Cupcakes Banned in MA Schools

Options
123457»

Replies

• mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    You wanna cure the obesity problem?

1. Plug the computer into a battery with an inverter...hooked up to a pedal bike with a generator.

2. Seal off all the regular wall outlets.

3. Sit back and watch what happens.

:wink:

AMEN! Definitely lack of exercise is a HUGE problem of the youth today.

So you'll agree to the tax increases required to improve school fitness programs, especially ones promoting life-long fitness for all students, not just sports teams?
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Yup I'd rather see an increase in fitness, we had fitness classes all through high school, why don't they still???
  • torisaurosrex
    Options
    I am pretty sure this law did not pass...
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    You wanna cure the obesity problem?

1. Plug the computer into a battery with an inverter...hooked up to a pedal bike with a generator.

2. Seal off all the regular wall outlets.

3. Sit back and watch what happens.

:wink:

AMEN! Definitely lack of exercise is a HUGE problem of the youth today.

So you'll agree to the tax increases required to improve school fitness programs, especially ones promoting life-long fitness for all students, not just sports teams?

I have no problem with increased taxers for better physical education, I also have no problem with increased taxes for a "socialized healthcare" system (NOT Obamacare, let's get that straight) because I find it disgusting commercial insurances cover less then MEDICAID does, which our taxes already fund. I also know from experience that when I couldn't get sweets easily I FOUND a way, so banning them will cause a surge of obesity initially because children will learn to binge when they can get them (experience here!)

I also think our teachers should be paid better and our student should have a slightly longer day to incorporate recess and PE into the schedule easier. An extra hour at school that is an hour of activity is totally worth it and would not overly increase the expenses of the school because most already have the equipment. It is also proven that active children learn better. We did not have nearly as high of a rate of ADHD until we cut recess. My son and nephew are so active and also ahead of their peers developmentally we are looking at placing them in Charter Schools because they value both activity and education.

I also have huge issues with "No Child Left Behind" I was IN school when that took effect and my classes went from interesting to DULL because we had to go at the slowest students pace thus not challenging the rest of us. Prior to that the slower students would get placed in a seperate class or receive extra tutoring. THAT is doing a service to children with learning problems, not slowing down the US education system. Take the money from THAT and put it in proper physical education.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I also know from experience that when I couldn't get sweets easily I FOUND a way, so banning them will cause a surge of obesity initially because children will learn to binge when they can get them (experience here!)

THIS^^^

My parents never had sweets in the house, no chips no ice cream. Occasionally they would have ice cream, birthdays we would have cake and then obviously the holidays. I knew from a young age they didn't keep it in the house because it wasn't good for you, so guess what, the moment I was old enough to walk to the store, or buy it on my own, I did and I hid it in my bedroom, it took until ADULTHOOD to finally break the habit of hiding food in my house.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I work for a company that caters meals to schools...just recently we got notified of a HUGE government regulation change to all meals. It should make things verrrrrry interesting....and kids are gonna HATE the new foods!

Then they can bring their own lunches to school. I am a teacher and I do believe it is my job to educate my students about proper nutrition, and our school lunches SHOULD be healthier. But, the choices must still be theirs. I also think parents need to lead by example, and start cooking more homemade meals instead of taking them to fast food restaurants as often as they are doing now.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I work for a company that caters meals to schools...just recently we got notified of a HUGE government regulation change to all meals. It should make things verrrrrry interesting....and kids are gonna HATE the new foods!

Then they can bring their own lunches to school. I am a teacher and I do believe it is my job to educate my students about proper nutrition, and our school lunches SHOULD be healthier. But, the choices must still be theirs. I also think parents need to lead by example, and start cooking more homemade meals instead of taking them to fast food restaurants as often as they are doing now.

But, parents fail.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options

But, parents fail.

I'm a bit judgmental about this issue, I admit it. If a child is obese, then the first place I look to are the parents, not the school lunches. I think parents should be more cognizant of what they are feeding their children, from the very beginning of that child's life. I have a hard time believing Johnny or Janie was "born" big boned (a euphemism for "fat"). They got that way because of their parents. Parents are the primary influences in their children's lives, and therefore need to be better educated about what it is they are feeding their children. I don't believe the government has the right to mandate what we eat, but I think the medical industry should put more focus on general overall health and nutrition. It is pointless for a pediatrician to tell a parent "Your child is obese" when that parent is morbidly obese as well. A) that parent will be offended and B) if the parent is reluctant to change his/her eating habits, then that child's health will not improve.

Portions have dramatically increased. We Americans WANT more for our money. It used to be that 8 oz was a "regular sized" drink, now 16 oz is a "small".

My mom used to harass me all the time about eating a lot of junk food when I was a child (I was never overweight growing up, my parents fed me properly). One day, as my mom was lecturing me about going to Burger King, I took one look at her, with her cigarette dangling out of her mouth at the time, and said "I'll stop eating fast food when you stop smoking."
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options
    I'm Irish and a teacher. We don't have school lunches, so that's not an issue, but sweets/junk food etc are banned in most schools.

A child eating a lunch of junk food doesn't learn as well and is more likely to be disruptive. It's our job to teach all the kids as best as possible, this policy aids that. If the parents aren't happy with that, well there's private schools they can consider.

That said, banning bake sales is just ridiculous. Teach kids about nutrition and teach them about moderation.