North Carolina Amendment to Ban Gay Marriage, thoughts?

Options

Replies

• GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    nb4 lock
    After already having posted in the thread? :huh:
  • daveclrk58
    daveclrk58 Posts: 258
    Options
    The people of North Carolina spoke. I'm not from North Carolina, so my opinion has no bearing on thier states rights. They did the most democratic and fair thing possible by letting the people vote.
  • Sascha
    Sascha Posts: 204
    Options
    As mentioned by another member in this thread- please keep this discussion in private groups. Community guideline #16 expresses this correctly: No Political Topics in the Main Forums

Political content is not allowed on the Main Forums. This includes images. Please form or join a Group if you would like to engage in political debate on MyFitnessPal.

Thanks!
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    nb4 lock
    After already having posted in the thread? :huh:

had to post the incest map :tongue:
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Really I don't see a problem with the ban, homosexuality is a personal choice, you can't force the acceptance of your lifestyle on anyone else. 1Cor 6:9-10 sums it up pretty well and for those who argue that there is a seperation of religion and state, you can not leave God out of His own arrangement Gen2:24.

I know there are many who don't believe or consider God but many of us do so therefore, N.C. voted and the gay rights will not prevail in that state. Feel free to move to any state that will honor a gay marriage.

You're so ignorant it's actually humorous. Homosexuality is not a choice. People do not choose who they love. Open your eyes, get your head out of the Bible and look around.
  • MrsAlcalde
    MrsAlcalde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Really I don't see a problem with the ban, homosexuality is a personal choice, you can't force the acceptance of your lifestyle on anyone else. 1Cor 6:9-10 sums it up pretty well and for those who argue that there is a seperation of religion and state, you can not leave God out of His own arrangement Gen2:24.

I know there are many who don't believe or consider God but many of us do so therefore, N.C. voted and the gay rights will not prevail in that state. Feel free to move to any state that will honor a gay marriage.
    I don't think anyone's trying to force people into gay marriage. They just want you to mind your own business.

Never said anyone was trying to force people into gay marriage, I said gay people can not force people to accept thier lifestyle, so I am minding my business.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    Actually, the Constitution states that no State Law can supersede the Federal Law. Since marriage is a civil right, it is covered by the Constitution.
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    Coming from germany, I sometimes think, some states here live behind the moon. It shouldn't even be an issue anymore and these religious traditions are just annoying. They have no good reasons for that.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

I don't think anyone's trying to force people into gay marriage. They just want you to mind your own business.

Never said anyone was trying to force people into gay marriage, I said gay people can not force people to accept thier lifestyle, so I am minding my business.

No one is forcing you to accept their lifestyle, just let them have the same rights as everyone else. You can still keep them out of your church and such.
  • Tennolina
    Tennolina Posts: 2,413
    Options
    Welcome to The South.

The same ban exists in 29 other states. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the ban, just don't make this a southern thing, please. :smile:
  • MrsAlcalde
    MrsAlcalde Posts: 261 Member
    Options

You're so ignorant it's actually humorous. Homosexuality is not a choice. People do not choose who they love. Open your eyes, get your head out of the Bible and look around.

So you MUST have sex with person???? I mean I am heterosexual and I don't HAVE to have sex or be in a relationship with a person. I prefer to keep my head in the Bible, at least it makes sense to me. But thanks for your opinion, this is a thread to state your PERSONAL opinion, this is NOT a debate. Your comments will not change my mind or my view point, at least I am not being rude like MOST of you who are responding to my OPINION.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    This absolutely makes me sick to my stomach that it passed, but I was wondering what you all thought about it... Feel free to weigh in.

Personally, I don't care... no offence.

I am not for it, but I am not going to condemn someone for what they do in their spare time, nor who they love.

Besides, It isn't like they can cross the boarder, or move to another state for a short time, to be able to be married. Then move back. I don't think they can remove the certificate even if the law bans the marriage it self.

Actually they can. If NC doesn't recognize gay marriage, then a marriage in another state will not be recognized either.

This wasn't just a gay marriage amendment. It was so much more. The wording said partnerships between a man and a woman are the only ones that will be recognized. That can be far reaching and can apply to business partnerships, too. The only reason it was voted in was because it was being pushed as the gay marriage amendment and that was what those people for voted for it were voting for.

Ignorance at it's best.

Exactly.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Ignorance in bold.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I will just link to Foamy's rant on this particular topic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KLMYaF_Xa8&sns=em

*slowly backs away*
    13519485 Posts: 264
    Options
    When the storm blows over
    Only the strong love remains
    If we're ever gonna see a rainbow
    We have to stand a little rain

from "Stand A Little Rain" by Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

The storm is far from over, and too many of us in the LGBT community have perished in the flood waters caused by all of the rain. This latest downpour in North Carolina cannot be allowed to bring us down, slow us down, or even to make us take a look behind us as we continue to navigate the flood. This is the time to fight, and we must fight with our voices, our votes, and our money.

The 2012 Democratic National Convention is to be held in September in Charlotte, North Carolina. Many are already calling for the Convention to be taken out of North Carolina because the city of Charlotte and therefore North Carolina as a whole stand to gain more than $150 million from the event. While I can see the logic in stripping the State of that revenue I don't think it is the best option. Instead, since the bigoted politicians and voters of North Carolina have decided to make their State a battle ground, I think it would be fitting if we took the fight to them.

And so in September I will be travelling to Charlotte, NC armed with tons of glitter and enough rainbow gear to choke a leprechaun. I will march up to the Convention and demand that the nominees for President and Vice President take an immediate and vocal stand against the individual States and political groups that seek to strip the LGBT+ community of their right to have the same rights as every cisgender, heterosexual person in the nation.

The goal is to have an administration that is willing to come out and scream across America the truth that we all already know, that legal actions like those in North Carolina are unconstitutional, and that there's a reason why personal liberties and rights are not left to popular vote. Hopefully, by the time all of the glitter settles in Charlotte, we'll have a potential administration ready to just that. Then it will all be up to us to vote and to make sure our friends and family vote.

I'd like it very much if I had some company for trip to Charlotte. Anyone interested? Message me, and we'll start sharing ideas about how to get this accomplished.

Cheers,

Candace Prescott

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/591176-rainbows-glitter-march-on-charlotte-north-carolina
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Actually, the Constitution states that no State Law can supersede the Federal Law. Since marriage is a civil right, it is covered by the Constitution.

How is it a civil right? Nobody is stopping people from getting married under Biblical standards (or any religion).
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    If we are supposed to be oped minded, shouldn't we respect the views of the voters in NC? Or does open minded only apply if you agree with one side? Christians can't "force" their beliefs on everyone, but the gay community can force us to accept their lifestyle no matter what. I believe the word to describe that is "hypocritical".

Marriage is an institution designed to raise families, yes I know some people can't, but I'm talking about the main reason for the union. In essence, it's not just about who you love, or what kind of sex you have which is what homosexuality breaks down to.

It recognizes the need for a man and a woman to be involved in the raising of children. Both are important in development of the child. Saying one is not needed(which gay marriage is saying in a way) is a disservice to the unique qualities each sex brings into the family.

Plus it hasn't been proven that people are born that way, to say it's fact is ignorant. Besides, even if it were true, being born a certain way doesn't give a license to do whatever it is you want.

Please stop comparing this to race and the civil rights movement. Doing so lessens the hardships black americans endured for generations. the "plight' of the homosexual is nowhere near what it was for a black person growing up in certain areas of this country before the 1960's.

I realize it's cool to be PC, but it's also cool to think about the issues and form an opinion on your own.
  • SCR56
    SCR56 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Besides, It isn't like they can cross the boarder, or move to another state for a short time, to be able to be married. Then move back. I don't think they can remove the certificate even if the law bans the marriage it self.
    Their marriage would not be valid in North Carolina.

Exactly, even if they were married in another state, they couldn't share benifits or file taxes together.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    This absolutely makes me sick to my stomach that it passed, but I was wondering what you all thought about it... Feel free to weigh in.

Personally, I don't care... no offence.

I am not for it, but I am not going to condemn someone for what they do in their spare time, nor who they love.

Actually they can. If NC doesn't recognize gay marriage, then a marriage in another state will not be recognized either.

This wasn't just a gay marriage amendment. It was so much more. The wording said partnerships between a man and a woman are the only ones that will be recognized. That can be far reaching and can apply to business partnerships, too. The only reason it was voted in was because it was being pushed as the gay marriage amendment and that was what those people for voted for it were voting for.

Ignorance at it's best.

Um. I'd like to introduce you to a phrase called "Comity"...and I highly doubt that this would affect business partnerships whatsoever. Hetero unions that aren't marriage were affected by the act.

anywyas,
    I think its appalling. And it will eventually be found to be unconstitutional just like NC's old ban on interracial marriage.
  • Jones4177
    Jones4177 Posts: 136
    Options

Hit it on the nail!!
This discussion has been closed.