Alternative to chips?

Options

Replies

• kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Fat Free Pringles (70 calories/15 chips!), flavored rice cakes, or bake your own tortilla chips. I use Mission Extra Thin 6" Corn Tortillas, cut them into pieces, put them on a sprayed cookie sheet, spray the tortillas with spray butter, sprinkle with salt (or any other spice) and bake them @ 310 for 20 minutes. YUMMO

These all help the crunchy, salty cravings and keep you satisfied.
  • getfitbesexy
    Options
    Pop Chips, Sun Chips has a new natural and multigrain line that's good, baked chips, Kale Chips, Veggie Chips... lot's of healthy alternative options out there. Most grocery stores have a section dedicated to healthier snack choices :)

Stay away from the "100 calorie" pack stuff. Those have more fat and are filled with stuff that's just not healthy!! :)
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    Walmart sells smart chips.. they are straw shaped chips I normally get the veggie or the barbeque they are yummy and half the cals.carbs as noraml chips.. they arent in the chip isle they are with the snack stuff I always find them by the quacker rice cakes and such.. :-)

I love to make apple chips also for my son.. just cut up apple into slices and bake them at 350 for about 10-15 minutes depending how crispy you like them.. for a little treat I top them with cinnamon before baking :-)
  • leahmolidor
    leahmolidor Posts: 17
    Options
    I use Goldfish crackers as my chip replacement. You can have 55 Goldfish for 140 calories and it feels like you are getting a lot of crackers. 55 can go a long way with a sandwich or a bowl of soup.
  • JessicaCBranch
    JessicaCBranch Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    pork rinds. still get the crunch...no carbs.
  • jfl613
    jfl613 Posts: 71
    Options
    Special K cracker crisps 110 calories for 30 chips.

And the Sour Cream & Onion are FANTASTIC at 110 cals for 27 chips. I don't feel deprived at all!! :-)
  • coconutflower
    Options
    You can slice vegetables and bake them into chips with sprinkled seasoning. For example I make kale chips and green squash chips! Google it :)
  • cspong
    cspong Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I get veggie straws from Costco, totally a great alternative!
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    Fat Free Pringles (70 calories/15 chips!), flavored rice cakes, or bake your own tortilla chips. I use Mission Extra Thin 6" Corn Tortillas, cut them into pieces, put them on a sprayed cookie sheet, spray the tortillas with spray butter, sprinkle with salt (or any other spice) and bake them @ 310 for 20 minutes. YUMMO

These all help the crunchy, salty cravings and keep you satisfied.

Oh yes!! I also love making my own tortilla chips just get a stack of corn tortillas cut them into triangles (i normally cut it like i would a pizza so the come out with the same shape as regular chips lol) and bake.. yummy and alot healthier than the store bought
  • valerie521
    valerie521 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Kale chips... There are some awesome recipes on line (you just have too look around)

They are amazing and sooooo good for you !! You can make easy

Here is a site for all different types !!!

http://kaleeffect.com/kale-cookbook-2/kale-recipes-kale-chips/
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Get a chipster from Epicure!!!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    Kale Chips-look online for easy recipes.
  • 2FattyXFatty4
    2FattyXFatty4 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I typically have a sandwhich and chips - well usually cheeto's or frito's because that's what I have in the house for the kids. Now that I'm trying to eat healthier I need an alternative. I'm not huge on salads, I'll eat them but I don't necessarily like how they taste if I make them the night before and I don't have a lot of time in the morning to put stuff together. I also can't seem to make myself eat raw veggies either.

Roasted chick peas, flavored any way you like.
  • RobynDCrossman
    Options
    salted roasted almonds or other nuts.

I had to just break the addiction altogether. If you NEED something crunchy, the above mentioned things are all good choices. I enjoyed the veggie chips, but they fueled my need for chips. But, that's just *me*.
  • JLove2Zumba
    JLove2Zumba Posts: 54
    Options
    Special K cracker crisps 110 calories for 30 chips.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Trader joes has veggie chips that are VERY tasty... $1.99 per bag and then i put the correct serving sizes in baggies so they are easy to grab and go

^^^^ Agreed!!! Sometimes I'll get the baked cheese poofs too (35 poofs for 130 cals = not great but waaay better than cheetos!) but sometimes I have a hard time sticking to one serving- the veggie chips/straws are really good too but I'm less likely to binge on them so I'd recommend those more highly. Pretzels (regular or honey-wheat) aren't as bad as chips either- less fat (sometimes no fat) and you still get the salty-crunchy- I particularly like the small bags of bavarian pretzels- since they're bigger, they take longer to eat so I'm more likely to stick to the serving size.
  • caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots & hummus is my go to side with a sandwich. Or pretzels. I recently found a recipe on pinterest for squash & zucchini chips where you slice them thin, season and bake. I haven't tried yet but plan to make some this weekend. Im sure you can google and find a similar recipe.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    100 calorie packs of Smartfood popcorn. - That is my fav!

and also Special K Cracker Chips Salsa Ranch flavor... Yumm
  • JLove2Zumba
    JLove2Zumba Posts: 54
    Options
    I agree with the special K cracker crisps.. Taste almost similar to Munchos if you have ever had them, But they come in plain, sour cream and onion, chedder and ranch, I have had them all and they all rock, and You get a nice serving size of them for 110 cals
  • LaviMc
    LaviMc Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I like pita chips, pretzels, pop chips or popcorner chips (which are like pop chips).