3 month NO Coffee experiment results...

Options

Replies

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting (how brave!). I'm giving up my Yerba Mate with flavored creamer tomorrow for a month and we'll see what happens. I switched from Coffee to Mate about 6 months ago and it's definitely helped reduce incidents of morning indigestion, but I still feel like the caffeine and creamer need to go.

Everyone is different. Great job doing the detective work.

You are so welcomed and THANK YOU TOO for posting:flowerforyou: Everyone is different and what's good for some may not be for others. I do SO appreciate you saying "everyone is different" --This is so important for us ALL to know and believe on our weight-loss journey and in life in general. Be it coffee, meats, swimming, running, styles whatevah--everyone is different and there is no such thing as one size fits all--it just doesn't and I'm glad it doesn't either:drinker:

When I first felt "Led" to stop drinking coffee completely...I thought, nah...I'll look for something else"Healthy" instead. I went to the Health Food Store and found some "Yerba Mate" and thought, PERFECT solution!:drinker: When I got home, I googled Yerba Mate and found this SCARY info on it...FROM the Yerba Mate Website:sick:

Yerba Mate and Cancer
    http://www.yerbamatecafe.com/yerbamateandcancer.html

Yerba Mates Healthy Drink or Health Risk (from the caring for cancer website)
    https://www.caring4cancer.com/go/cancer/nutrition/questions

Reading this info scared the BLUE BLAZES out of me and I returned it, when they asked me why I was returning it, I told them I discovered it may be linked to cancer. She took it back and said 'that's why i'd never drink that stuff--drinking this is large quantities or with smoking will kill ya dead and fast"--I said Yikes and got my money back. Even though smoking or drinking it in large quantities was out of the question, still it scared me:noway: and just went cold turkey!
  • Kaylyn221
    Kaylyn221 Posts: 123
    Options
    Im on the fence when it comes to coffee. I have given up Sodas and every other drink known to man kind other then water. I drink at least 1 gallon everyday {water} and eat super clean {no processed, no sugar, no fatty/greasy… etc} and I work out 6 days a week burning upwards of 600 or more calories within a 1hr workout.

Coffee however… I don’t see myself giving up lol. I wake up everyday @ 4AM, get my son ready and we are out the door at 5:30 with a 45min. commute, then im on my feet all day in the heat at work {aircraft mechanic}, home around 5ish with same commute, I workout once I get home and then the Husband and I make dinner, then playtime/bath time/story time with our son and before I know it, it’s 10PM… so needless to say that nice hot cup of coffee come 4 in the morning the next day, really REALLY hits the spot {sometimes I have a cup in the afternoon}. I do put creamer in mine too. Sugar free hazelnut creamer and some Sugar in the RAW. That one cup is the only ‘sweet’ thing I have.

I think if it works for you {giving up coffee} then great, but at the same rate coffee isn’t necessarily bad either. :drinker:
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    When you say "flavored creamers", are you talking about those that are in the cold case? Have you looked at the ingredients? Hydrogenated oil, sugar or corn syrup, preservatives, etc.

Have you tried drinking decaf and keeping it black? Caffeine is really taxing on the adrenal glands.
  • laurieagain09
    laurieagain09 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 32nissy
    32nissy Posts: 67
    Options
    bump
  • skybird455
    skybird455 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    thank you for sharing this. I drink one cup, black in the morning and that is it. For me it works right now as I am consistently losing body fat and weight every month. But I am glad for the information you shared. If I get to a platuea I will make that one of the changes. I love this sight, people sharing what words and what doesnt for them....its helped me so much.
  • Mommy2Avaj
    Mommy2Avaj Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Same here. I drink it black. Its my one vice. I don't drink alcohol, and I quit smoking. I will have to lose weight without giving up coffee. I have slowed to 2-3 cups a day rather than two pots!
  • JenniferH81
    JenniferH81 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I find this interesting. I started drinking coffee after my daughter was born. That's also when I struggled with losing the baby weight. (which I still have 9 years later)

I dug the tea out of the pantry. One month without coffee wont kill me. and I'm quite interested in seeing if that is the reason why I have been stuck at the same weight for so long.
  • acs4162
    acs4162 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Great Post!

I cut out instant/flavored coffee and the sweetened creamers in March, along with a few other diet changes. I lost 10 pounds within only 4 weeks. I switched to adding sweetened almond milk to my coffee and I do enjoy the taste (it took some getting used to.)

I know I still drink too much coffee and I'm considering a "coffee fast" this summer sometime. I'm a teacher and I just don't have the courage to give up coffee during the last 4 weeks of school.

Thanks for the results of your experiment!
  • boo333
    boo333 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking coffee as well but I think it was the creamer and the splenda. I agree coffee does make me crave other things.
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I like my SUGAR with coffee and CREAM!
    :cry:
  • hikingmonk
    hikingmonk Posts: 134 Member
    Options

Yerba Mate and Cancer
    http://www.yerbamatecafe.com/yerbamateandcancer.html

Yerba Mates Healthy Drink or Health Risk (from the caring for cancer website)
    https://www.caring4cancer.com/go/cancer/nutrition/questions

Thank you for sharing those links. I can't believe I've never heard of those negative reports before. Definitely need to do some more research tonight! Moving on to green tea then (which is good because I can drink it without cream and sugar).
  • emmy3111
    emmy3111 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Wow - this makes me think. Starting tomorrow going to try no coffee at all... we'll see what happens :)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Wow - this makes me think. Starting tomorrow going to try no coffee at all... we'll see what happens :)

wow...but are you REALLY thinking? if you read this entire thread, you would have to conclude that the actual coffee has nothing to do with it. It is the creamers and other floavor stuff people put INTO coffee. why would you stop drinking coffee based on this thread? I would really like to know
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
  • finchest
    finchest Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    i love this post! you rock!! I love your experiment and look forward to your next experiment as you find the way to the healthiest you!!

Someone (maybe my sister? maybe my own brain?) once said to me that the first meal you have of the day often dictates the way you treat yourself for the rest of the day. If you start with a sugary, unhealthy beverage, chances are, the rest of the day will follow suit!

Since hearing that, I make my best effort to make my first meal of the day my very healthiest :)

Anyway -- again, you rock!! I love the taste of coffee (and especially love it with those flavored creamers in it...) and succumb once in awhile.. but i'm with you, I do so much better without it all!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    i love this post! you rock!! I love your experiment and look forward to your next experiment as you find the way to the healthiest you!!

Someone (maybe my sister? maybe my own brain?) once said to me that the first meal you have of the day often dictates the way you treat yourself for the rest of the day. If you start with a sugary, unhealthy beverage, chances are, the rest of the day will follow suit!

Since hearing that, I make my best effort to make my first meal of the day my very healthiest :)

Anyway -- again, you rock!! I love the taste of coffee (and especially love it with those flavored creamers in it...) and succumb once in awhile.. but i'm with you, I do so much better without it all!

Thank you and it's actually YOU who ROCK!!!!! I :heart: LOVE :heart: this and will remember it for the rest of my life;

..." the first meal you have of the day often dictates the way you treat yourself for the rest of the day."

Wow, I'd NEVER heard that before--that's powerful to me and inspirational as can be. I'll use this EVERYDAY to inspire me to start my day off eating AND drinking good stuff.

You are such a Super STAR and I'm thrilled you're my sister & friend!!!!!!!!
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could survive long enough to even try eating healthier foods and exercising more if I stopped drinking coffee.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    wow...but are you REALLY thinking? if you read this entire thread, you would have to conclude that the actual coffee has nothing to do with it. It is the creamers and other floavor stuff people put INTO coffee. why would you stop drinking coffee based on this thread? I would really like to know

I agree. My grandmother drank coffee all morning and afternoon. She probably didn't weigh more than 105 lbs. She drank it black. My mom drinks at least a pot a day. In the last few years, she has lost 60 lbs. She drinks it black. I'm skeptical of coffee being the problem.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    this has been one of the strangest threads I have ever posted on. With zero actual correlation between coffee and body fat, the OP has apparently been able to convince several people to suddenly quit drinking coffee. kind of sad and kind of scary in a way. I guess this is why so many new companies are created every day selling a new weight loss pill or gimmick.

what is really strange is how so many people are saluting the thread as if it is the gospel truth. Very strange. I will continue to drink my coffee.

^^ Ditto. Coffee has nearly no calories. It is all the stuff people put in coffee that makes you gain weight. Even if the caffeine does have a negative affect on your body by increasing stress hormones plenty of people are able to lose weight or maintain a healthy weight while regularly drinking coffee.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!