused. Typically this happens when I'm sick, or when I get too hot and can't drink enough water.

Someone else said that pale yellow urine is your indicator of hydration. This is very true. The goal is almost clear. The lighter the urine the more hydrated you are.

Someone else said that water is not a "magic elixer", I have to beg to differ. Water is the lifeblood of our bodies. We are made up of mostly water. Water lubricates our joints, keeps our organs working properly - including the brain, flushes toxins, and can even make you feel fuller faster by filling up your stomach. Water can even keep you from having a hangover while drinking alcohol (hangover is dehydration as alcohol is a DEhydrator). And best of all... you already pay for it, it comes straight out of the tap. When you pay your water bill so you can bathe, wash dishes, or water your garden... you can water your body as well. Nothing extra needed.
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I love water, but I can't drink it room temperature or hot, it has to be ICE cold. I will drink it tepid if I HAVE to, but I don't care for it. I also don't like ice water in styrofoam cups. Bleh.

Get a pretty cup, fill it with ice, and enjoy a nice glass of ice water on a hot day. A shot of lemon, or some frozen berries isn't going to hurt you, in fact it adds just enough flavor to make it interesting. Ice tea is good - UNsweetened, but the caffeine is not, so still drink water. I have some crystal tea glasses that make me feel special drinking out of them, sometimes that helps.

Someone said that the need for water is perpetuated by the bottled water company and that is not truthful. Bottled water is no better for you than tap water, its just more convenient. Get a refillable water bottle (stainless steel is the "cleanest" for taste) and don't buy bottled water. No big. We have large refillable water bottles and a cold water dispenser and it works great for us because we don't care for our tap water and it costs way less than buying bottled waters (we do buy a lot of bottled water for family gatherings as it is easy to transport in large quantities).

No matter how much water I drink, I battle dehyrdation daily. I have to go to the ER to replenish fluids at least once a summer, sometimes more. If you don't drink water it wreaks havoc on your body. Caffeine is a DEhydrater, so please watch your caffeine intake. Basically, if it has caffeine in it is really not rehydrating you. Watermelon and pineapple are my two go to sources (besides water) to rehydrate quickly. Dehydration is a miserable experience, and when you get to the point of needing fluids it is really horrid. I get tremendous headaches, very weak, and highly confused. Typically this happens when I'm sick, or when I get too hot and can't drink enough water.

Someone else said that pale yellow urine is your indicator of hydration. This is very true. The goal is almost clear. The lighter the urine the more hydrated you are.

Someone else said that water is not a "magic elixer", I have to beg to differ. Water is the lifeblood of our bodies. We are made up of mostly water. Water lubricates our joints, keeps our organs working properly - including the brain, flushes toxins, and can even make you feel fuller faster by filling up your stomach. Water can even keep you from having a hangover while drinking alcohol (hangover is dehydration as alcohol is a DEhydrator). And best of all... you already pay for it, it comes straight out of the tap. When you pay your water bill so you can bathe, wash dishes, or water your garden... you can water your body as well. Nothing extra needed.

You are a wise woman, and I whole heartedly agree with you. There really is no comparison to water, no matter what other people say. Last week I really didn't drink any plain water, it was all soda and coffee (including caffeine free) and I felt very off this past weekend. My muscles were sore, I got headaches, I just wasn't myself. I always can tell when I am in need of plain water because I chug it like I won't be able to have any for a while. I too have to have my water very cold. I find that I want it more during the summer, whether working out or just sitting around there is nothing better to quench my thirst.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Water is not a magic elixir. Any fluid you drink, and all food you eat contains water, that your body is more than capable of extracting for hydration purposes.

As for caffeine, you need extremely high doses in order for caffeine to dehydrate. To put it terms of soda (just for an easy visual) you would need to consume an entire 12 pack of soda at once in order to consume enough caffeine to actually have any kind of dehydrating effect. Of course, consuming an entire 12 pack of soda would also mean you've consumed over a gallon of water (12 oz * 12 cans = 144 oz, 1 gallon = 128 oz,) which more than makes up for any potential dehydrating effect. Couple that with the fact that regular caffeine consumption make a person immune to the diuretic effect of caffeine, and that blows the "caffeine dehydrates" myth out of the water. That's probably why controlled studies have all shown that caffeinated beverages hydrate just as well as water.
  • saugonda1
    saugonda1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    crystal light makes it so much easier
  • MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    lemons aren't bad for your teeth. whitening toothpaste is.

lemons are actually really good for weight loss. according to my nutrition guy and personal trainer. something about the lack of sugar and ph balance and something or another.

crystal light is a tasty, 5 cal way to make water interesting. there are so many flavours to!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    You don't *need* do drink 8 cups a day. Not everyone really needs to. What you do need to do is keep yourself hydrated. Water is the most essential thing you can put in your body, and just because it doesn't taste good to you doesn't change that fact.

I'm sorry you hate water. Get over it.
  • calalily77
    calalily77 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    MIO water enhancer is great! I also don't like water at all. My favorite flavors are the berry pomegranate and the mango! So yummy and calorie free!
  • lodicox7
    lodicox7 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I've found that keeping a cup in front of me that has a straw almost doubled my water intake. I know that might sound silly, but I went and bought a couple of those plastic tumblers from Walmart for $4 that come with screw-on lids and straws, and just having that glass with the straw there literally doubled how much water I was drinking. Before, when I had to unscrew the top of my water containers or mess with the pop up lids or whatever, I just didn't drink enough. Now I just pick up the glass subconsciously and drink all day while I'm working.

It probably sounds really stupid but I swear it works. You drink and you just don't think about it. It's worth a try!
  • striveforhealthy
    striveforhealthy Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    MIO water enhancer is great! I also don't like water at all. My favorite flavors are the berry pomegranate and the mango! So yummy and calorie free!

Completely agree! I am not a fan of plain water but have about 5-6 different types of Mio in the house at all times.
  • hiswifetheirmommy
    hiswifetheirmommy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Try drinking it through a bottle that has a straw. I find I drink way more water when I drink it through a straw rather than just sipping it from a glass. I'm also a sucker for flavored waters...especially Vitamin Water Zero. Yum!! And you can always add some Crystal Light to it, but remember that has calories in it.
  • naddel02
    naddel02 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    THE BEST WAY TO INCREASE YOUR WATER INTAKE IS TO DON'T DRINK NO JUICE, SODA OR ANY SWEET DRINK JUST DRINK WATER WHEN YOUR THIRSTY AND AFTER EACH MEAL.