North Carolina Amendment to Ban Gay Marriage, thoughts?

Options

Replies

• nas24
    nas24 Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    For me marriage is a civil right and to not allow a group of people that right is 100% wrong. It's just like when they made interracial marriage illegal. Very sad that people still feel this way, even more so because the divorce rate is over 50% now. What are gay couples going to ruin, that we haven't already ruined ourselves? NOTHING!! Some of the couple i know that have been together the longest are gay couples, one who have been together almost 30 years. Again very sad and breaks my heart. Love is love, in every shape or form, and just because someone doesn't follow what YOU want, doesn't mean its wrong. I think people that are against gay marriage need to look deep into themselves and figure out what their own problems are before pointing the finger or judging
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Besides, It isn't like they can cross the boarder...
    How does bisecting a person renting a room change anything?

Also, please keep the political debates in the groups.

Oops! Sorry - thought this was in my debating group :smile: Off to restart elsewhere

I don't see why it matters? There are plenty of nonfitness threads outside of groups.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Absolutely daft. I thought this was on track to be defeated??? What happened? Presumably there will be legal challenges on the basis of constitutionality as in California et al.? Of course, it would be much simpler if Gay Marriage was legalised on a federal rather than state level, but I'm guessing that's too much to hope for, since we Brits can't even get around to doing that, and we're much less anti- on the whole than the US appears to be!
    Our Constitution doesn't allow for the federal government to regulate marriage (any kind). Why would we want the government to come in and say what we can and cannot do?
    Yep. It's a state issue, and the state has spoken. It's up the the folks there to vote at the polls and/or with their feet.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options

Oops! Sorry - thought this was in my debating group :smile: Off to restart elsewhere

I don't see why it matters? There are plenty of nonfitness threads outside of groups.
    Yes, but political debate is expressly verboten in the guidelines, and for good reason. It gets far too nasty.

Brush up, specifically #16: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I have a question, If the separation of church and state is so important in this country... why is everyone trying to push for legalizing gay marriages. Marriage is a religious thing, so shouldn't the church be aloud to say no.

I could be mistaken, never looked into marriage, but the only thing that changes, from being a living together situation, is someone's name changes.
    No offense, but maybe you should know a little something about it before you discuss it. You are dreadfully mistaken... marriage confers important legal rights and benefits that gay couples are denied access to.

Marriage is two things: legal and religious. In this context, we're only talking about the legal aspect. The church has nothing to do with it and should be kept out of it.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I'm transgendered today. My hearts go out to families in that state who will have legal struggles to be recognized as legitimate families: those who cannot adopt, those who cannot cover their family's insurance needs, those who cannot care for their partner's final wishes, those who will be refused visitations if their partner is in icu.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Really I don't see a problem with the ban, homosexuality is a personal choice, you can't force the acceptance of your lifestyle on anyone else. 1Cor 6:9-10 sums it up pretty well and for those who argue that there is a seperation of religion and state, you can not leave God out of His own arrangement Gen2:24.

I know there are many who don't believe or consider God but many of us do so therefore, N.C. voted and the gay rights will not prevail in that state. Feel free to move to any state that will honor a gay marriage.

So do you practice that one quote from Leviticus... If they curse at their mother or father they shall be put to death.
    That would suck.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I have a question, If the separation of church and state is so important in this country... why is everyone trying to push for legalizing gay marriages. Marriage is a religious thing, so shouldn't the church be aloud to say no.

I could be mistaken, never looked into marriage, but the only thing that changes, from being a living together situation, is someone's name changes.

Actually, marriage is a legal contract. My husband and I were married in a civil ceremony with the County Clerk officiating. No church involved. We enjoy the same benefits as anyone married in a church, including next-of-kin status, federal tax breaks, employer insurance benefits, etc. Why should I have these rights but not, say, my co-worker and her partner?
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options

wow... I knew there was a reason I hated politics....

If they really really have to be "married" then they will move to another state, say New York. Then that would make it legal. Stay in New York, and then they have their "marriage" they so desperately wanted. NC looses people NY gains people.... who cares?
  • nas24
    nas24 Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Really I don't see a problem with the ban, homosexuality is a personal choice, you can't force the acceptance of your lifestyle on anyone else. 1Cor 6:9-10 sums it up pretty well and for those who argue that there is a seperation of religion and state, you can not leave God out of His own arrangement Gen2:24.

I know there are many who don't believe or consider God but many of us do so therefore, N.C. voted and the gay rights will not prevail in that state. Feel free to move to any state that will honor a gay marriage.

So do you practice that one quote from Leviticus... If they curse at their mother or father they shall be put to death.
    That would suck.

LOVE IT! Oh and being gay IS NOT a choice. If you believe in "god" and are a true "christian" your suppose to accept and love everyone unconditionally
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Marriage is a religious thing, so shouldn't the church be aloud to say no.

Marriage has two components, a religious component and a secular one.

The religious component is, should always be, and hopefully will always be the domain of one's chosen religion. No religion should be forced to accept or recognize the religious component of a marriage they disagree with (this has to do with acceptance by their God or Gods, acceptance of people as members of their religion, etc). This is an important freedom to defend - the right of people to practice their religion in the way they see fit.

The secular component has more to do with inheritance law, spousal access to the deathbed and/or critical care, common law, shared property, insurance, and a series of financial and legal things that society offers to married couples. This imparts certain rights to the couple to make it easier to live as a couple.

As an example, I was married by a Justice of the Peace in a rented hall. There was absolutely no religious component to my (heterosexual) marriage. I do not ask any Church, Synagogue, or other religious institution to accept, recognize, or even acknowledge my marriage. Never have, never will.

I have devout family members to this day who refuse to accept my 20+ year marriage as valid in the eyes of their God, and think of my daughter as a *kitten* child in the eyes of their God, and I believe that is their absolute right to see it that way if they so wish, and if they refuse to allow me in their home I will accept their wishes. Regretfully, but it's their religion and their God and their home. It's too bad, because they are really nice people, but they've decided they don't want "my kind" in their life any more. And that's their RIGHT.

I will defend a religion's right to practice what they wish as vigorously as I will defend an individual's right to marry whom they wish.
  • springseternal
    springseternal Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    homosexuality is a personal choice, you can't force the acceptance of your lifestyle on anyone else.

that's funny. I say the same thing about religion.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options

Actually, marriage is a legal contract. My husband and I were married in a civil ceremony with the County Clerk officiating. No church involved. We enjoy the same benefits as anyone married in a church, including next-of-kin status, federal tax breaks, employer insurance benefits, etc. Why should I have these rights but not, say, my co-worker and her partner?

If those two people married in a church (who are now married in the eyes of God) don't sign a LEGAL CONTRACT, they are not married in the eyes of the law. It's a legal contract, damn it we should call it that...
  • MrsAlcalde
    MrsAlcalde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    To the fool that told me to FOYC, well, aren't you the classy and intelligent one, sliding in anonymously on a thread to spew your venom.:laugh:
  • Shfiftyfive
    Shfiftyfive Posts: 261
    Options
    Welcome to The South.
  • vade43113
    Options

That would suck.

LOVE IT! Oh and being gay IS NOT a choice. If you believe in "god" and are a true "christian" your suppose to accept and love everyone unconditionally

There is a difference between love and lust. But in the english language, and modern day, we have combine the two... stupidly....
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    homosexuality is a personal choice, you can't force the acceptance of your lifestyle on anyone else.

that's funny. I say the same thing about religion.

Thank you!

I will now graciously bow out of this thread before I lose my mind and temper. I have no patiences for discrimination, nor the people who condone it. You all have a fantastic day. :happy:
  • vade43113
    Options

If those two people married in a church (who are now married in the eyes of God) don't sign a LEGAL CONTRACT, they are not married in the eyes of the law. It's a legal contract, damn it we should call it that...

Agreed
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    389761_309355165806714_210233502385548_698474_2139807361_n.jpg

nb4 lock
  • Shfiftyfive
    Shfiftyfive Posts: 261
    Options

Your imaginary friend is more of a choice than sexual orientation.
This discussion has been closed.