RUNNERS!!! What percentage of the time does...

Options

Replies

• onewithwings
    Options
    I'm single so I always go it alone. I often enter events with friends so we can share travel and accommodation expenses.
    I'm not a fast runner so my friends are usually waiting for me at the finish...but hey, I "get 'er done"! :bigsmile:
  • MrS1965
    MrS1965 Posts: 16
    Options
    My better half goes to all my races and crews for me. When she is racing I go and support her, then on the occasional one when we are both doing it together we run together and support one another the absolute best :smile:
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Mrs Aperture Science and the Portlets come to about 25% of the races I do (basically the local ones).
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing my first until October, but my fiance is coming to watch. We're turning it into a weekend away, so rather than booking a run nearby I went for one across the country.

I hope he'll come to others in future, but I plan to do a couple a year so if he doesn't want to I will understand.
  • Dragonfly1996
    Dragonfly1996 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hubby has been to all my longer races & some of the 5ks. It is nice to have him at the finish line. I used to support him a few years ago when he did triathlons & most weren't local - I didn't do any real form of exercise at the time so had no idea how it all worked or felt but still offered support. Since I have been running I now know how it all works which makes it easier I find to support. He does more cycling sportives than I do so if I'm not participating I still like to go along. He wasn't keen on me doing a marathon this year because of the training but once I got into it he was ok & came along on the day. He can't complain really!!! :flowerforyou:
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    The SO is planning to come to all my races this year, but it's my first year, so his enthusiasm may wane with time. We were going to make a weekend of the Lake Vyrnwy half marathon. Seems a nice way to combine racing and holidaying.
  • ludgerclay
    ludgerclay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Less than 5%. She was at a 5k and a 50k and has told me she won't be joining me for any more.
  • charlottey22
    charlottey22 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    100%, my fiance comes with me to every running event i do, he likes to give me encouragement, especially during the last strech, my MIL (if she's not running with me) , my auntie, dad and brother like to come along too lol its like a family event :laugh: x
  • threedaysfromyou
    Options
    0%
    I've done two half marathons, so far. My pace is pretty slow, and there's all that business before and after... it doesn't feel right to me to expect someone who doesn't enjoy crowds and milling about to mill about in a crowd or sit in a pub early in the morning while I get my run on. He supports me during traing and then waits on me like a butler when I get home, which I love.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I've only done 2 5K's, but no spouse yet. I don't really expect it either - he is not a morning person, and does not enjoy crowds. I have a 5 mile trail run this weekend that he was talking about coming to, but my daughter has to be taken to dance right in the middle of it. I am kind of a loner anyway, so I don't care. If/when I do a half marathon, though, I will expect my family at the finish line!!
  • cariandy
    cariandy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I have done all of our races together untill he got deployed to Afghanistan last year. Even then he stayed up late this weekend and was sending me emails the whole day of my half marathon! He was literally "there" with me at the finish line!!! If he is not ready to run a race with me when he gets back..he'd be there the whole time cheering me on until he is trained up again!!(He's not in a great area for outdoor running) I am very lucky!! :heart:
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    My husband is my chauffeur and support personnel. I have run races where he is not present but he was mostly likely watching our kids. I really like having him there for the marathons but it doesn't really matter to me for the smaller races... maybe because the smaller races are all local and it seems more like a training run? IDK. I do enjoy when he is able to bring our 5 kids. Seeing them at a race waving and cheering makes me happy. Some day I hope to wave and cheer them on in their races. :)
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I am just recently separated from my partner and I must say, he came to more races during our relationship than I ever expected. Maybe more than I want him to, as well.

Running was always a selfish pleasure of mine. I loved that it was the only thing I did in my life that was purely for me and I didn't care what anyone else thought of my pace, time, performance. I always preferred long runs when no one was watching to race days. My partner would always want to accompany me and cheer me on and sometimes I would have to tell him I just wanted to go it rogue and do my own thing - not make a big deal or event of it, and just enjoy the run. Having a spectacle or cheering section sometimes takes away from the purity of the run for me, I guess :ohwell:

Either way - I'm a single lady now and racing solo! I love to meet up with running friends at races because I know they are there to run their own races, hit their own goals, and have their own agenda. I'm more than happy to be my only cheering section, however. It's a great way to see what you're made of!
  • Run4iiiiiit
    Run4iiiiiit Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    My wife comes with when I go to Fort Lauderdale for a full. She drive me to the start and picks me up. Every other half or less, I go by myself.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    When i was with someone she went to the big races, and since I dont race much, that was about 40-50%.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    None, cause he lives in another state! :grumble:

BUT...we will be running our first race together this coming Sunday...SO excited!!!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Marathons only, so 2 out of....dozens and dozens.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The first few, he was working night shift at the time, so he slept while I ran. I think he's come to about 75% as my cheerleader and photographer.
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I have done all of our races together untill he got deployed to Afghanistan last year. Even then he stayed up late this weekend and was sending me emails the whole day of my half marathon! He was literally "there" with me at the finish line!!!

I think I love your husband!
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I haven't done many, but my husband always tries to be there, at least to see me finish (and my kids, too, if they can). Secretly I'm hoping he'll one day start running WITH me. :wink: But I don't think I should hold my breath.