NO! This is a squat rack!

Options
12346»

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    When you "deadlift" it are you starting from the safety catch/side rails? Because that's not really a deadlift then. Deadlifts start from the equivalent of a 45lb. plate from the floor. In other words, the bar itself should be about 22.5cm off the floor I believe (assuming the typical 45 is 45cm in diameter.
    no, i take several steps back before i begin the exercise.
    Holy mother of jesus I would break my shins if I tried that.

*clonk**clonk**clonk*
    erm - i'm standing upright when i take the steps back. you know, so the bar is waist high.
    :huh:
  • Lost_Mermaid
    Lost_Mermaid Posts: 136
    Options
    40120.jpg
    oh crap. i've been dead lifting with this thing ^^ because A) that's where the trainer showed me how to do it and B) i've seen a lot of muscly guys DLing there too so i figured it was ok :ohwell:

but i think my main reason for DLing there is probably a bad reason... when my i start to lose my grip i'd rather put the bar back up on the holder when i rest, before i try another set. because when i dead lift i guess i don't bring the bar ALL the way to the ground, it almost touches but just barely. whenever i try to lift it from the ground i just have these visions of my spine snapping in two or something, it just feels like such an awkward maneuver. i guess if i keep the momentum going, and don't let the bar touch the ground completely, it's a little less dangerous feeling.... i'm assuming i'm doing it wrong? do i need to be setting the bar completely on the ground before i lift it up again?

regarding the visions of spine snapping...how is your form? my first deadlift was only a couple months ago and it's still a little awkward, but im wondering if you might be rounding your back and thats why you feel like that?
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    When you "deadlift" it are you starting from the safety catch/side rails? Because that's not really a deadlift then. Deadlifts start from the equivalent of a 45lb. plate from the floor. In other words, the bar itself should be about 22.5cm off the floor I believe (assuming the typical 45 is 45cm in diameter.

When you start the exercise, where is it starting from? Is it starting from the top like this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnBREGM7pE0
    If so, that's called a Romanian Deadlift.
    yes that's exactly what it looks like. so i haven't been doing it wrong this whole time??? i've just been doing it the Romanian way? :P
  • Shfiftyfive
    Shfiftyfive Posts: 261
    Options

When you start the exercise, where is it starting from? Is it starting from the top like this?
    yes that's exactly what it looks like. so i haven't been doing it wrong this whole time??? i've just been doing it the Romanian way? :P

There's a whole backstory about a Romanian powerlifter which is where the exercise got its name from, but I forget it. lol
    It's a different exercise entirely, but definitely not a bad one.
    How low is bar going when you do it anyways? You basically want to go low enough that you're getting a good pull on the hamstrings (usually a few inches below the knee or maybe more), but not so low that you lose your lower back control.
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    40120.jpg
    oh crap. i've been dead lifting with this thing ^^ because A) that's where the trainer showed me how to do it and B) i've seen a lot of muscly guys DLing there too so i figured it was ok :ohwell:

but i think my main reason for DLing there is probably a bad reason... when my i start to lose my grip i'd rather put the bar back up on the holder when i rest, before i try another set. because when i dead lift i guess i don't bring the bar ALL the way to the ground, it almost touches but just barely. whenever i try to lift it from the ground i just have these visions of my spine snapping in two or something, it just feels like such an awkward maneuver. i guess if i keep the momentum going, and don't let the bar touch the ground completely, it's a little less dangerous feeling.... i'm assuming i'm doing it wrong? do i need to be setting the bar completely on the ground before i lift it up again?

regarding the visions of spine snapping...how is your form? my first deadlift was only a couple months ago and it's still a little awkward, but im wondering if you might be rounding your back and thats why you feel like that?
    according to the trainers at my gym (who may or may not know what they're talking about) my form is fine, ie my back is flat. i guess i just feel so much more pressure on my lower back starting the lift from the ground. it's scary :frown:
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I saw deadlifts again today. Priceless.

What if I have to do deadlifts in the squat rack because I've hooked up my own contraption with bands to add tension to certain parts of the deadlift? :P
  • Shfiftyfive
    Options

What if I have to do deadlifts in the squat rack because I've hooked up my own contraption with bands to add tension to certain parts of the deadlift? :P

Then you're a bamf clearly.
  • carolynmittens
    Options

There's a whole backstory about a Romanian powerlifter which is where the exercise got its name from, but I forget it. lol
    It's a different exercise entirely, but definitely not a bad one.
    How low is bar going when you do it anyways? You basically want to go low enough that you're getting a good pull on the hamstrings (usually a few inches below the knee or maybe more), but not so low that you lose your lower back control.
    i lower the bar to my ankles. every once in a while i'll (gracefully) drop it all the way onto the ground, because my grip sucks!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

That's fine, carry on. Just don't let the reason you're in the squat rack be because you're stupid, selfish or just lazy.
  • Shfiftyfive
    Options
    i lower the bar to my ankles. every once in a while i'll (gracefully) drop it all the way onto the ground, because my grip sucks!

Well ****. It sounds like you've got it down. As far as back tension with Deadlifts from the floor; it is technically a lower back exercise at that point so you will feel sore in your back, but you need to make sure your lower back is contracted and tight like you say it is in the RDLs (Romanian Deadlifts).
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    On the floor maybe?
    With what? Are we supposed to steal a bar from the bench press? Then I piss off people who want to bench.
    Like I said, for a lot of folks it's the limited number of olympic bars that's the issue.

This is the state of affairs at my work gym. We have a power cage, a smith, and (1 of each) flat bench/incline/decline. I usually squat in either the cage or the smith (depending on which one is occupied when I get down there), bench on the flat bench, and steal a bar from the incline or decline because they don't get used much to do my deads on the floor.

It's a pain in the *kitten*, but I load up the bar while it's on the floor. Mainly a pain to unload as I'm tired as !@#$ after my sets.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I belonged to Anytime Fitness for a while, and one of the locations i went to only had one Cage, and it was the only place in the gym you could squat, bench, military press, etc...........there were no free standing benches in the place, had to pull one in the cage.............lame

Exactly. Only one barbell and rack. It's awesome. :ohwell:
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    This is why I work out at home. The power rack is actually great for deadlifts if you are doing them off the safety bars or something, same thing with a bench. Obviously you wouldn't call these full lifts but they do have a place. Bands and reverse bands can be easily used in a power rack as well, but I doubt that is the case for most commercial gym users.
  • colorfulcupcakes
    colorfulcupcakes Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I should not have read this thread...now i'm even more terrified to go to the gym for the first time on friday. i was afraid of being laughed at and made fun of for not knowing what im doing, but pissing people for not knowing the 'right way' to do things is even worse

Don't be scared! Here's what I did to get used to things: while doing something I knew (like bicep curls on the machine) I'd look over at some unfamiliar corner of the free weight area and see what equipment was available, and where people were using it. Then I'd go home and look at videos, pick a new exercise, and I'd put a screenshot onto my ipod. Then when I went back, my goal was to just try that one new thing along with my usual routine. It would take a few moments for "my eyes to adjust" to the area, as in "Oh, that's where they put the attachments, ok, that's how you adjust the height) and I'd do it with very light weights, maybe even just the bar alone, going through the motions just to figure it out, but then after that I could add weight and just go and do it easily. It didn't take long for me to infiltrate all those dudely areas of benches, racks, and freeweights!

Have fun on friday!