Are you anger driven in your workouts?

Options
Who finds inspiration to workout in anger? I was jogging with a friend a few weeks back and she had to stop and was in a crappy mood and I was saying "find a good song, think of something that pisses you off, and just go." and she said she wasn't "anger driven" which I found very weird. Maybe I'm just a lot angrier of a person than I thought, but I use it quite a lot, especially with any type of cardio, to tap into whatever energy I have and push myself. (I still have trouble doing it with lifting since it's more technical of exercise).

So does anyone else do this? Is it more of a guy thing?

Replies

• Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Not intentionally. Being angry sure does push my workout along but I never seek to tick myself off in order to go further.... perhaps I should reconsider. Hmm
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Eh, so so. If I'm genuinely angry, I find the anger is more of a distraction. However, I love loud angry music while lifting :D
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    there's not much, actually nothing, in my life that i'm angry about, so probably not. i believe in working those type issues out in such a way the situation gets resolved, not let it fester so i think about it during my free time

anger has never been an efficient motivator for me. it usually ends up backfiring
  • rcc1988
    rcc1988 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Not me. I think if I was angry during a workout I probably wouldn't be able to do it to my fullest.
  • lissypriss
    lissypriss Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I use "anger" when I lift heavy....that, and play tons of heavy metal songs. Makes me feel that I can bench an 18-wheeler!:devil:
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I love listening to loud, angry music when I workout....it get's me going.
  • arojas1227
    arojas1227 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It depends on what I'm doing. Like with zumba, no. But I love when I'm running and Burn by Papa Roach comes on my playlist. :)
    It can really push me.
  • annahiven
    annahiven Posts: 185
    Options
    Yes, absolutely! When I am pissed off, it makes me work out so much harder and at the end of it, I feel much better. It is definitely a way to get rid of frustration in a way that is good for me. Much better than throwing plates or binge eating!
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Definitely helps me push myself harder. :)
  • Alicia_Monique
    Alicia_Monique Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Sometimes. If I'm thinking about somebody who's burned me I usually imagine their face is between my foot and the pavement. Makes it a little more worthwhile.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    I love listening to loud, angry music when I workout....it get's me going.

Rawr...me too.
  • lillebanon
    lillebanon Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    When I get angry, I go into super-house-cleaning-mode, which is usually quite a workout. Does that count?
  • sarapeek
    sarapeek Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think I understand this, but I only do it in short bursts -- I may speed up my run in response to an angry thought, or if something I'm ashamed of comes to mind. But it's the exercise equivalent of slamming a fist on the table, just a short burst.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    sometimes.
  • Shfiftyfive
    Shfiftyfive Posts: 261
    Options
    Running/sprinting seems to have this applied for me mostly. Some cardio machines I guess too.
  • Stasha17
    Stasha17 Posts: 28
    Options
    I am a anger driven workout person. Every time I feel myself giving up, I can hear someone call me a FAT B!t@h. Excuse my language but, seriously that has always been what someone would call me in arguments. So now I use it as motivation. Wierd I know but it works.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    LOL I am usually angry at myself and pissed I am still so fat. It pushes me.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I find that I do better when I'm listening to angry music. Sometimes songs about killing people. But, like somebody else on here said, I'm a pretty p!ssy person, so it may not help me as much.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    When I cannot keep up with a workout, I get frustrated and become angry driven to do the workout best as possible. There are times that I am so frustrated that I am moving and my heart rate is up, but I am doing the workout wrong even though I am trying.:grumble:
  • HarleyQuinn_12
    HarleyQuinn_12 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    When I do kickboxking or any punching at the bag, then yes...I get some anger or think of people who genuinely piss me off or make me want to well....punch them.