Best breakfast to fend off hunger?

Options
123457»

Replies

• Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Try this group on here - They can probably help you out with any questions about IF:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/49-intermittent-fasting
    I joined the group! Thanks
  • Mcctin65
    Options
    In my experience, eating both parts of the egg keeps me fuller than just the whites (and the yolks are particularly nutritious! See this USDA table http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html). Unless cholesterol is a serious concern for you, you may want to consider eating whole eggs instead of just using whites.
    I love eating the entire eggs most days. Just wanted to try a new recipe. I'm all for the egg! I get my beautiful brown eggs from my neighbor. They are so fresh! Hardboiing is out of the question. Can't peel them.
    I eat farm fresh eggs as well. I have an egg cooker. You add distilled water and your eggs just sit on a tray. It beeps when they're done (the water has evaporated).
    Also, once the egg is cooked and cooled a little, I crack it in half with the edge of a spoon then scoop the egg out of it's shell.
    I enjoy 2 hard boiled eggs and 1 low-fat yogurt almost every morning. This holds me until about 11 and at that time I have a fruit.
    I think I need an egg cooker too
  • Mcctin65
    Options
    In my experience, eating both parts of the egg keeps me fuller than just the whites (and the yolks are particularly nutritious! See this USDA table http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html). Unless cholesterol is a serious concern for you, you may want to consider eating whole eggs instead of just using whites.
    I love eating the entire eggs most days. Just wanted to try a new recipe. I'm all for the egg! I get my beautiful brown eggs from my neighbor. They are so fresh! Hardboiing is out of the question. Can't peel them.

Oh, so jealous!! Proper, brown, new eggs are gold-plated in London, and they are so much better than the supermarket variety, no matter how 'free-range' one buys. Absolutely understand trying a new recipe - just wanted to be sure you weren't missing out on the wonder of a full egg, because of a fear of (now generally held to be mythical) 'dangerous cholesterol' in eggs!
    Want me to mail you some eggs? Hmmm,... I could start a new business! Or maybe you could.. got room for a couple chickens?
  • Mcctin65
    Options
    I eat a protein bar and a banana on the way to the gym every morning. It works for me. :)
    beautifully simple and stress free.. I may have to try this also
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

I agree, give me the whole thing and 2 of them :)
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat this but I've found this has worked in the past
    - hard boiled egg
    - half a piece of toast (or part of a bagel)
    - a fruit (but a big one, like an apple or banana)
  • Greg127
    Greg127 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Another vote for 2 eggs over hard, 2 slices of low sodium bacon, coffee and usually 2 glasses of water before I leave the house. An ounce of cashews another hard boiled egg as snacks throughout the day. Lunch is usally an Arbonne Vegan protein shake made with unsweetened vanilla Almond milk and 3 or 4 large frozen strawberries. Works just about every day.
  • Redheadllena
    Redheadllena Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I've found that while delicious, sweet breakfasts (cereal, almond butter/pb&j sandwich, breakfast bar etc.) don't hold me nearly as long as I need most days. I think part of this has to do with the fact that sugar gives me cravings and the munchies :P

My favorite breakfast is a customized bowl of 1/4 cup Quaker 1-minute oats cooked in 1/2 cup water or 1/4 soy milk, 1/4 water and either a more savory mixture of some combo of the following mixed in; Morningstar Veggie dog, vegetarian breaded chicken patty that's been cut up, avocado, roasted red pepper hummus, any veggies I have in the fridge and of course salt & pepper OR a more sweet combo of any of these items stirred in: fresh fruit (strawberries, banana, blackberries), low-salt dry roasted almonds (I chop them up), cinnamon, dry cereal/granola (just a little, for crunch), raisins and sometimes a small bit of shredded coconut flakes or honey for sweetness. With that to start my day, coupled with a big cup or two of Jasmine Green tea, or Black tea with soy creamer holds me well until lunch (about 6:30-7:30 until noon).

Hope it helps! This is also a great item for any vegetarians/vegans (obviously not all of the above toppings are vegan, but you get the idea) out there and it's nice cause you can change it up depending on what you have/what you're in the mood for :)
  • mcorrick
    mcorrick Posts: 1
    Options
    This sounds great! How much Almond milk, cocoa powder, canned pumpkin do you use?
    my breakfast usually goes something like this.... (This is today's breakfast) --- keeps me full for hours, I usually have to make myself go ahead and eat lunch just because I know I 'need' to eat, not because I'm starving. :)

protein shake (3/4 scoop chocolate protein powder, almond milk *currently using so Almond + protein*, cocoa powder, canned pumpkin, black beans (1/8 cup), 2tbsp vanilla greek yogurt, ice)
    veggie medley - 2 servings cauliflower. 1/4 cup cooked lentils, 1/8 cup black beans, 1/8 cup diced tomatoes, 2 mushrooms, 1 cup spinach

378 calories
    4g fat
    50g carbs
    19g fiber
    49g protein
    346mg sodium
  • leopard_barbie
    leopard_barbie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Love this thread! I had some porridge today but I put sugar in it so I feel bad now! Gonna try some of these great ideas!
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options

Oh, so jealous!! Proper, brown, new eggs are gold-plated in London, and they are so much better than the supermarket variety, no matter how 'free-range' one buys. Absolutely understand trying a new recipe - just wanted to be sure you weren't missing out on the wonder of a full egg, because of a fear of (now generally held to be mythical) 'dangerous cholesterol' in eggs!
    Want me to mail you some eggs? Hmmm,... I could start a new business! Or maybe you could.. got room for a couple chickens?

Mail-order eggs - now there's a thought! Not sure how you'd pack them, or if I trust the USPS/Royal Mail to get them to the UK intact, but thanks for the offer :laugh: I have a friend who kept chickens in London, until one escaped when he was away for the weekend, and he ended up with a massive fine, and lots of very cross neighbours... sadly, poultry and big cities don't seem to mix! I've actually just discovered that a new Italian deli near me imports the most divine eggs from Italy - cheaper than the supermarket, wonderful yolks, and relatively fresh. Not quite the same as fresh-laid, but an improvement, nonetheless :smile:

Oh, and I meant to add, I microwave-poach my morning egg during the week, when I'm always short on time. An egg, and a smidgeon of butter in a ramekin, plastic wrap on top, pierced a couple of times, and 50 seconds on the second-highest heat works for me. Other microwaves might take a little experimentation to find the heat/time combination, but it's wonderfully quick.
  • pixiesteph
    pixiesteph Posts: 17
    Options
    banana's, eggs, porridge.

I like to make a yummy breakfast smoothie with lots of banana and berries and porridge oats some yogurt and some honey. On the other hand a couple of bananas with a tbsp of honey a tbsp (or two) of peanutbutter and some yoghurt (frozen works best but i use normal) and orange juice is the yummiest ever! it gives you energy and it is super sweet. I got the recipe from zumo smoothie bar.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Mine's probably not the best option but keeps me going till mid morning

small slice hovis wholemeal toast - under 60 cals
    flora lowfat spread
    1/2 tbsp peanut butter
    1 tsp strawberry jam

cup of tea with semi skimmed milk and a sweetener

(breakfast's usually a bit of an afterthought whilst getting ready for work during the week)

by about 10.30am I have a banana or an apple plus another cuppa

I do agree that eggs on wholemeal toast are quite filling and porridge too (is that what you guys call oatmeal?)

I sometimes do a 2 (medium) egg, mushroom, onion and baby tomato omlette (seasoned with nutmeg, paprika, black pepper and salt) is pretty good too if I've got the time. -about 200 cals but tastes like 400! I sometimes have it for lunch on a bed of baby leaf spinach, with half a tablespoon low fat sour cream and chive, and tomato based table sauce (ie bbq, reggae reggae or ketchup)
  • minnielovesmickey
    minnielovesmickey Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Oooh I love full fat Greek yogurt with half a chopped a banana with a squirt of honey. While I'm eating that I'll be boiling an egg or grilling some smoked bacon. Keeps me full for 4 hours
  • ahs85
    ahs85 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been making Overnight Oats. They easily keep me full until lunch, and you can make them in many different ways. They're chilled oats, so it sounds a little strange at first, but it's really tasty. I've been putting banana in mine, and i think it takes a lot like banana pudding! Here are a few links:

http://www.katheats.com/favorite-foods/overnightoats

http://www.pepperlynn.com/2012/02/overnight-oats-two-ways/
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    toast some whole wheat bread
    smear some peanut butter or nutella on toast
    slice banana (1 banana usually does 2 slices of toast)
    put slices on peanut butter
    drizzle a tiny bit of honey over banana

Enjoy

I eat this a lot in the winter and it carries me thru and past lunch most of the time

this made me drool....

Me too! Must try this one also.

I had that this morning! :)