Belly Button Rings--Trashy or Cute?

Options
Klamber26
Klamber26 Posts: 212
Beach trip coming up and I've been debating with myself on this one. What do you guys think? I've heard the salt water helps it heal faster, so if I'm going to do it I'll have to make a decision soon.

Post some pics if anyone can!

Replies

• EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I've got mine done. I think they're cute. And yes, the salt water definitely helps.
  • lookpretty
    lookpretty Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    eh I think theyre trashy to some extent,slutty more like, which Im totally cool with and have mine done
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I've had mine done and really liked it but I've since removed it since it's really no longer age-appropriate. LOL While salt water might help it heal, I don't know that the ocean is the best type of salt water. There's more in there than just salt and you might be risking an infection going in with an unhealed wound of any kind.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend waiting until you reach your goal weight, I had mine done at my heaviest and it looks a little weird now.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    they're cute!

but warning: they aren't the easiest piercing to care for :frown:
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I personally find them trashy
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    they're cute!

This is so true. I had a lot of problems with mine when I first got it. I cleaned it every day and still it was a major problem.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I got mine done on my 18th birthday, but took it out when I got pregnant. I think once I get to my goal weight/size, I might get it re-done. I'm just worried about it hurting like a *kitten* since I've got scar tissue there now, and I'm kinda worried about people thinking "ok girl, you've got stretch marks and a 5 year old, time to give up the dream" but whatever :) I think if you've got a cute tummy, why not put some jewelry on it!
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for years, and I think it’s cute. However, if you are going to get one before a vacation I suggest you NOT do that! I have about 5 piercings and this one took by far the longest to heal & it’s not a comfortable process. You will be more consumed with making sure your taking care of it/ it’s not hurting than enjoying your vacation.
  • Newhampshireboy
    Options
    there sexy
  • SnakeDarling
    SnakeDarling Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I think they're cute.
    It depends on how you work the rest of your body and the outfit you're wearing that makes them trashy :p

I don't have mine done, but saltwater really helped my ears heal up.
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I had mine done a while back but with working out and stuff it actually opened the hole more so pretty much my body rejected the piercing. I tried piercing it three times and each time it got worse. I loved having it but once I removed it for good I was left with a big ugly scar around my belly button. Just remember when you finally take it out you will be left with an ugly scar that won't go away.
  • pxpwop
    pxpwop Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I think they are very sexy! My girlfriend has one and wanted to take it out. I convinced her not to :)
  • JBott84
    JBott84 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I've had mine done and really liked it but I've since removed it since it's really no longer age-appropriate. LOL While salt water might help it heal, I don't know that the ocean is the best type of salt water. There's more in there than just salt and you might be risking an infection going in with an unhealed wound of any kind.

^Agreed, the ocean is not a clean place. I wouldn't risk getting an infection if it's not healed. Oh and I also agree with waiting until your goal weight....I got mine done when I was 120 or so...but a few years later when I hit 7 months prego, had to take it out. I have been heavy ever since. The scar is hellatious...I plan on getting it done again, just to help hide the scar - when I hit my goal of 130.
  • groovyfirechick
    Options
    while it's healing you are supposed to keep it clean and covered when exposed to clothing. You need to use bactine and cleanse with sterile salt water (not ocean water). I had mine done 15 years ago and have since taken it out. Am considering getting it re done. It will look really ugly for a few weeks while it is healing. Good luck in whatever you decide!
  • luhluhlaura
    luhluhlaura Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on the girl and how she portrays herself. :) it CAN be cute and sexy....if it's shown off in the right way/at the right times. That's my personal opinion.
    I REALLY want to get mine done, but I want to wait till my abs look the way I want them to! (having some actual definition, lol)
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    they're cute!

This is so true. I had a lot of problems with mine when I first got it. I cleaned it every day and still it was a major problem.
    [/quo

very true...ended up gettign rid of mine....doesnt work well in sports lol
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    they're cute!

VERY true. I definitely had to be super careful when I got mine. Got it done in the winter though, so it had plenty of healing time before I hit the pool/beach. And I could only wear surgical steel belly rings with no dangly decorations (the decorations are always made of a cheaper metal that irritated my skin). I don't know that I'd get it done right at the beginning of summer, I'd probably wait until you've got a few months for it to heal completely before it's time to be in the ocean/pool.
  • laurenk08
    laurenk08 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have mine done, I think they are cute and not trashy, there are so many belly button rings to choose from too! Mine healed pretty fast, just a little sore the first two days to move around, but my boyfriend likes it too. He thinks its cute, and also its a great incentive to work on those abs!
  • RDW917
    RDW917 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think they're trashy