black ladies in here

Options

Replies

• GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Weird. It's back.
    Might try re-reading the entire article because she also said this...

"I call on every black woman for whom it is appropriate to commit to getting under 200 pounds or to losing the 10 percent of our body weight that often results in a 50 percent reduction in diabetes risk. Sleeping better may be key, as recent research suggests that lack of sleep is a little-acknowledged culprit in obesity. But it is not just sleep, exercise and healthy foods we need to solve this problem — we also need wisdom."
    it doesn't excuse the ridiculous statement about avoiding the image of a fit slave. Sounds like she is only advocating getting a little more fit, but not "too fit".
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Well, I quoted the biggest piece of **** from this article, and it was deleted. Nice. I invite everyone to read the article and see the **** she wrote in there about why black women should avoid looking fit.

what was deleted ? i feel everyone should have input no matter what stupid moderators

did you not learn anything from yesterdays posts?

lol i can barely spell dont expect me to learn
  • ShaSimone
    ShaSimone Posts: 276
    Options
    Weird. It's back.

"I call on every black woman for whom it is appropriate to commit to getting under 200 pounds or to losing the 10 percent of our body weight that often results in a 50 percent reduction in diabetes risk. Sleeping better may be key, as recent research suggests that lack of sleep is a little-acknowledged culprit in obesity. But it is not just sleep, exercise and healthy foods we need to solve this problem — we also need wisdom."
    it doesn't excuse the ridiculous statement about avoiding the image of a fit slave. Sounds like she is only advocating getting a little more fit, but not "too fit".

If you read the entire paragraph you would recognize she is quoting a book, take exception to that author not the author of the article in question. Don't quote a piece of the sentence and leave the rest out, English 101.

"And it’s not only aesthetics that make black fat different. It’s politics too. To get a quick introduction to the politics of black fat, I recommend Andrea Elizabeth Shaw’s provocative book “The Embodiment of Disobedience: Fat Black Women’s Unruly Political Bodies.” Ms. Shaw argues that the fat black woman’s body “functions as a site of resistance to both gendered and racialized oppression.” By contextualizing fatness within the African diaspora, she invites us to notice that the fat black woman can be a rounded opposite of the fit black slave, that the fatness of black women has often functioned as both explicit political statement and active political resistance."
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's just black males who feel that way... I see plenty of white men who are with curvy, shapey woman. I'm Mexican and I have a curvey shape and I have big thighs and butt and chest... My fiance tells me to not get to skinny becuase he likes his woman with a little meat.... But that doesn't mean I don't workout or live a healthy lifestyle. I think it's just personal preference?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Weird. It's back.

If you read the entire paragraph you would recognize she is quoting a book, take exception to that author not the author of the article in question. Don't quote a piece of the sentence and leave the rest out, English 101.

"And it’s not only aesthetics that make black fat different. It’s politics too. To get a quick introduction to the politics of black fat, I recommend Andrea Elizabeth Shaw’s provocative book “The Embodiment of Disobedience: Fat Black Women’s Unruly Political Bodies.” Ms. Shaw argues that the fat black woman’s body “functions as a site of resistance to both gendered and racialized oppression.” By contextualizing fatness within the African diaspora, she invites us to notice that the fat black woman can be a rounded opposite of the fit black slave, that the fatness of black women has often functioned as both explicit political statement and active political resistance."
    And the fact that the author decided to include these statements in the article and is in fact recommending the book doesn't mean anything to you?
  • Typhanee83
    Typhanee83 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Well, I quoted the biggest piece of **** from this article, and it was deleted. Nice. I invite everyone to read the article and see the **** she wrote in there about why black women should avoid looking fit.

what was deleted ? i feel everyone should have input no matter what stupid moderators

did you not learn anything from yesterdays posts?

lol i can barely spell dont expect me to learn

^ True.

Also, just my 2 cents. I kind of have a ghetto-ish @ss, and I periodically get hit on by the dark gentleman folk. But some light gentleman folk also like a booty. I think it's just personal preference. Some women are curvy AND fit, all at the same time.
  • george29223
    Options
    false
  • renwicker
    renwicker Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Half of this entire thread is soooo borderline racist. I'm very impressed this has not blown up into something completely terrible. However, I will continue to refresh the feed, reading, and patiently waiting for someone to flip!
  • BigRedgw2010
    BigRedgw2010 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    WOW!!
    I am more on the health size vice the numbers. If a woman is health at 105 pounds and is fit then I am ok, and I am also ok if she is health at 175 pounds and fit. When I say fit, I mean no excessive body fat in abs area, back of the legs or back and shoulders.
    But I guess it all depends on the person.
  • 010Elle010
    010Elle010 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    80590839.jpg

LMAO, I do think this entire post is ridiculous
  • george29223
    Options
    lol heres what i feel is funny i got black guy and girl friends and when we get togather i bet 70% of what we say back and forth would sound racist to others but its just friends talking nothing more its the fact the media plays races against each other and both whites and blacks are so scared they will offend they dont really get to relax around each other and not take stuff so litteral
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    Weird. It's back.

I understand, thanks. Does does nothing to dispute the statement, though.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    lol heres what i feel is funny i got black guy and girl friends and when we get togather i bet 70% of what we say back and forth would sound racist to others but its just friends talking nothing more its the fact the media plays races against each other and both whites and blacks are so scared they will offend they dont really get to relax around each other and not take stuff so litteral

You know for someone that can't spell very well, you do seem to make some good points. Underlying intelligence has been wasted, I think.
  • BlessedandBeautifulBrown
    Options
    bump
  • 010Elle010
    010Elle010 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I agree with talking about race, gender, body image and many other topics in a open and true forum. As long as one is not being malicious and nasty in their comments, then it's all good. If someone makes an inappropriate comment, this is the forum for it to be corrected.

So here is my two cents, people of all difference races are attracted to different things. Black men are bombarded with curvy women as the ideal women from birth, typically by family first, then magazines, videos etc...White men are bombarded with a different image, slim, non-curvy, and big breast so they therefore go after those type of women....so yes, you have a lot who go directly with what they learned overtime, but I do believe you have just as many who go against the grain and go with what they want and not what they are told to want...

As for me, men of all races love me :o) But I must say, when it comes to white men, I typically only get hit on by Italians, Russians and Eastern European men...as for as white american men, none of them have ever approached me
  • george29223
    Options

You know for someone that can't spell very well, you do seem to make some good points. Underlying intelligence has been wasted, I think.

lol yeah i spent my youth sculpting my stunning body not schooling ......i stand by my choice lolll
  • JenniferH81
    JenniferH81 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I've never been approached by a white guy other than my husband, and if I recall back that far, I chased him. :blushing:
    However I do get hit on by black men often.

I never thought much about it.
  • trejon
    trejon Posts: 203
    Options
    I live deep in the South and this is where my roots lie. You are on to a little something here but it was not just from black men. I got down to my goal weight 38 pounds ago. I thought that I looked awesome, was feeling good about myself and felt sexy as hell. From my non-black co-workers I got great affirmations and so much positive encouragement over the new me. However when it came to my family, they gave me to blues and told me that I looked sick, called me names and was always on me to eat. My husband at the time attacked my reasoning for wanting to lose weight, mocked me for measuring my foods and did little encouraging.

My black experience with weight loss agrees with you (somewhat).
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    as for as white american men, none of them have ever approached me
    Until now. Hi there...