I remember when MFP was for....................

Options

Replies

• themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    Seems like you only get praise if you have dropped the equivalent of a baby elephant off you, and even then people will have a go at you for being to skinny, or not toned enough.

OK I have lost the equivelent of a baby elephant and I am waiting my praise....LOL. I agree but there is also alot of encouragement, motivation and good info you just have to ignore all the negative posts
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    lol am i the only one really really amused by the forums? i think its hilarious, especially when people start whipping out these false "scientific" claims they can't back up!! you just gotta take them with a grain of salt i guess :)

although i agree that the forums saying its fine to eat under 1200 cals and all that piss me off.
    I personally agree. Lol. I've been here a while and I think it's always been this way, there are just a ton more people on the boards now.

Personally, I research the heck out of things myself, do what works for my body, giggle a little at the forums in general, and stick to the chit-chat section . Keeps me sane.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    People forget that there is no right answer and we are all just trying to get healthier doing what is right based on our experiences.
    Often, though, there is a right answer. This is why it's important to learn how to do your homework and find reputable sources of information.

that is true, but where I grew up you can respectfully disagree and someones opinion does not always equal who they are as a person.
  • TrishJimenez
    Options
    Seems like you only get praise if you have dropped the equivalent of a baby elephant off you, and even then people will have a go at you for being to skinny, or not toned enough.

OK I have lost the equivelent of a baby elephant and I am waiting my praise....LOL. I agree but there is also alot of encouragement, motivation and good info you just have to ignore all the negative posts

yes, I should just ignore them. No one has ever attacked me but I do tend to keep my head low and if I start to reply with something that I think is going to end up being inflammatory then I just hit the back button and move on to something else. Maybe I am just tired today and having to much conflict with my 17 year old daughter and her 12 year old sister sharing a room and fighting ;-) I had to tell them tonight that if they could not get along I was going to tie their right hand to the others left hand for the next 48 hours (except for school of course) until they could learn to cooperate (fitting punishment as one is left handed and the other right handed, they would totally have to rely on each other to do anything) Just tired of it I guess
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I can't get past the dozen threads everyday complaining about one thing or another. It's hard to be supportive and positive with so much complaining going on. :ohwell:
  • lizzynewm
    lizzynewm Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    it sucks! people get so excited to be offended if you slip up and don't proofread your post 10 times through, and some people can be such wangs and try to make others feel like idiots for asking innocent questions.

but despite the sea of bull****, i can honestly say there are a ton of genuinely nice people here too. i remember i once got torn apart for wording a question wrong, and several super kind people messaged me apologizing for other peoples' mean behavior! you just have to weed through the *kitten*, unfortunately.

This is why one should use the forums to find like-minded folks, build a good friends list, and rely on them for support.

The forums can be helpful for information gathering, if you can sort through the myths and find info from reputable sources.

The forums are also good for laughs and trolling.

haha, this is all so true!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Support and encouragement and information. Now I am loosing more and more motivation to log in and read the community boards since I have to wade thru thread after thread of people arguing, putting other people down for asking a question, venting about complete strangers that are not even on mfp and no one knows them but the OP, people are getting attacked for asking for help. I will probably get attacked for spelling mistakes and poor grammer. I dont even know what has happened to this place. What is wrong with everyone? I know we are hungry and grumpy and tired and stressed and some of us even have PMS and cravings and others need to take a shower ;-) . But cant we all just get along?

Do you want to know what really happened (or at least when it happened)?

The moderation.

They put their lead foot down so hard on so much of the normal, fun behavior that many people USED to display...way back when things were mostly self policing (before groups). Back then, there was a small group of people that got offended by EVERYTHING, and reported EVERYTHING. The foot came down, and most of the normal adults on this forum felt like they'd just been told to go to bed early without supper for being...adults, on an adult site. It was a joke.

Now, I'll be honest, I can't say 100% for sure those two things are truly related...but I can tell you this, when that happened, is when everyone began to get snotty and pissy instead of correcting their own behavior and sticking up for each other. Now you have however many groups of like minded individuals who are incredibly defensive, both to the membership who regularly attack them and to the moderation for their gustapo like policing of the threads (which isn't even CONSISTENT!!), rather than ONE solid forum with one small group of whiners that consistently complained.

What's really funny, is that the majority of us that were here then...saw all of this coming.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    People forget that there is no right answer and we are all just trying to get healthier doing what is right based on our experiences.
    Often, though, there is a right answer. This is why it's important to learn how to do your homework and find reputable sources of information.
    that is true, but where I grew up you can respectfully disagree and someones opinion does not always equal who they are as a person.
    I agree. Too often, folks interpret disagreement in regard to a topic as a personal attack.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I can't get past the dozen threads everyday complaining about one thing or another. It's hard to be supportive and positive with so much complaining going on. :ohwell:
    This is true.
  • Orient_Charm
    Orient_Charm Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    As every real place of our life, just select the people you want to deal with, and ignore others....
  • Michellerawrrr
    Michellerawrrr Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    lol am i the only one really really amused by the forums? i think its hilarious, especially when people start whipping out these false "scientific" claims they can't back up!! you just gotta take them with a grain of salt i guess :)

although i agree that the forums saying its fine to eat under 1200 cals and all that piss me off.

THIS

Especially the under 1200 cals....drives me bat **** crazzzzzy!! I too find most of it funny and I won't apologize for it. I mean come on people free advice is worth what you pay! Quit whining and *****ing sooo much - life is too short!!
  • TrishJimenez
    Options
    Support and encouragement and information. Now I am loosing more and more motivation to log in and read the community boards since I have to wade thru thread after thread of people arguing, putting other people down for asking a question, venting about complete strangers that are not even on mfp and no one knows them but the OP, people are getting attacked for asking for help. I will probably get attacked for spelling mistakes and poor grammer. I dont even know what has happened to this place. What is wrong with everyone? I know we are hungry and grumpy and tired and stressed and some of us even have PMS and cravings and others need to take a shower ;-) . But cant we all just get along?

I think you may be right. There is a reason that even though my 17 year old daughter needs to gain about 10 lbs that I have not signed her up for a membership here to assist her in gaining weight. It is an adult site. And now that you mention it a lot of the fun and games has gone away. oh well such is life :)

The moderation.

They put their lead foot down so hard on so much of the normal, fun behavior that many people USED to display...way back when things were mostly self policing (before groups). Back then, there was a small group of people that got offended by EVERYTHING, and reported EVERYTHING. The foot came down, and most of the normal adults on this forum felt like they'd just been told to go to bed early without supper for being...adults, on an adult site. It was a joke.

Now, I'll be honest, I can't say 100% for sure those two things are truly related...but I can tell you this, when that happened, is when everyone began to get snotty and pissy instead of correcting their own behavior and sticking up for each other. Now you have however many groups of like minded individuals who are incredibly defensive, both to the membership who regularly attack them and to the moderation for their gustapo like policing of the threads (which isn't even CONSISTENT!!), rather than ONE solid forum with one small group of whiners that consistently complained.

What's really funny, is that the majority of us that were here then...saw all of this coming.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

The moderation.

I think you may be right. There is a reason that even though my 17 year old daughter needs to gain about 10 lbs that I have not signed her up for a membership here to assist her in gaining weight. It is an adult site. And now that you mention it a lot of the fun and games has gone away. oh well such is life :)

Let her use the phone app then...for the time being?
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Please do not send another minor here. Try sparkteens.com, please.
  • TrishJimenez
    Options

that is true! Good idea! When she gets a smart phone, maybe this summer.....

The moderation.

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

I'm with you. Often after I've read a few messages here, my own life seems much more simple and positive, I'm thankful I don't have all the issues that beset some people!

It's also pretty interesting from a cultural point of view - I've travelled a lot and accept that people live very different lives and have different opinions, but so many people just don't get the fact that other people are in a different place - both literally and figuratively.

Honestly, I don't think the boards have changed that much in the nearly 16 months that I've been here - hot topics come and go (I'm getting pretty sick of BMR threads but at least it's a change from the endless 'should I eat my exercise cals" that made up every second post when I started - now they are about every 10th post!).

I also find the "some people are so negative" posts funny - mostly because the people who post them are usually being negative. Oh well, it makes it interesting!
  • crisanderson27
    Options

The moderation.

that is true! Good idea! When she gets a smart phone, maybe this summer.....

Your quotes are kinda screwed up there hun, lol.

Posting from a phone? I've found that if I 'select all', then 'cut' the original quote...then type in my message, and repast the original quote above my message, it works well.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I barely use the forumns now. When i offer people advice, i dont expect to have to list a hundred sources, and my credentials. Im not interested in being a internet celebrity, i log my cals and encourage my actual friends on here, im sick of the internet culture of everyone expecting everything on a plate for them.
  • sel254
    sel254 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree more! Just this past weekend, I was appalled at some of the things that people think it's okay to say to others on here! I say well done on getting to your goal, but instead of putting people down who haven't reached theirs yet, how about remembering how you felt WHILE you were getting there and providing some support and encouragement? Being polite doesn't cost anything! I rarely reply to forum posts just to avoid the "bullies" finding anything in my response that they can "grab on to" and having to deal with that nonsense. On the bright side though, I will accept friend requests if anyone wants to give and recieve motivation - I don't care if you're fat, thin, young, old, male, female, green or purple :) We're all here for the same thing so I say the more the merrier :)
  • Hev_uk
    Hev_uk Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am reasonably new here but the one thing that really pisses me off is the number of new threads on similar topics. I have had lots of questions in my early weight loss journey but I'm used the search function and found the answer rather than starting yet another BMR thread, or posting about what you're doing wrong when your diary reveals 600cals of junk food and nothing else.

I also get frustrated at the faux medical advice, such as telling people they have to poo 4 times a day to be helpful. It's dangerous! I find myself feeling compelled to reply to some of these threads as I am medically trained so my advice is actually backed up on evidence and facts rather than guesswork.

Anyone feel free to add me. I'd like to build up my friends community so I can ask and answer questions there instead of on the main forums where I know the answer will be the same!