pseudo science and weight loss BS

Options

Replies

• mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    "Cleanses" and "detoxing" drive me nuts!
  • ariant23
    ariant23 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    deleted because i'm a moron.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    The blood type diet and bodywraps have to be my two most common facepalms.

^ These are great ones too. LOLBloodtype diet.

Steve Troutman found a facial recognition diet, it's linked to his Pareto article I believe. Hilarious stuff.

Haha, yeah I read that the other day. Steve Troutman is da bomb. I pretty much think you can put any random string of words together, tag "diet" on the end and sell it.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Drinking diet soda makes you fat and/or is toxic.

So it had nothing to do with the sweets and the huge platefuls of food I ate... it was just my Dr Pepper Zero that was to blame :sad:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is a huge conspiracy in which the FDA were paid off to turn a blind eye to the fact that it gives you cancer and causes you to gain weight.

Actually, this is what we're talking about. This is pseudo-science and fear mongering. Aspartame has helped millions (if not billions) of diabetics control their blood sugar while still enjoying semi-regular food. It's also helped people like me lose weight by switching from regular to diet soda.
    ?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    "Everybody's different," is one that drives me nuts. Everybody is the exact same species genetically, barring a serious medical condition we are all exactly the same.

And related to that, Somatotypes also drive me nuts, since the "science" behind them was completely made up with absolutely no basis in reality.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    How about:

"I eat no more than 800 calories a day, I am not hungry, and I never eat my exercise calories back! I've already lost 37 lbs. this week, so It's working for me! Everybody is different, and every time I lose weight this is the way I do it, BTW, I do NOT have an ED"

:laugh:
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is a huge conspiracy in which the FDA were paid off to turn a blind eye to the fact that it gives you cancer and causes you to gain weight.

Actually, this is what we're talking about. This is pseudo-science and fear mongering. Aspartame has helped millions (if not billions) of diabetics control their blood sugar while still enjoying semi-regular food. It's also helped people like me lose weight by switching from regular to diet soda.

I know it's pseudo-science and fear mongering. This post is a list of things that the contributors consider pseudo-science.
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    Coffee just came out my nose when I read, 'or your muscles will fall off'.

Expelling coffee through your nostrils is an excellent method of cleansing. Congratulations! I bet you just lost 3 lbs!
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I've got a friend that thinks if he buys the most expensive protein shakes and power bars, he can build muscle without lifting heavy. He's a 6' 2" 145 lb mountain of muscle. Don't dare tell him he might be wrong though. He made his boyfriend some grilled beets for dinner recently and he puked it all up. His words were, 'it must have been too healthy for him'. I couldn't help myself and busted out laughing. Man, I don't care how healthy beets are, they're still nasty.
    That is the one thing i can honestly say i HATE......BEETS! YUCK!~ Those purple pickled ones...NASTY!!!!! I've tried to like them or see if my tastes have changed on them, but NOPE, still YUCK!! lol
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    Bananas make you fat

Oh good Lord, do not even joke about bananas. Those things can kill you.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    Anything "Dr." Oz says.....!
  • sleepytexan
    Options

That is the one thing i can honestly say i HATE......BEETS! YUCK!~ Those purple pickled ones...NASTY!!!!! I've tried to like them or see if my tastes have changed on them, but NOPE, still YUCK!! lol

OMG, I seriously love pickled beets (and hard boiled eggs pickled with beets), beet salad, roasted beets, cold beets, hot beets, BEETS!

but NOT Estonian Rossolye. NASTY.

Edit: my husband just made this worse (when I asked him how to spell rossolye). He said "MMMM Granny used to put hotdogs in it too". blech, wretch, ugh.
  • ariant23
    ariant23 Posts: 161 Member
    Options

I know it's pseudo-science and fear mongering. This post is a list of things that the contributors consider pseudo-science.

Sorry... i'm such a moron. it's one of my pet peeves... duh... duh... post about things that are fake... duh... :flowerforyou:

ETA: I "deleted" the original reply post, but will leave this up as a reminder of my stupidity
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    "Everybody's different"

Grow a third freaking leg and turn purple and I might accept that.

Personally the one that gets me is people believing their metabolism can stop.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    You need to drink 8 glasses of water a day
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    that wrapping your *kitten* in saran wrap (hot pants) will help you spot reduce
    Pretty much anything that an otc weight loss pill touts (the bottle says taking 8 of these a day along with a healthy diet and exercise program . . . a-hem, that bares repeating: along with a healthy diet and exercise program)
    That if you [run, lift, something] your uterus will fall out . . . mine's sits up there where it belongs just fine and dandy, thank you very much
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Haaa, when I was young, I was told that if you ate grapefruit in the morning with our breakfast that it would burn fat!!! ;-D
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Here are some more that I've heard:
    Coffee will stall your weightloss, because your body will use the caffeine before using your calories. (It's a stimulant, not calories)
    Peanuts are unhealthy and will make you fat, but almonds are healthy and have 'better fat' and will make you lose weight. (If you eat both does that mean you will maintain?)
    Beer will make you have a beer belly. (You mean visceral fat?)
    There's no way to detect visceral fat. (Uhhh... I got nothin.)
    Colon cleansing and enemas are healthy and should be done often for weightloss. (Man, what kind of pr0n have you been looking at?)
  • MissyMissy18
    MissyMissy18 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Anything "Dr." Oz says.....!

UGH yes. My mom LOVES him, and every few weeks I hear about a new groundbreaking medical discovery. Like how we are all infested with parasites and don't know it.

I hate how completely saturated media is with this bull**** and fear mongering... can you blame people for being sucked in when they are constantly being told they might have some undiagnosed ailment that can easily be fixed to instantly improve their lives? I'll admit, sometimes when I'm feeling *off* (sleepy, irritable, gassy, whatever!) or when my weight loss is stalling, I'll do a Google search and find myself nearly convinced I need to buy some crazy juice detox/cleanse and increase my calories to 1800, or decrease them to 1200, or start some intense vitamin regimen, or cut out dairy because the cavemen didn't have cows. Or whatever.

It's at this point that I force myself to step away from the computer, slap myself in the face, remind myself I am NOT a caveman and that millions of years of evolution have made me an incredibly efficient disease-fighting machine.. and if I simply take good care of my body, it will take good care of me.