I remember when MFP was for....................

Options
13»

Replies

• siobhan478
    siobhan478 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree more, I've been using MFP for 4 months now but I have hardly joined in with the forum discussions because of the very reasons mentioned here. There is far too much *****ing and sniping and it's quite off-putting when you first join and start browsing the threads.
  • Ravenesque_
    Ravenesque_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    For all the trolls and arguing there are people on here worth their weight in gold.

The gems of the internet: diamonds in the rough.

:)
  • juliee274
    juliee274 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    This is why one should use the forums to find like-minded folks, build a good friends list, and rely on them for support.

The forums can be helpful for information gathering, if you can sort through the myths and find info from reputable sources.

The forums are also good for laughs and trolling.

^For the most part, this is how I use the forums, too. And maybe I am just really off base, but it seems to me that many times (not all, but quite a few) the folks causing "issues" need to "lose" like 5 pounds. Don't bring your already skinny self up in here causing trouble! Big people like me who need to lose lots of weight can get "hangry" and we'll eat you! :happy:
  • bethgames
    bethgames Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I've been here awhile and I like the forums. I find them funny and entertaining. And whatever it takes to keep me coming back is good, because then I also think about my food, my goals and my journey. My friends on here are great for support and the forums are for asking bigger questions or for support. Whatever kind of support you need at that moment, there is someone here to help. Because it is not always diet issues that mess up your weight loss goals, sometimes it is relationship issues or life issues that derail you. Support is important to succeed, whatever is going on your life. We will be here for you too. :flowerforyou:
  • SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    For all the trolls and arguing there are people on here worth their weight in gold.

The gems of the internet: diamonds in the rough.

:)

This is true :) However, in my experience, the bigger an online community gets, the more you have to sift through to find those diamonds in the rough.

In my few weeks here I've learned to simply ignore threads that have "red flag" topics, like starvation mode, fasting, eating under 1200 calories and so on. I know how I feel about those, and reading 15 pages of the same arguments isn't going to change my mind so it's just a waste of my time.
    I love reading the recipes and success stories though, they are very helpful.
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Support and encouragement and information. Now I am loosing more and more motivation to log in and read the community boards since I have to wade thru thread after thread of people arguing, putting other people down for asking a question, venting about complete strangers that are not even on mfp and no one knows them but the OP, people are getting attacked for asking for help. I will probably get attacked for spelling mistakes and poor grammer. I dont even know what has happened to this place. What is wrong with everyone? I know we are hungry and grumpy and tired and stressed and some of us even have PMS and cravings and others need to take a shower ;-) . But cant we all just get along?

Do you want to know what really happened (or at least when it happened)?

The moderation.

They put their lead foot down so hard on so much of the normal, fun behavior that many people USED to display...way back when things were mostly self policing (before groups). Back then, there was a small group of people that got offended by EVERYTHING, and reported EVERYTHING. The foot came down, and most of the normal adults on this forum felt like they'd just been told to go to bed early without supper for being...adults, on an adult site. It was a joke.

Now, I'll be honest, I can't say 100% for sure those two things are truly related...but I can tell you this, when that happened, is when everyone began to get snotty and pissy instead of correcting their own behavior and sticking up for each other. Now you have however many groups of like minded individuals who are incredibly defensive, both to the membership who regularly attack them and to the moderation for their gustapo like policing of the threads (which isn't even CONSISTENT!!), rather than ONE solid forum with one small group of whiners that consistently complained.

What's really funny, is that the majority of us that were here then...saw all of this coming.

i agree with most of this. there's a difference between having a bad day and taking it out on the people on the interwebs and going out of your way to bash someone or make fun of someone or start yet another trolling thread being passive agressive and making fun of people. it's exhausting to weed through and utterly annoying. i work on my computer like a lot of people do and so it's easy to multitask and work and visit MFP addictingly (yes, i know its not a word) but how exhausting to newcomers (and long time trying to hang on to any shred of hope people) to be beat down like that and to watch others get beat down. it's sad that the same people continue on and on in the same old ways. really? there's nothing else going on in your world that needs attention?! i know i have too much *kitten* going on in mine to look for trouble and it has a negative effect on my mood with effects the others around me. *shrug* my two cents...too bad there isn't a "hide" button to hide me from your view, eh? *muah*
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the responses so if this has been said before I apologize. I quit coming to the forums for the most part because I hate reading threads like this. I have to wade through so much crap to read a decent thread its just not worth it. Complaining about no support and motivation is kind of stupid. If you are unhappy find another site, make more friends, or just stay silent.

Honestly, this is the internet, there are a lot of people in this world and not all of us are into hand holding and WTG's. Some of us like to tell people when they are wrong, Or at least give other options - which usually results in conflicts and arguing. You are an adult, I am pretty sure in your real life you do not like everything that happens, do you complain all the time there?

Also, why does everyone automatically assume that because you are losing weight you have to be hungry? I am never hungry, I feel if you are hungry and grumpy about the changes you have made you should probably re-evaluate what you are doing.
  • jlg6599
    jlg6599 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. I usually don't post on any theads unless I am congratulating someone or getting recipes. We are all here to lose weight and learn to live healthier. No one should be disrespected for that.