pseudo science and weight loss BS

Options

Replies

• honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    That you absolutely will NOT lose weight if you're still eating junk food, even if you're under your calorie goal.

If that were true than I'd still be 185lbs!
  • crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Anything "Dr." Oz says.....!

UGH yes. My mom LOVES him, and every few weeks I hear about a new groundbreaking medical discovery. Like how we are all infested with parasites and don't know it.

I hate how completely saturated media is with this bull**** and fear mongering... can you blame people for being sucked in when they are constantly being told they might have some undiagnosed ailment that can easily be fixed to instantly improve their lives? I'll admit, sometimes when I'm feeling *off* (sleepy, irritable, gassy, whatever!) or when my weight loss is stalling, I'll do a Google search and find myself nearly convinced I need to buy some crazy juice detox/cleanse and increase my calories to 1800, or decrease them to 1200, or start some intense vitamin regimen, or cut out dairy because the cavemen didn't have cows. Or whatever.

It's at this point that I force myself to step away from the computer, slap myself in the face, remind myself I am NOT a caveman and that millions of years of evolution have made me an incredibly efficient disease-fighting machine.. and if I simply take good care of my body, it will take good care of me.

I made a coworker mad the other day because I told her the only reason Dr. Oz was on TV was because he couldn't cut it as a real doc. LOL :drinker:
  • kristers03
    kristers03 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Thank You!! Dr. Oz is a quack and should be banned from giving any kind of nutritional or well being advice!!
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I've got a friend that thinks if he buys the most expensive protein shakes and power bars, he can build muscle without lifting heavy. He's a 6' 2" 145 lb mountain of muscle. Don't dare tell him he might be wrong though. He made his boyfriend some grilled beets for dinner recently and he puked it all up. His words were, 'it must have been too healthy for him'. I couldn't help myself and busted out laughing. Man, I don't care how healthy beets are, they're still nasty.
    That is the one thing i can honestly say i HATE......BEETS! YUCK!~ Those purple pickled ones...NASTY!!!!! I've tried to like them or see if my tastes have changed on them, but NOPE, still YUCK!! lol

I hate beets too but they are really good for you so I will juice them and hide them with better flavors. HAHA!
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    CARBS ARE EVIL
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I've got a friend that thinks if he buys the most expensive protein shakes and power bars, he can build muscle without lifting heavy. He's a 6' 2" 145 lb mountain of muscle. Don't dare tell him he might be wrong though. He made his boyfriend some grilled beets for dinner recently and he puked it all up. His words were, 'it must have been too healthy for him'. I couldn't help myself and busted out laughing. Man, I don't care how healthy beets are, they're still nasty.
    That is the one thing i can honestly say i HATE......BEETS! YUCK!~ Those purple pickled ones...NASTY!!!!! I've tried to like them or see if my tastes have changed on them, but NOPE, still YUCK!! lol

I hate beets too but they are really good for you so I will juice them and hide them with better flavors. HAHA!

I'm allergic to beets. No idea what they taste like and I'm glad I'm not missing out!
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    that wrapping your *kitten* in saran wrap (hot pants) will help you spot reduce
    Pretty much anything that an otc weight loss pill touts (the bottle says taking 8 of these a day along with a healthy diet and exercise program . . . a-hem, that bares repeating: along with a healthy diet and exercise program)
    That if you [run, lift, something] your uterus will fall out . . . mine's sits up there where it belongs just fine and dandy, thank you very much

HAHA! No kidding, wouldn't we all be skinny, heck I think Saran Wrap is only like 1.98...all these years and I could have saved myself 1,000's
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options

UGH yes. My mom LOVES him, and every few weeks I hear about a new groundbreaking medical discovery. Like how we are all infested with parasites and don't know it.

I hate how completely saturated media is with this bull**** and fear mongering... can you blame people for being sucked in when they are constantly being told they might have some undiagnosed ailment that can easily be fixed to instantly improve their lives? I'll admit, sometimes when I'm feeling *off* (sleepy, irritable, gassy, whatever!) or when my weight loss is stalling, I'll do a Google search and find myself nearly convinced I need to buy some crazy juice detox/cleanse and increase my calories to 1800, or decrease them to 1200, or start some intense vitamin regimen, or cut out dairy because the cavemen didn't have cows. Or whatever.

It's at this point that I force myself to step away from the computer, slap myself in the face, remind myself I am NOT a caveman and that millions of years of evolution have made me an incredibly efficient disease-fighting machine.. and if I simply take good care of my body, it will take good care of me.

I made a coworker mad the other day because I told her the only reason Dr. Oz was on TV was because he couldn't cut it as a real doc. LOL :drinker:
    Reminds me of another one I've heard.
    Unless you're a doctor, you can't question dr. Oz. I guess we shouldn't question dr. Mengele either.
  • DeepAsAPlate
    DeepAsAPlate Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    "Exercise gives you a natural high."

Yeah, that's great. Thanks for the chemicals. But that doesn't mean busting my *kitten* on an elliptical machine is my idea of a fan-friggin-tastic time.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Reminds me of another one I've heard.
    Unless you're a doctor, you can't question dr. Oz. I guess we shouldn't question dr. Mengele either.

On a forum post here, I was calling some of the nutritional information and general strategies presented on "The Biggest Loser" as being silly and/or unnecessary. Someone who was a tryout for the show then raked me over the coals saying that if I'm not on the show, how could I know whether or not it's good info.

LOL.

LOL.

Well, lets see maybe it's because I have a TELEVISION?
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Detoxing stuff like cleanses, body wraps, pills etc... um, excuse me, I poop and it's free. Have you heard of it?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If women lift weights they will get a 'man chest'
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Oh, and of course Starvation Mode™. Which defies the laws of thermodynamics, but nobody seems to care.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    You can burn 16 cals/minute with Shake Weights
  • Lyndseed
    Lyndseed Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Bananas make you fat

Oh good Lord, do not even joke about bananas. Those things can kill you.

true story. They're dangerous:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piWCBOsJr-w
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    the only "natural high" I get after exercising, is that I'm so happy it's over!
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    The Shake Weight will bring all the boys to your yard...

...Oh, wait...that may be true.
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    The first time I heard about how certain "blood types" cant't eat this or that food. I was thinking that it sounds really dumb.
    Who thinks of that stuff. Your body needs healthy food and exercise no matter what blood type you are. And just because you are b+ or whatever doesn't mean you should stuff your face with red meat....
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    How flippantly the 1st law of Thermodynamics is thrown around on here as the absolute reason everything should function exactly the same for everyone. Apparently the 2nd law of thermodynamics (Entropy, anyone?) is irrelevant. And yes, I'm ready for the firestorm should it come.
  • lolcatftw
    lolcatftw Posts: 36
    Options
    @saraht131, @Sidesteal, right on point. These are great. I haven't read the thread all the way through, but the seemingly ubiquitous belief that you can spot reduce fat has always been a favorite of mine.