Ask me anything about fat/weight loss....

Options
I'm gonna be on and off here most of the day, so I thought I'd try to be of help to anybody with questions out there. Train hard, and live shredded.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    is it a good idea to eat before going to the gym in the morning, or should I wait till after ?
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    That is completely up to you. Me personally, I like to workout on a pretty empty stomach, but I do encourage my clients to put something solid in them about two hours before they come. Not too much though, or you might throw it up of course. Nothing wrong either way. There is a lot going on in the supplement industry about pre-workout this and post-workout that....that's only like 5% of the bigger picture which is ARE YOU GETTING YOUR NUTRITION?! Keep it simple, if you want a little something before the workout, that's fine. Vice versa is fine too. The big picture is a consistent daily caloric deficit, increasingly intense workouts, meeting your macros met, and proper recovery. Hope this helps yeh. Hit me back if ya have more. Cheers
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    What's the best way for women to lose body fat? I've been doing a lot of strength training and even though I'm getting stronger I don't seem to be losing any inches or weight. Thoughts on this?
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Hey :) Thanks for doing this!

I've got a running question - I'm trying to increase my running distance from 5k onward, but I seem to be capping out (lungs are okay, it's my legs!) just past the 5k mark...Is this a question of not enough protien, or just a matter of giving myself more time for my legs to catch up to my lungs?

Thanks!
  • txbutterfly69
    txbutterfly69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    What can I do to loose when I've hit a plateau? Was loosing and now it went in reverse?? Still exercising, changing as to not do the same everyday. Eating the same as well.
  • cmurray234
    cmurray234 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I've read that if you lift weights, that your metabolism stays elevated for some period of time after you work out. I often save my "treat" eating for after I've lifted.

I also read that cardio doesn't boost metabolism as well. True or false?
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    To look like you do how much do you workout?
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Hey, thanks for offering your help!!

What's the deal with overtraining? I've been told it impedes weight loss, but is there any way to work out hard and not have it affect the loss?

And if I have my calorie total set to my TDEE do I eat back my exercise calories? I've recently realised that I've been netting below my BMR (on average) over a period of a week, I assume you eat till you hit BMR or above? And could this be related to my recent gain in weight (which I've assumed is water)?

So many questions xD lol
  • Shfiftyfive
    Shfiftyfive Posts: 261
    Options
    Why are we asking you questions?
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Same way for women as men: A consistent caloric deficit. Take the stress out and make it black and white. COUNT EVERYTHING. Whenever I go on a cut, I just slowly start reducing my calories on a weekly basis until I hit my desired rate of fatloss. You WILL eventually plateau, but this is when you simply increase the cardio a bit and or reduce the calories a little bit more. Throwing in a refeed once a week is good too. If you're in a 500 calorie deficit for six days out of the week and day seven you go 500 over maintenance as a refeed day, you're still in a huge net deficit for the week. You don't necessarily have to weight train or do cardio to lose weight, but I definitely would say it helps tremendously. More muscle means higher resting metabolic rate. And who is going to burn more calories doing 20 minutes on the treadmill, somebody in poor cardiovascular shape, or somebody in great cardiovascular shape?....Exactly.

Lastly I would say make sure you're hitting your protein needs daily to give you the best chance at sparing the most amount of muscle while in your deficit. Also keep track of your water and salt intake. Lots of people freak and think that they're not losing when in fact, they are, but they're just retaining water from a salty meal. Easier to grasp is this: Weight yourself, and then go drink a quart of water and weigh yourself again. Did the scale go up?....Of course. But is this real weight gain?....Of course not!
  • Countrybride2b
    Countrybride2b Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Maybe you could help me?? I started a thread this morning after waking up and getting some bad news on the scale :( I've copy and pasted my post below.. I'd really appreciate some insight. Thanks so much!!! :)

Today I had to weigh in for the lose 5 lbs in May Challenge. I was soooo good this week! In addition to my regular workouts at the gym, I've also started doing 2 Jillian DVDs as well... So that's 2 workouts a day. I'm always under my calories for the day, and I eat well! Today I stepped on the scale and saw I went up 2 pounds!!! I seriously wanted to cry... Ok, maybe I did actually cry a little... Lol. I'm getting married in August and I'm really wanting to look my best. I feel like these last 10 pounds are never going to come off. I feel like I'm running out of time :( I know there's theories about having to eat more to lose weight, but I feel I don't have enough time to experiment with this- incase I just keep gaining!! My daily cals are 1480... When I workout a lot, I usually will eat closer to 1600 calories, while still having a large deficit. ANY advice I could get from MFP peeps would be much appreciated!!!!
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    Bump
  • prov31jd
    prov31jd Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    What's the best way for women to lose body fat? I've been doing a lot of strength training and even though I'm getting stronger I don't seem to be losing any inches or weight. Thoughts on this?

^^^THIS. Same question here. Stubborn fat around thighs and belly. Ugh.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Not exactly a fatloss question but here you go: Running just like any other sport, the better you get, the harder it is to get to the next level. Make sure your nutrition is good, make sure you're progressively overloading your body with harder run workouts, be consistent, and you'll eventually get there.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    You may have gone too low for too long. The body is HIGHLY adaptive. When this happens you basically have one or two options to start losing again: 1) Give yourself a day or two break, and bring your calories up to maintenance(a refeed basically). Or 2) Cut the calories again and or decrease the calories again slightly. You'll always be hitting plateaus, and they are usually just the body's way of saying 'Gimme a little break.' Also pay attention to WHAT you're eating as for instance hidden calories that are not being accounted for, and salts which make you retain water weight. Hope this helps yeh.
  • FabulousKP
    FabulousKP Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Why is it recommended to drink a protein shake after a workout?
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Am I eating enough?
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Cardio boosts metabolism, but this boost ends light years before the boost of a good weight training session would end. For the best results you really need to be doing both. You don't have to do necessarily either to lose fat, but they do make it a lot easier for most. What's most important is the consistent caloric deficit. The weight training will also determine how you're going to look after the body fat has come off.
  • Tojsmom
    Tojsmom Posts: 51
    Options
    My question is this: I can't afford a gym membership so I have to do everything at home, without it costing me alot of money what do you recommend I start with to have in my home to help me try to loose some weight as far as exercise. I have a problem with one of my legs where right now all I can do is walk.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, my goal is to eventually build myself up to where I can run so that I can do some type of race with my sisters.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Cardio boosts metabolism, but this boost ends light years before the boost of a good weight training session would end. For the best results you really need to be doing both. You don't have to do necessarily either to lose fat, but they do make it a lot easier for most. What's most important is the consistent caloric deficit. The weight training will also determine how you're going to look after the body fat has come off.

That was for me right?

Thank you Sir