Lasik Surgery?

Options
soontobesam
soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
Just wondering if any of my fellow MFPers have had Lasik Surgery? Looking to get a sense if people are happy with their decision or feel they made a wrong choice.

I have TERRIBLE vision and plan on getting Lasik in the next few years.

Please don't share your opinions on it if you haven't actually had it - no offense meant just want real testimonials.

Replies

• cskalaj
    cskalaj Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I did it back in '06 when I was preparing to leave for 2 years in Africa because I didn't want to mess with contacts or keeping up with glasses while I was there. I love it! My vision wasn't very bad before having it done...it was just difficult and/or gave me a headache to try to see far away without squinting pretty good. I know I'm going to need reading glasses one day, but I came to terms with that when I had it done. To me, 20 years without any glasses was worth the 20-40 needing them when I read afterwards. Otherwise it would have been the rest of my life with glasses! Anyway, the surgery itself can be intimidating (the smell is bizzare and them yelling at you not to move your eye at all while they have the flap open and you can't see anything is intense) but I had no pain afterwards. My friend who had it done said she had great pain, but her eyes were the same prescription as mine, so I think it came down to tolerance to pain.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options

Please don't share your opinions on it if you haven't actually had it - no offense meant just want real testimonials.

I haven't actually had it but a close friend of mine has, if I share his experience and what he has told me about it, does that fall out from your "real testimonials" category?
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I haven't had it, but my mom just did it. My mom got her's done with a very reputable place and had A LOT of pain afterwards. Now that she's all healed up, she needs to go back because one of her eyes has started to lose it's sight. It's not worse than before, just not where the other one is, and she just got this done earlier this year.
  • MrEmoticon
    MrEmoticon Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I had it done about 4 years ago. Best. Decision. Of. My. Life.
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    Had it done a year and a half ago. So glad I did. I had a really bad healing period, one eye took a lot longer to heal than the other but after a few months they evened up and are both 20/10 now. I have become friends with eye drops, and lost some of my great close vision but both of my parents have bifocals anyway, so I knew I would eventually have them. Better to have reading glasses then still be wearing glasses and need bifocals anyway. :happy:
  • RMuske
    RMuske Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    It can go well. I opted not to and to get vision shaping contacts instead because I have heard horrible things about dry eye and scarring...
  • Lassoo
    Lassoo Posts: 20
    Options
    I had it done about 4 years ago. Best. Decision. Of. My. Life.

I second this. Getting lasik though is like buying a car. DO NOT GO TO THE DUDE WHO CAN GIVE YOU A DEAL!! We're talking your eyesight here. Go with the best, pay the money and you'll not regret it.
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • usc2626
    usc2626 Posts: 186
    Options
    I had it done four or five years ago (my memory sucks) and it was a great decision!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I did it about 6 years ago. Best thing I have ever done.
  • soontobesam
    Options

I haven't actually had it but a close friend of mine has, if I share his experience and what he has told me about it, does that fall out from your "real testimonials" category?

Hmm Can't tell if you're being a ***** or asking me a real question....
  • soontobesam
    Options
    Awesome - thanks for the feedback everyone.

I'm still in the research phase but I'm really really considering doing. Although I have to say - the actual procedure gives me a good case of the heebie jeebies.

You are awake the whole time right? :sick:
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    I had Lasik done 5 years ago. I would highly recommend it to anyone who qualifies. Procedure was quick, painless and I was completely healed within a week. Woke the next morning being able to see 20/20 at my first follow up. 20/15 once healed.
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    My sister had it about 5 years ago and she loves not wearing the glasses or contacts anymore.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    You are awake but they will likely offer you a valium for the procedure. I passed. But my procedure was about 15 minutes. Piece of cake.
  • soontobesam
    Options
    You are awake but they will likely offer you a valium for the procedure. I passed. But my procedure was about 15 minutes. Piece of cake.

I think I'll take the valium.. :glasses:

Glad you're procedure was so quick and painless. Fingers crossed that mine (whenever I get it) will be also!
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I had the surgery about twelve years ago and have no regrets!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Just hit one year after having it done and it was the best decision ever. I only had to have one eye done though. I did my research and went to a guy who basically founded Lasik and has done something like 60,000 surgeries so I felt pretty confident he knew his stuff.

Please please PLEASE make sure you go to someone reputable! ASK for recommendations and do NOT base your decision on price ie: go to the cheapest person.

Also you will need to get an examination from the place you choose to go to in order to see if you're actually a candidate for the surgery.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options

WOW, hahahaha.
    I was actually asking a real question, I didn't know if you'd want second-hand experience or not? .....
  • soontobesam
    Options

WOW, hahahaha.
    I was actually asking a real question, I didn't know if you'd want second-hand experience or not? But okay!

Sorry Colie - please don't take it personal. I've read quite a few nasty comments from people on this site so I went into Ninja Mode when I read that. Any experience you know of is helpful! I didn't really explain what I was looking for too well - I meant I didn't want opinions from people who didn't have it or know of anyone who had it and just felt like throwing a comment in.