Cottage Cheese.... This may seem silly....

Options
rchupka87
rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
I am a new kid to cottage cheese. I have literally never taken a bite of it before in my life. To be honest, I am kind of scared of it, as i don't do really well with textures... LOL

However, I bought some at the grocery this weekend. Any suggestions on how to eat it?

Replies

• greedymoo2
    greedymoo2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i love cottage cheese on ryvitas or inside a jacket potatoe
  • jcohio85
    jcohio85 Posts: 43
    Options
    I eat mine with pepper on it. I have heard others eat it with sugar or fruit. I am weird and cant mix food, so pepper is the only way I can and ever will eat it.
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    What is a jacket potato? And for that matter, what is a ryvita? LOL
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Eat it plain. I love it plain but also love it with peaches on top. Yum!

But yes, it is an acquired taste and texture. Some just don't like it. That's ok!
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    any lentil, split pea or bean soup is awesome with the addition of cottage cheese.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    With fresh pineapple (not the kind in the can)
  • ahubacek
    ahubacek Posts: 135
    Options
    I know it's a weird texture for a lot of people, but I eat it just like it is. Sometimes straight out of the container.

Keep in mind that, IMO, flavor can vary a whole lot between brands with some being much better than others.
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Not silly at all; I am weird about cottage cheese, and about textures, and my husband makes fun of me all the time because I classify certain foods as 'funny'...you know, 'funny meat' (anything not chicken, essentially), 'funny cheese' (any cheese that is stinky or has the color blue or green in it), etc.

Cottage cheese is tough for me. A lot of people really enjoy it with fruit. I am not one of those people. Fruit and cheese don't mix super well, in my opinion. Unless you're talking certain types of cheese with certain types of apple. I DO, however, really enjoy cottage cheese with black pepper...on saltines. Very tasty.

Good luck with your new food adventure!!
  • clareeast
    clareeast Posts: 64
    Options
    I like it on crackers, in sandwiches, in salads - all sorts of ways really. If you've got plain, it sometimes needs a bit of something to liven it up - herbs, spices, or sauce - any sort will do, but I like sweet chilli best. It's nice with fruit, too.

I'm not a big fan of cooking with it, but some people like it that way - my brother uses it with spinach to make lasagne or canelloni.

If the texture is a problem, you can mash it with a fork, or put it in a blender. It's a good low-fat source of protein and calcium - enjoy!!
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    What is a jacket potato? And for that matter, what is a ryvita? LOL

baked potato and rykrisp cracker, I believe
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    My very favorite way to eat cottage cheese is with fresh diced pineapple on top.

A "jacket potato" is known in the US as a "baked potato". It's still got the skin on, like a jacket, I suppose?
  • greedymoo2
    greedymoo2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    ahhh yes, jacket potatoe is the same as baked potatoe lol:)) ryvita is a cracker:)
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    A little black pepper at least... But I also add tomato to mine!

Just beware, it can be VERY high in sodium.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I like it with loads of pepper. I'll also often put 1/2 c. cottage cheese, 1/2 c. of frozen blueberries, and another scoop of cottage cheese in a little container for an at-work sweet snack (I add a packet of Truvia if the blueberries are really tart!). I love it, but I love almost all cheese.
  • JmeJinxx
    JmeJinxx Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I like it plain, but also dress it up with some apricot preserves or even apple butter sometimes. SO good.
  • Switty_Kitty
    Switty_Kitty Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I was the same way...I can't eat lumpy gross things (oatmeal and mashed potatoes are even out of the question), but decided to give cottage cheese a try. Best way I've found so far is with pineapple. Good luck!
  • jessicalewisperry
    Options
    I like to sprinkle pepper on mine. Another yummy idea is to add preserves to it. They actually have "cottage doubles" at walmart and meijers. only 100 calories and same concept.
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I like it with fruit, especially pineapple and peaches. I also love it as a dip for my sour cream and onion potato chips. I know, not very healthy but it is delicious!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese.

There are some foods that I would not want to try. so I just don't. Is this the only food you have a fear of? What is motivating you to want to eat it now?
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I eat it plain. I like it the way it is but I know a lot of people mix fruit in it.