Are you anger driven in your workouts?

Options

Replies

• AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Not anger driven as much as stress driven, if I've had a day from hell I take out the built up frustration by pushing harder in my workout. I use my workout as my release for any built up emotion that's bothering me.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    These days I'm not very angry as there isn't much to anger me. But when I was working I would definitely take out my frustrations on the punching bag during boxing. But now it's just pure dedication of wanting to get to my goal.
  • samcee
    samcee Posts: 307
    Options
    I am so guilty of this! This is why I am always fitter and look better after a relationship break up. I jog out my anger until I exhaust myself. This is better than sitting at home on the couch mulling over thoughts and letting my emotions eat me up.
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I tend u run faster when I am angry. I guess it is because I focus on the issue and not my running- but I also tend to run faster when I am sore- So I guess it is really when I can zone out. hum.

... that being said I am sore more than angry so I guess I don't have a fair comparison.
  • CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    Options
    Sometimes. If I'm thinking about somebody who's burned me I usually imagine their face is between my foot and the pavement. Makes it a little more worthwhile.

:mad: :explode: :mad: :explode:

Me too! I find anger very motivating and running has saved me from lots of marital conflict. Leave for my run mad, come back feeling great.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i keep saying i should..i would be thin in no time, since i am pissed off almost all the time:wink: , but i cant actually seem to want to work out when im mad
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Sometimes.

Was working out with PT last week doing a superset of burpees, lunges and leg raises. At the end of the 1st set PT said I was doing well as there was still a lot of resistence in my leg raises, and was a little surprised when I told him that that was because I was trying to kick him in the face.

Generally I am a very laid back person, but sometimes after a stressful day at work the anger can really push me to work hard and it is always gone by the end of my work out.
  • AlexanderK1994
    AlexanderK1994 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    When I dance outside in the middle of the night (literally) there's no stopping me from getting out all those emotions, anger included. So I guess it's not really only a guy's thing :)
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Hmm. Not so much. Maybe I should try channeling some of the frustration I feel at work. Thoughts of chasing down a particular person, while wielding a large club, might help me. :laugh:
  • singledadinva
    Options
    I tend to listen to music that may be considered angry. I hate when a slow song comes on, I feel the drive to push myself leave. I myself do not get angry, I think I may get careless and hurt myself or worse someone else. Anger makes me think I'm invincible...lol.
  • Jewel0124
    Jewel0124 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've been job hunting for three years and most of my workouts are fueled by my frustration at job hunting and rejection. I also find it a really good way to fight depression and moodiness. I find that I feel 110% better after even a small workout.
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I very much am. But a major exception is when I'm with other people. I get TOO angry to work out with other people sometimes, so maybe that's how it is for your friend. Exercising with other people, especially if I'm already angry, is too much like bonding . . . I can't focus on myself enough when others are present to really let the anger drive me.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    nope not really but i dont use work outs to deal with anger either when im at that point i go cut the side of hill we call my dads back yard
  • anggxo
    anggxo Posts: 102
    Options
    I wouldn't say I'm angry, but when I'm trying to really go ham I listen to super hard rap to get me pumped. Pop and house music is more for running and lighter kinds of cardio. :)
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I can't run when I'm angry. I get too stressed out and worked up.

Mostly I run when I'm tired or sad. These emotions I can channel into a run.

I suppose it all depends on what effect these emotions has on a person? I've spent all my life stopping my anger from being physical so I just can't channel it into physical things?
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I'm going through a divorce. I took up boxing.

Do the math.

:laugh:
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    They are sometimes. But mostly I just enjoy heavy music while I lift.
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Some of the best workouts that I've had have been when I was really angry about something....
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Boxing workouts are awesome when you're angry.
  • xxbookwormbabexx
    xxbookwormbabexx Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    YES.
    It helps me let go of whatever is going on!
    Exercise has worked more magic for me than a year's worth of therapy.