Ask me anything about fat/weight loss....

Options

Replies

• myohana4
    myohana4 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    BUMP

(Thanks for answering questions! Very helpful!)
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    I am in the same boat. Due to Marry beginning of September. Worried I am not being realistic enough in terms of timing to lose the weight. :(

1-2 pounds a week is reasonable. Even a half a pound a week is better than nothing. If you're losing then you're doing great. Enjoy the ride, it will make for a way better biography. Weightloss will slow lots of times, this is when the consistency matters most. Whenever I cut, there are always times where I look the same for a WHILE, and then boom!.....Wakeup and for no apparent reason I just look better. Lol, then I plateau again and have to reevaluate. How spot on was I with my calories this past week, my exercise, my recovery?.....am I retaining water? Do I need to reduce the calories a little more still or maybe crank the cardio up a bit? Do I need a refeed because I'm completely smashed tired from exercise and diet?.....Things to always keep in mind.
  • methridge03
    methridge03 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Agirard25
    Agirard25 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    thanks, SUPER helpfu;!!!
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    bump to read later. Thank you!
  • NKelly234
    NKelly234 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have no question. Just wanted to say that GOOD GOD YOU ARE INCREDIBLE TO LOOK AT. :)
  • chergarr73
    chergarr73 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I generally work out 40-50 minutes per day, 5 to 6 days a week. Until now, I have done it all at once in the mornings (sometimes all cardio, Tuesday and Thursday cardio and lifting) but have recently wondered if my metabolism would be better served doing 2 25 minute sessions, one in the AM, another in the PM...to boost my metabolism twice. Does it matter?
  • Syderelli
    Syderelli Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    BUMP :)
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Thank you for doing this - I had a post yesterday about protein and no one is helping me. Please read my copy and paste from my post:

I need some help here... While monitoring my calorie intake I've been getting confused as to how many carbs, fat & protein I need. I'm trying to keep my calorie intake around 1,200 to 1,500 - depending on my activity level that day. On MFP when I set my goals, it automatically set my carbs to be 165 (which I think is high), fat at 40 and protein at 45 (which I think is low). During the week, I drink a protein shake for breakfast and when I do, my protein is always way high.

I know I can manually set my goals on here - but I don't know what a good goal is. Also, another question, what else should I be monitoring and how should it be set?

Good questions! What else should you monitor?.....Monitor it all! Fortune favors the bold. Weight, hips, waist, and arms at the least I'd say. As for protein, yes MFP does give a pretty low reco in my opinion....especially if you're more athletic. My diet's ratio is more of a 40/30/30 proteins to carbs to fats. Let your recovery and energy levels be the dictator though. Muscles always feeling trashed, then more protein. Always lethargic?...then more carbs. This is the secret: The body is like an infant. It can't tell you what it needs. You have to learn IT'S language. Some days I need more protein, and others I need more carbs.
    Thanks again!
  • mariacolumbus
    mariacolumbus Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I agree with SheehyCFC....any thoughts on what they say? If the deficit is built in,then you would need to eat back your exercise cals to keep your body functioning - correct? we may be saying the same thing, just in different ways?????
    A deficit is a deficit. Don't eat back your calories. Example: I know on average if I don't do anything throughout the day, I'll burn around 2,500 calories give or take. Say I want to be in a 500 calorie deficit every day and that I am burning 600 calories a day via added activity. Add that 600 to my 2,500 and I have 3,100 calories I've burned for the day. My goal now would be to intake around 2,600 calories for that day to make a 500 calorie deficit. Understand?....If I were to eat back my 600 calories burned from added activity, then I would be just back up to maintenance not losing or gaining.
    I agree with most of what you are saying (and thanks for the thread) - but doesn't this assume the person is on maintenance calories? Some people (and this is the way MFP is set up if you have it set to any "weight loss" goal) have a deficit built into their daily recommended intake...
  • scubagirl319
    scubagirl319 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My question is about leg/hip/butt exercises. I have lost over 240 pounds in the last 20 months. I still have 47 pounds to go to hit a normal BMI. I am doing 5 days of weight training, 3 days lower body and 2 days upper body + cardio daily. I just started the weight training last week so I am not expecting miracles to happen overnight. My question is on my lower body days can I do my exercise video at lunch (Bottoms up Joyce Vedral) It is a 50 min video that incorporates dumb bells into lunges, squats etc. 3 sets, higher weight each set Then after work go to the fitness center and do leg presses and other leg exercises on the machines? I know you are supposed to wait 48 hours for muscles to recover but if you are doing it all on the same day is that ok? I also have an elliptical at home that I use and I climb the stairs outside my apt 15 flights, two times a day. My legs are very flabby looking from loose skin from the weight loss, but not anywhere near as bad as some others. For the amount of weight I have lost I have been very fortunate with the skin issues. Thanks for your input. I am really trying to make a difference by 4th of July week. I will be on the water and in a swimsuit all week. Thanks!
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    I have a very weak core - I had 2 c-sections and an unrelated abdominal surgery. I am unable to do a sit up because I can't feel the muscles that I need to complete it. I know sit ups aren't a good workout for abs, I just wanted to illustrate the weekness in my core. I have been doing crunches and leg lifts and just started doing planks- normal and side. What should my goal of time holding the plank and number of planks at a time. I don't know what I should be reaching for. I can hold now for about 15 seconds and do about 15 at a time.

Me personally, I think planks are garbage. I don't really believe in direct core work for fitness purposes....MAYBE for aesthetic purposes, but that's a big maybe. Try this: Sit on the floor on yer bum with your knees bent, and feet on the floor. Put your hands behind your thighs and slowly lean back to you are balancing only on your tush. Now slowly release your hand from your thighs to you are balancing everything on your bum. Hold this position. Congratulations...Your abs are now fully engaged. Make sure not to let the back round....have a long tall posture. If you cannot do this yeh, simply keep the legs up, but place the hands on the floor along your sides kinda like training wheels. Simple way to build core strength.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I gave myself a pretty killer challenge (nerdfitness.com) and have about 5 weeks to meet my goals. I have been doing StrongLifts 5x5 but for this particular span I'm thinking about switching to a more custom routine.

What I want to do is:
    Lift heavy on M: Squats, Deadlift, and Bench (90% max, pyramid sets)
    Lift extremely light and for endurance on T and Th: Squats, Deadlift, and Bench (approx 25-30% max)
    Lift light and for endurance on W: Squats, Deadlift, and Bench (approx 50% max)
    Lift heavy on F: Squats, Deadlift, and Bench (90% max, pyramid sets)
    Rest/Cardio on Sa, Su

When I used to powerlift in the past, my coach would have us do light days immediately following heavy days to help with muscle soreness. I'm worried it's a bit aggressive of a schedule but think I can handle it for 5 weeks and welcome thoughts on it. I'll transition back to 5x5 afterwards.

My lifting goals are:
    1) Increase working weight (5RM) for Squat, Deadlift, Bench from 275, 315, and 200 to 315, 365, and 225 (all in lbs)
    2) Squat 225lbs for 25 reps, Deadlift 275lbs for 20 reps, Bench 185 for 15 reps (not necessarily back to back)
  • NancyNiles
    NancyNiles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I agree with SheehyCFC....any thoughts on what they say? If the deficit is built in,then you would need to eat back your exercise cals to keep your body functioning - correct? we may be saying the same thing, just in different ways?????
    A deficit is a deficit. Don't eat back your calories. Example: I know on average if I don't do anything throughout the day, I'll burn around 2,500 calories give or take. Say I want to be in a 500 calorie deficit every day and that I am burning 600 calories a day via added activity. Add that 600 to my 2,500 and I have 3,100 calories I've burned for the day. My goal now would be to intake around 2,600 calories for that day to make a 500 calorie deficit. Understand?....If I were to eat back my 600 calories burned from added activity, then I would be just back up to maintenance not losing or gaining.
    I agree with most of what you are saying (and thanks for the thread) - but doesn't this assume the person is on maintenance calories? Some people (and this is the way MFP is set up if you have it set to any "weight loss" goal) have a deficit built into their daily recommended intake...

I think what he's saying is to figure out your TDEE accurately, then don't eat back exercise VS marking as sedentary in MFP and then eating back the calories in the database, which are oftentimes way off. My issue is with how you figure out your TDEE correctly. This one seemed the most fine-tuned, but it also seems kind of on the high side.

http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I have a very weak core - I had 2 c-sections and an unrelated abdominal surgery. I am unable to do a sit up because I can't feel the muscles that I need to complete it. I know sit ups aren't a good workout for abs, I just wanted to illustrate the weekness in my core. I have been doing crunches and leg lifts and just started doing planks- normal and side. What should my goal of time holding the plank and number of planks at a time. I don't know what I should be reaching for. I can hold now for about 15 seconds and do about 15 at a time.

Me personally, I think planks are garbage. I don't really believe in direct core work for fitness purposes....MAYBE for aesthetic purposes, but that's a big maybe. Try this: Sit on the floor on yer bum with your knees bent, and feet on the floor. Put your hands behind your thighs and slowly lean back to you are balancing only on your tush. Now slowly release your hand from your thighs to you are balancing everything on your bum. Hold this position. Congratulations...Your abs are now fully engaged. Make sure not to let the back round....have a long tall posture. If you cannot do this yeh, simply keep the legs up, but place the hands on the floor along your sides kinda like training wheels. Simple way to build core strength.

Thanks - I'll give this a try.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    What about the lean trying to get leaner?
    I'm 22% bodyfat which is below average for a woman but want to get down to 18% or so to look ripped.
    A few questions I have (as there is so many diff info around, hard to know whats true)
    1. Do you have to go low carb to achieve this? (some have advised restricting fruit, oats etc)
    2. Is it possible to lean out within 6 weeks?(when your already in ok shape)
    3. By eating under the even the 500cal defiet, will this matter much if its is short term? (say 2-3 weeks or so)
    Thanks

1. You do NOT have to go low carb.
    2. Yes, depending on your starting point and where you want to end. Twenty pounds for instance, in six weeks would not be realistic or healthy. 6-12 would be.
    3. That is dependent on the person's genetics. Me for instance, I start losing muscle pretty fast if I go over a 600 calorie deficit daily. I have other friends who they hold muscle mass like the norse god of thunder!! Lol. Track your measurements on the regular to make sure you're not losing too fast. Pictures are the better than anything though because they don't lie.
  • just4me46
    just4me46 Posts: 58
    Options
    I currently weigh 178 lbs, I'm 5'6 and I would like to be at 155 lbs. On MFP, I'm set at 1200 a day with a 640 daily calorie deficit.

This morning I burned 546 calories doing 30 minutes of Chalene Extreme strength training and 30 minutes of TurBo Fire. This is my daily routine (mixing it up a bit), but ST and cardio every day.

I'm really confused on the "daily calorie deficit" and eating back calories.

I hope you can help me with this. I want to make sure I'm not overeating and defeating my goals.

Does this mean I should be eating 1840 net calories a day of should I stick to 1200 calories a day?

Thanks a bunch for all your help on this thread. I have read all the posts and it seems like you are here to help us.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later. Good info so far :)
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Is it better to do shorter/less intense workouts more often, or to do longer/more intense workouts less often? For example, I do martial arts twice a week and estimate that I burn 900 calories each session. However, I'm considering adding a 15-minute morning workout.

As a follow-up, if I stay with the intense exercise 2-3 times a week, should I be eating the earned calories on those days or should I distribute them through the week? If during the day, should I eat them the day before the workout or the day after (my martial arts class is at night)?

Really depends on what the goal is. Fitness and athletics wise, yes shorter more intense workouts definitely unless you're an endurance athlete of course. You can lose fat on either though. If I'm cutting, there are days where the idea of training intensely...its just not happening. On those days I take the slow and steady route. Other days I am wired and want to push my limits. Once again, don't forget the big picture: Are you losing body fat and are you getting in better shape? That's what matters.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    What's the best activity for a pear shaped female to do to balance out and be less of a pear? And best activity to boost the girls, when there is a rotator cuff injury?

Thanks!

First address the injury fully. You don't want to do like I use to do and come back halfway healed just to reinjure it and be on the sidelines even longer.

Secondly, if completely healed and the doc gives the go-ahead. Offsetting the pear shape is just a matter of increase the upper sides of the body. E.g. putting more work into the the medial and rear deltoid, and the latissimus dorsi. Side and reverse lateral raises, upright rows, wide-grip lat pulldowns, and pullups are wonderful for this.