"Ideal" Body

Options

Replies

• qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Your ideal body is just that... YOURS. Other people's opinion and ideal shouldn't matter. Because this is a fitness site, people tend to be geared toward a certain level of fitness.
  • Karrie262
    Karrie262 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    When I was at my ideal body type (not too thin, good curves, enough cushion) I would do a decent amount of cardio (I am a long distance runner) and complement it with low weight/high repetition lifting. This gave me a healthy definition without looking bulky. I've talked with physical trainers and this is a good combination for getting to where you seem to want to be. Hope this helps!
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm shooting for a size 12.. which more than likely will not find me with a six pack. I appreciate curves too and while I admire super muscular women, I don't necessarily want to be one. However, I have a sneaking suspicion this is changing.

The more I am on here, the more I am intrigued by lifting. Basically I like to get things done fast and efficiently and it seems that weights are probably the best way to do this (like 30 DS too by the way). And even more than a weight or size.. now I kind of want to see what my body can actually do!

I'm now looking at this as a fitness experiment (or new lifestyle choice) more than anything.. and seeing how I can grow and change both physically and mentally in opening up my mind to new possibilities for myself.

And talk about seriously boring - have you done long sessions of cardio? :wink:

Good luck in finding new ways to challenge yourself on your terms!
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add my 2cents:

Firstly, listen to Jennie, lifting weights is like body weight exercises, but better. Better in that it wall take you to the exact same body shape as you would be able to acheive with body weight exercises - only quicker!

You can have a very muscular body, but no-one will know if you keep a layer of body fat over the top. Let me illustrate with a couple of pics below. The first is Jamie at competition weight (and colour :tongue: ):
    15784_JamieEasonNPCJrN200608.jpg

This one is Jamie in the 'off-season':
    mohr137msm.jpg

You would hardly recognise her as the same person, but it is - and with exactly the same amount of muscle underneath!!

So bottom line is don't be afraid of lifting weights. If you CHOOSE not to do weight training that's completely your choice, but please don't dismiss it without understanding it properly :flowerforyou: - including the other health benefits it can have such as preserving or increasing bone density, reducing the risk of osteoperosis, and making you stringer for every day activities.

Just have a good think about it before you dismiss weight training.

Cheers,

Ray
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I don't have the "athletic" looking goal either and I do lift heavy weights with minimal to no cardio. As others have mentioned, keeping a higher body fat will accomplish that "soft" look that many (some?) of us want. You won't get super fitness model-ish overnight. It takes a long time and you'll be able to see your progress everyday in order to know when you want to start maintaining your current look.

Also, be aware that as you get closer to goal, your goals may change. When I first started last year, I only wanted to lose 60 pounds. About 40 pounds in, I wanted a flat stomach (still not interested in a 6 pack), another 10 and I'm aiming for a muscular back, etc. Just letting you know, that you may change your mind in the future. :-)
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options

Firstly, listen to Jennie, lifting weights is like body weight exercises, but better. Better in that it wall take you to the exact same body shape as you would be able to acheive with body weight exercises - only quicker!

You can have a very muscular body, but no-one will know if you keep a layer of body fat over the top. Let me illustrate with a couple of pics below. The first is Jamie at competition weight (and colour :tongue: ):

mohr137msm.jpg

You would hardly recognise her as the same person, but it is - and with exactly the same amount of muscle underneath!!

So bottom line is don't be afraid of lifting weights. If you CHOOSE not to do weight training that's completely your choice, but please don't dismiss it without understanding it properly :flowerforyou: - including the other health benefits it can have such as preserving or increasing bone density, reducing the risk of osteoperosis, and making you stringer for every day activities.

Cheers,

Ray

Ok, that's kind of what I was wanting to know lol. Thanks!!

I'm not necessarily dismissing lifting weights because I think it's going to give me a freaky (no offense intended lol) body. Like I said...I'm just not into it, at least right now. I do very much appreciate all of the replies and how nice y'all have been about it :flowerforyou:
  • abberbabber
    Options
    Personally I'm shooting for a size 12.. which more than likely will not find me with a six pack. I appreciate curves too and while I admire super muscular women, I don't necessarily want to be one. However, I have a sneaking suspicion this is changing.

The more I am on here, the more I am intrigued by lifting. Basically I like to get things done fast and efficiently and it seems that weights are probably the best way to do this (like 30 DS too by the way). And even more than a weight or size.. now I kind of want to see what my body can actually do!

I'm now looking at this as a fitness experiment (or new lifestyle choice) more than anything.. and seeing how I can grow and change both physically and mentally in opening up my mind to new possibilities for myself.

And talk about seriously boring - have you done long sessions of cardio? :wink:

Good luck in finding new ways to challenge yourself on your terms!

A size 12 has pretty much been my goal all along, too :smile:

I don't really do long sessions of cardio, mostly because there's nothing that doesn't bore me LOL. I'll have access to a "private" pool over the summer though, so that will probably change. I can swim for hours without getting bored :bigsmile:

I am enjoying the 30 DS, so I'll keep doing that for a bit then find something "new" I guess if I get bored with that and/or it stops working.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

mohr137msm.jpg

Cheers,

Ray

Amen brother.

It's so hard to get this point across sometimes...and it's not the fault so much of the people (like the OP) that you're trying to make the point to...as it is the fault of simple overwhelming misinformation.

To clarify, as Jennie, and Rayman said...lifting heavy won't make you look like a cut and ripped bodybuilder. It'll build shape and strength and 'tone' (Lord I hate that word)...but it will NOT lower your bodyfat to a level where you will be able to see that kind of visible muscle.

That is ALL diet.
  • abberbabber
    Options
    I don't have the "athletic" looking goal either and I do lift heavy weights with minimal to no cardio. As others have mentioned, keeping a higher body fat will accomplish that "soft" look that many (some?) of us want. You won't get super fitness model-ish overnight. It takes a long time and you'll be able to see your progress everyday in order to know when you want to start maintaining your current look.

Also, be aware that as you get closer to goal, your goals may change. When I first started last year, I only wanted to lose 60 pounds. About 40 pounds in, I wanted a flat stomach (still not interested in a 6 pack), another 10 and I'm aiming for a muscular back, etc. Just letting you know, that you may change your mind in the future. :-)

Right, I get that I won't just wake up one morning looking crazy ripped :laugh: And I'm cool with it if my goals do change, I was just wanting to know if there's a decent middle ground between "thin and flabby looking" and super-duper well defined. And since it seems like that does realistically exist...I'm much less confused now :bigsmile:
  • abberbabber
    Options

mohr137msm.jpg

Cheers,

Ray

Amen brother.

It's so hard to get this point across sometimes...and it's not the fault so much of the people (like the OP) that you're trying to make the point to...as it is the fault of simple overwhelming misinformation.

To clarify, as Jennie, and Rayman said...lifting heavy won't make you look like a cut and ripped bodybuilder. It'll build shape and strength and 'tone' (Lord I hate that word)...but it will NOT lower your bodyfat to a level where you will be able to see that kind of visible muscle.

That is ALL diet.

Ok...so, if I hit a point where I'm happy with how I look, I should keep up the same exercise regimen and bump up my calories to a level where I'm (theoretically) not losing any more fat but not gaining any either? Which is what I assume people are talking about when they talk about maintenance.

It makes sense, the way you put it. Thanks!
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Ok...so, if I hit a point where I'm happy with how I look, I should keep up the same exercise regimen and bump up my calories to a level where I'm (theoretically) not losing any more fat but not gaining any either? Which is what I assume people are talking about when they talk about maintenance.

Yes...but realize, if you use plain cardio type exercises to get to your desired weight, the majority of the weight you'll be losing, WILL be muscle. That's what the strength training is for (and I don't mean Chaleen Extreme, either). It tells your body to maintain the muscle you have, because it's necessary for the kind of work you're doing (picking heavy things up, and putting them down). It's all a mess of hormonal response etc that would bore you...but my point is that without that strength training, you'll still be soft and squishy and overall very likely still feel like you're overweight, even though you fit the size you wanted initially.

Search 'women heavy lifting' in the forums...and you'll find a LOT of threads about women who did TONS of cardio, and lost the weight...but still were unhappy. TWO weeks of strength training made visibly measurable changes in their body composition...and two to three months, did what sometimes years of cardio was incapable of.

We're not telling you to lift because we all love ripped and built women (I personally don't...really), we're telling you to lift because it's the yellow brick road (assuming a healthy diet) to healthy, reasonable body fat levels, and a firm, strong body underneath.

Let me show you a few pictures of myself...so you can see the kind of results heavy strength training can give:

7434194_2240.jpg7434194_1237.jpg

7434194_8492.jpg7434194_7770.jpg

That's THREE months of strength training, NO cardio (other than occasional Tabata format heavy bag work), and a healthy protein rich diet. As you can see I'm not ripped to shreds with stupid amounts of muscle everywhere (other than what I naturally have as a man).

This is what you're looking for correct?
  • abberbabber
    Options
    So now it seems really obvious, the whole "just keep a layer of fat over your muscles and you'll be fine" idea, but it didn't seem obvious when I posted this topic :blushing:
  • abberbabber
    Options

Yes...but realize, if you use plain cardio type exercises to get to your desired weight, the majority of the weight you'll be losing, WILL be muscle. That's what the strength training is for (and I don't mean Chaleen Extreme, either). It tells your body to maintain the muscle you have, because it's necessary for the kind of work you're doing (picking heavy things up, and putting them down). It's all a mess of hormonal response etc that would bore you...but my point is that without that strength training, you'll still be soft and squishy and overall very likely still feel like you're overweight, even though you fit the size you wanted initially.

Search 'women heavy lifting' in the forums...and you'll find a LOT of threads about women who did TONS of cardio, and lost the weight...but still were unhappy. TWO weeks of strength training made visibly measurable changes in their body composition...and two to three months, did what sometimes years of cardio was incapable of.

We're not telling you to lift because we all love ripped and built women (I personally don't...really), we're telling you to lift because it's the yellow brick road (assuming a healthy diet) to healthy, reasonable body fat levels, and a firm, strong body underneath.

Let me show you a few pictures of myself...so you can see the kind of results heavy strength training can give:

7434194_2240.jpg7434194_1237.jpg

7434194_8492.jpg7434194_7770.jpg

That's THREE months of strength training, NO cardio (other than occasional Tabata format heavy bag work), and a healthy protein rich diet. As you can see I'm not ripped to shreds with stupid amounts of muscle everywhere (other than what I naturally have as a man).

This is what you're looking for correct?

Sort of the male version of what I'm talking about I guess, lol.

I never really had any intention of doing strictly cardio, because I do understand the need to build at least some kind of muscle. This was more about wondering how to not cross that line between "Hey, I don't look flabby anymore! I look pretty and feminine" and "I have a six pack! Holy crap!" lol.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    So now it seems really obvious, the whole "just keep a layer of fat over your muscles and you'll be fine" idea, but it didn't seem obvious when I posted this topic :blushing:

That's ok! That's what we're here for!

I wish there was a way to make people understand...that lifting, isn't going to make you look 'manly'. YES...some of the girls who lift do (and I don't just mean body builders), but that's because they've made a conscious choice to go that far. YOU are the one that controls that hun. If you saw some of those women (like Jamie Eason that Ray quoted) while they were 'in progress'....you'd die of envy lol.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    I never really had any intention of doing strictly cardio, because I do understand the need to build at least some kind of muscle. This was more about wondering how to not cross that line between "Hey, I don't look flabby anymore! I look pretty and feminine" and "I have a six pack! Holy crap!" lol.

I understand, but my point is that no cardio is necessary for that whatsoever...and you're the one that controls where you stop, and I think you'll be surprised at how far you can take it, and still be pretty and feminine.
  • abberbabber
    Options

I wish there was a way to make people understand...that lifting, isn't going to make you look 'manly'. YES...some of the girls who lift do (and I don't just mean body builders), but that's because they've made a conscious choice to go that far. YOU are the one that controls that hun. If you saw some of those women (like Jamie Eason that Ray quoted) while they were 'in progress'....you'd die of envy lol.

Yea, I figured you don't get that kind of "ripped" looking body by chance lol. Like I said earlier, it seems like when you read stuff on here the choices are "thin but flabby" or "super muscely and toned looking" with no middle ground. I like my middle ground, gol darnit! :laugh:

BTW Cris...you look *amazing*!! Kudos and congrats to you on your hard work :smile:
  • PurpleCoookie
    PurpleCoookie Posts: 334
    Options
    I'm going to lurk this thread for awhile, I like the information passed here. :happy:

No tips OP, but I have similar goal.
  • abberbabber
    Options
    I'm going to lurk this thread for awhile, I like the information passed here. :happy:

No tips OP, but I have similar goal.

lol It's all good! I figured I couldn't be the only one wondering so I went ahead and asked! :flowerforyou:

On a completely different note...I love the flower smiley. I think it's my favorite!
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    So, here's my thing. I don't want a super toned/athletic looking body. I want to be a little soft, a little squishy. But...I don't want to be flabby and saggy. It seems like, around here, the options are toned and muscely (ha, not a word...y'all know what I mean) or flabby and saggy, even if you're "thin". I know that I won't necessarily "bulk up" like a man if I do weight training...but I see pics on here of the girls who "lift heavy" and although they look *awesome*, that's not really what I want to look like. It's just my personal preference.

I'm currently doing the 30 day shred and my Navy SEAL buddy has told me to do body weight exercises instead of lifting weights. Any other suggestions? I hope my explanation made sense...and that everyone will be polite when answering :flowerforyou:

When you look in the mirror and you are happy with what you see than that should be your "thing".
    Although the hard part is that most people always see some thing they can improve and cannot find that sweet spot. As long as you can appreciate the little victorys that will change your whole personality positively.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Yea, I figured you don't get that kind of "ripped" looking body by chance lol. Like I said earlier, it seems like when you read stuff on here the choices are "thin but flabby" or "super muscely and toned looking" with no middle ground. I like my middle ground, gol darnit! :laugh:

BTW Cris...you look *amazing*!! Kudos and congrats to you on your hard work :smile:

Well, now you see the middle ground :).

And thank you for the compliment! It's really appreciated. I think you'd be surprised though by how little hard work is involved lol. 1hr a day, 3 days a week (yes...rest is what burns fat...and 4 days of it, with how hard you push on lifting days...gives plenty of time to burn fat lol), over 3 months...of heavy strength training (and I did it via bodyweight too...40lbs of fat, gone). The results would have come even more easily had I used a gym.

That's it.