"Ideal" Body

Options

Replies

• Sd0510
    Sd0510 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'm going to lurk this thread for awhile, I like the information passed here. :happy:

No tips OP, but I have similar goal.

Haha, I am lurking too because I have no idea what I want whatsoever and this information is really helpful.

I had no clue the 'big muscley girls' look 'normal' on off-season and that was a great piece of new information to learn. I never even thought of that, but now that I have, I think I might re-arrange my goals. I don't want to be that muscley, but I think I want to have a small amount of muscles under a thin layer of fat so if I ever want them they are easily accessible. Lol.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Well I fell good now. We've had a constructive thread with no slander, where we have been able to pass on some genuine advice which has been taken on board by the OP.

This has to be some kind of MFP record... can we sticky this now? :laugh: :laugh:

*high fives all round*
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Well I fell good now. We've had a constructive thread with no slander, where we have been able to pass on some genuine advice which has been taken on board by the OP.

This has to be some kind of MFP record... can we sticky this now? :laugh: :laugh:

*high fives all round*

For sure man, lol.

Now we'll see if it makes it 24hrs!
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Great job guys :)

Ladies, take a look at my pics... I'm not ripped... yet ;)
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I do want to add that its a really good idea to add some type of cardio to your weight training. Nothing worse than seeing a muscluar person (male or female) that does not do any cardio and only weight trains walk up a flight of stairs only to stop at the top and huff and puff trying catch their breath. I have been there and learned this the hard way myself, never again. Also train the Slow Twitch (Type I) because they are more efficient at using oxygen to generate more fuel (known as ATP) for continuous, extended muscle contractions over a long time.
  • PurpleCoookie
    PurpleCoookie Posts: 334
    Options
    I'm going to lurk this thread for awhile, I like the information passed here. :happy:

Haha, I am lurking too because I have no idea what I want whatsoever and this information is really helpful.

I had no clue the 'big muscley girls' look 'normal' on off-season and that was a great piece of new information to learn. I never even thought of that, but now that I have, I think I might re-arrange my goals. I don't want to be that muscley, but I think I want to have a small amount of muscles under a thin layer of fat so if I ever want them they are easily accessible. Lol.

agreed, I seen her in off-season but not when she is in competition mode. Big difference
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    I do want to add that its a really good idea to add some type of cardio to your weight training. Nothing worse than seeing a muscluar person (male or female) that does not do any cardio and only weight trains walk up a flight of stairs only to stop at the top and huff and puff trying catch their breath. I have been there and learned this the hard way myself, never again. Train the Slow Twitch (Type I) because they are more efficient at using oxygen to generate more fuel (known as ATP) for continuous, extended muscle contractions over a long time.

My strength training provides some level of cardiovascular benifit. And I agree that you shouldn't discount cardio completely. My only point was that for effective, efficient fat loss...cardio is unnecessary, and is often even argued to be counterproductive.

:flowerforyou:
  • Shock_Wave
    Options
    I do want to add that its a really good idea to add some type of cardio to your weight training. Nothing worse than seeing a muscluar person (male or female) that does not do any cardio and only weight trains walk up a flight of stairs only to stop at the top and huff and puff trying catch their breath. I have been there and learned this the hard way myself, never again. Train the Slow Twitch (Type I) because they are more efficient at using oxygen to generate more fuel (known as ATP) for continuous, extended muscle contractions over a long time.

My strength training provides some level of cardiovascular benifit. And I agree that you shouldn't discount cardio completely. My only point was that for effective, efficient fat loss...cardio is unnecessary, and is often even argued to be counterproductive.

Only counterproductive if all you train is cardio - Slow Twitch (Type I). Unless you're a type I athlete or something.
    You can have your cake and eat it too or the best of both worlds by being cardio fit and strength training fit.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Only counterproductive if all you train is cardio - Slow Twitch (Type I). Unless you're a type I athlete or something.
    You can have your cake and eat it too or the best of both worlds by being cardio fit and strength training fit.

Agree completely!
  • Thinkthinstaythin
    Thinkthinstaythin Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You can get toned. With out to toned. Where I am at is good I do weights still but I am a still it squishy as you say.
  • Shock_Wave
    Options

Agree completely!

Its funny how all the people who incorporate strength training can always see this and agree but the cardio only junkies(not athletes or competition joggers) I mean normal people that are trying to lose weight that dont want to lift never do until some time way later in their journey.
  • gonnabethinandfit
    gonnabethinandfit Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm caught between beyonce and twiggy. Either perfect curves or bones..I hate the athletic, muscular look.
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Wow, I think I have been motivated to lift weights..
  • tehanismom
    tehanismom Posts: 1
    Options
    This is a great thread! It has been very informational and inspiring. Since weight lifting was the focus of the thread, I have a question about weight training (free weights and machines) vs. body weight training (push ups, pull ups, etc..) and their respective benefits? Is one more effective than the other in building muscle? I've been doing more cardio than resistance training and after reading this thread I'm looking into revamping my workouts to include more resistance training. Thanks all!
  • 8bitAlina
    8bitAlina Posts: 353 Member
    Options

*waves to her MFP friend* Ditto! My goal is to be firmer, yet still totally huggable. Thank you for a wonderful thread full of useful advice and tips :flowerforyou:
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    This is a great thread! It has been very informational and inspiring. Since weight lifting was the focus of the thread, I have a question about weight training (free weights and machines) vs. body weight training (push ups, pull ups, etc..) and their respective benefits? Is one more effective than the other in building muscle? I've been doing more cardio than resistance training and after reading this thread I'm looking into revamping my workouts to include more resistance training. Thanks all!

It's going to depend on how the exercises are performed. If you're doing weight training, and performing it in a 'traditional' bodyweight manner (the100 pushup challenge for example)...the your results won't differ much. If you're doing bodyweight training, and performing it in a more traditional 'strength training' manner (failure/loss of form in 5-8 reps)...the results will be similar.

In a strength training circumstance, weights have the advantage in how quickly you can ramp up your resistance (just a change of a plate versus a new exercise putting more leverage on your muscles), and the level to which it can be ramped (infinite, versus the very limit of leverage your bodyweight can provide). Bodyweight has the advantage of convenience (you can do virtually all of it at home), cost (free...worst case you go down to your nearest school playground).

In the end, for most women...either/or will work. Most likely though, you'll see faster results with weights...simply because of the mindset you'll have going in (you'll push harder).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

The biggest advantage to free weights is that there is a significant amount more flexibility in what you can do - both with the type of exercise and the heaviness of the weights which makes them more effective in my opinion.

Body weight exercises should not be discounted at all however and are great for folks who cannot get to the gym. Push ups for example are excellent and you will often see people doing push ups in the gym right next to the free weights. They can also be adapted to hit different muscle groups and in intenstity (e.g. raising your legs). They are also really good when starting out as you can do modified push ups.

I am not a fan of machines as I find they often make the lifting awkward (you can end up having bad form) and also do not work your core as effectively. They are also less flexible in what you can do.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

The biggest advantage to free weights is that there is a significant amount more flexibility in what you can do - both with the type of exercise and the heaviness of the weights which makes them more effective in my opinion.

Body weight exercises should not be discounted at all however and are great for folks who cannot get to the gym. Push ups for example are excellent and you will often see people doing push ups in the gym right next to the free weights. They can also be adapted to hit different muscle groups and in intenstity (e.g. raising your legs). They are also really good when starting out as you can do modified push ups.

I am not a fan of machines as I find they often make the lifting awkward (you can end up having bad form) and also do not work your core as effectively. They are also less flexible in what you can do.

Well said :).
  • Shock_Wave
    Options

It's going to depend on how the exercises are performed. If you're doing weight training, and performing it in a 'traditional' bodyweight manner (the100 pushup challenge for example)...the your results won't differ much. If you're doing bodyweight training, and performing it in a more traditional 'strength training' manner (failure/loss of form in 5-8 reps)...the results will be similar.

In a strength training circumstance, weights have the advantage in how quickly you can ramp up your resistance (just a change of a plate versus a new exercise putting more leverage on your muscles), and the level to which it can be ramped (infinite, versus the very limit of leverage your bodyweight can provide). Bodyweight has the advantage of convenience (you can do virtually all of it at home), cost (free...worst case you go down to your nearest school playground).

In the end, for most women...either/or will work. Most likely though, you'll see faster results with weights...simply because of the mindset you'll have going in (you'll push harder).

Agreed if you don't have access to a gym or weights then you can still do body-weight exercises in lieu of this.
    "The type of exercise is not the most important criterion; for example, the perctoralis and triceps muscle groups can be trained by perfoming the free weight bench press exercise, the chest bench press exercise on a variety of selectorized machines, or push-ups on the floor or stability ball. As long as the intesity is at the necessary threshold and applied to the correct muscles, adaptation will occur; regardless of the type of exercise"<-- NSCA

Edit: I would advise eating an adequate amount of protein as this will also help.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Well said :).

Thank you - you too :happy: