Lasik Surgery?

Options

Replies

• Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Our son had it done about 6 years ago. He had terrible vision and now it is 20/20. He had pain the first day when he got home--as in a horrible headache for about 5 or 6 hours and then it was gone. He drove himself to the first follow-up the next day. He works in a bakery and had to wear goggles for 2 weeks while he was healing so he didn't get flour dust in his eyes, but that was all. He LOVES not having glasses and has had no problems since.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I had this done in 1999. It was amazing. I had terrible vision, -10 in both eyes. The procedure is painless and actually really cool, because when the machine cuts the flap to laser your cornea, it's like watching a moon eclipse. I could see very clearly as soon as it was finished, and ended up with better than 20/20 vision. The freedom of no glasses or contacts was amazing. I'm 47 now, and I only need reading glasses for tiny print, but that's just age related. You get to wear cool dark wrap around glasses while your eyes heal. The day I had my surgery, my young daughter asked to look, and proceeded to poke my right eye. Still have a scar that the eye doctor can see, lol. It was well worth it and very safe.
  • mfkfoster
    mfkfoster Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I had it done about 4 years ago and it was the best present my Dad ever gave me. I was 35 at the time Had no pain after. I would definitely do it all over again if I had to. They did give me a sedative to clam my nerves and pain medication for it afterwards. I didn't use the pain medication. Went to bed after my Dad drove me home stayed there until the next day asleep. Woke up fine.

Best. Thing. Ever!
  • Slhuth
    Slhuth Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've had it, and I love having it done. I highly recommend it. There are actually two kinds of laser correction surgery Lasik or PRK. Not to be too graphic, but Lasik, they cut a "flap" on your eye (like the bulging part where your cornea is) and they pull it back, and then place it back when the surgery is complete. PRK is when they take the flap off complete. It takes about 3 days for it regrow and you can't see for those 3 days. The military usually get this type because they believe it is less likely to get infected (though there hasn't been any proof either way).

So if you get the Lasik type, you can see within hours of having the surgery, the PRK it takes a couple days. I had Lasik done, and they used a blade to cut the flap. Most places use the bladeless (another laser) to cut the flap. They give you a anti-anxiety pill prior and they hold your head in place. They also have eye lid restraints so you don't blink. It takes between 10-30 seconds for each eye depending on how bad your correction is. You'll get steroids and antibiotic eye drops to take for the next couple of weeks. They encourage you to go home and sleep to keep your eyes moist.

Also, the place I went to had free financing which was nice. And a lifetime warranty. So you will go in like a month after surgery and have an eye test done and find out your new vision. If your vision deteriorates again, you can have the procedure done again at no cost to you.

I had the PRK for my enhancement the on my left eye....much different then lasik...longer to recover, I had pain with this where I didn't with the lasik...don't get me wrong..I would still go thru it again!!
  • Skeena4
    Skeena4 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I had HORRIBLE vision since i was about 14 - too blind for LASIK so I had to get PRK, which had a much longer healing time (about 2-3 weeks as opposed to 2-3 days) but seriously it was the BEST thing I ever did.
    I would take the valium if it's offered... I didn't think I would be that squeamish about the whole thing as I am not normally that kind of person but I was kinda hoping they would have offered it to me (THEY DIDN'T)
    I was very light sensitive for days afterwards, and BORED!! No reading, no computer, no driving etc.

Now, it's been about 7 months and I'm 20/20!!

But all in all, BEST...THING.... TO... EVER....HAPPEN
  • JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    Options
    I had mine done about 4 years ago. I LOVE it! Best thing EVER! I took the valium so it's pretty laid back and not too disturbing ;-) My procedure was maybe 5 minutes long, and recovery was essentially overnight. I had a weird dry/irritated feeling for a couple days, but that went away. I may have drier eyes and halos at night, but it's so slight that I don't even notice it.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I had mine done last November at LASIK MD in Toronto.
    Best decision of my life..
    I had all laser custom Lasik, My eyes stung for about a day when in light.. but after that i was golden..

From what i hear PRK is a lot more painful but only required if you have a high prescription.

I highly recommend it.
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I asked this question more or less knowing what I felt was best for me but you guys have all definitely helped me feel more confident in my decision,

I promise to do research and someday in the not too far off future you will see a "Got My Lasik" post from me! haha.

Thanks everyone - appreciate the responses.

Happy Thursday :drinker:
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Just hit one year after having it done and it was the best decision ever. I only had to have one eye done though. I did my research and went to a guy who basically founded Lasik and has done something like 60,000 surgeries so I felt pretty confident he knew his stuff.

Please please PLEASE make sure you go to someone reputable! ASK for recommendations and do NOT base your decision on price ie: go to the cheapest person.

Also you will need to get an examination from the place you choose to go to in order to see if you're actually a candidate for the surgery.

I will do my research - promise. :flowerforyou:

I had a free consult once with TLC but it was a while back. Do you recall what the place was that you used?

It was TLC. Highly recommend them. The only thing though is that even though you get the lasik done you have to get regular eye exams. You need to go for your one day, one week, one month, three month, six month, one year (all of those should be free) and after that you have to go to the eye doctor for your yearly eye exam in order for the "warranty" to remain active. If you miss one yearly appointment the warranty is invalid.

The lad who did my consult said they were guaranteed for life as long as I followed yadda yadda yadda (she probably told me what you just said) - which to me sounded pretty freaking awesome. If / when I get it I will be on top of everything I need to do so I don't void out the warranty.

Thanks!

It really is worth it. My eyes are sensitive to the all-in-one contact stuff so I had to bring the big bottle of saline and the big bottle of peroxide on vacation. That's like five extra pounds of shoes I can now take!

I am very pleased with the results and have had no problems. I was in and out in a matter of minutes. Went home to sleep -- they strongly recommend that because you will have some pain and discomfort -- and when I woke up 6 hours later I could SEE! Seriously, it's been a year and the novelty hasn't worn off.
  • Alonnea
    Alonnea Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My husband had PRK surgery a couple of months ago. They take the top layer of tissue off your cornea with that surgery and sometimes it can take longer to heal then lasik but he's so happy with it. He could barely see anything if he didn't have contacts or glasses in and now has no issues.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Just hit one year after having it done and it was the best decision ever. I only had to have one eye done though. I did my research and went to a guy who basically founded Lasik and has done something like 60,000 surgeries so I felt pretty confident he knew his stuff.

Please please PLEASE make sure you go to someone reputable! ASK for recommendations and do NOT base your decision on price ie: go to the cheapest person.

Also you will need to get an examination from the place you choose to go to in order to see if you're actually a candidate for the surgery.

I will do my research - promise. :flowerforyou:

I had a free consult once with TLC but it was a while back. Do you recall what the place was that you used?

It was TLC. Highly recommend them. The only thing though is that even though you get the lasik done you have to get regular eye exams. You need to go for your one day, one week, one month, three month, six month, one year (all of those should be free) and after that you have to go to the eye doctor for your yearly eye exam in order for the "warranty" to remain active. If you miss one yearly appointment the warranty is invalid.

The lad who did my consult said they were guaranteed for life as long as I followed yadda yadda yadda (she probably told me what you just said) - which to me sounded pretty freaking awesome. If / when I get it I will be on top of everything I need to do so I don't void out the warranty.

Thanks!

Mine was done at TLC as well. Unfortunately I will never be able to take advantage of the life time warranty as they said my corneas were too thin to do another surgery. Either way, they were awesome and super nice.
  • Tara1B
    Tara1B Posts: 78
    Options
    I had it done 2 years ago and I would recommend it to anyone! I had the surgery in the evening, came home slept through the night and when I woke the next morning I could see so clearly! I would suggest you do it this way too, then you sleep through most of the uncomfortableness (gritty feeling). The only negative I have is that I find driving in the dark a little more difficult - the glare from oncoming lights is much brighter now.

If you don't mind putting eyedrops in for a couple of months, sleeping with goggles and wearing no eye make-up for a few weeks, I would do it!

T x
  • valerie521
    valerie521 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I had it done in 2002 - after ongoing complications with contact lenses. I was allergic to saline
    preservatives and my eyes suffered. PLUS, I was not good at removing them as prescribed.

My scare -- the eye doctor told me if I didnt stop wearing contacts that one day, I would be
    looking through a cob web (because my lens' would be scarred from lack of proper oxygen -
    nd they need to rest)> Scared me to death.

Paid $1500 through my companies Flex Spending plan.

I would have paid a million !!! There is no comparison and my vision is still 20/15 !!!!
    just verified the number two weeks ago at the eye doc

IF YOU CAN DO IT... DO IT !!
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    I have two friends that have had it done. One was in glasses again within a year, but I'm not sure her doctor was top notch... I've always heard your prescription should remain the same for a few years before you get Lasik, and hers was still constantly changing. My other friend went to a guy in Tampa that has done thousands and thousands of surgeries and she has loved her results. She got one eye done at a time for price reasons and so that she wouldn't have to deal with both eyes healing at the same time. She totally loves her results.

Lasik is the first thing on my "disposable income" list when I get a job. I've been blind as a bat since I was in 2nd grade and I'd love to be able to wake up and see without having to put on glasses or contacts.
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I had mine done in January of 2011. Best decision I ever made. I am only 25 but have been terribly nearsighted since I was in the third grade. I mean, it was BAD. I wore contacts, but when I went on a camping trip in 2010, I realized: "What if I am out here in the middle of nowhere, and I lose a contact AND break my glasses?" I was legally blind without glasses/contacts. So the next year I put away money in my flex spending to get Lasik.

I went to an awesome doctor at TLC center. Everything went great and the staff there was very professional and courteous. I took a Xanax before the procedure and they gave me a little "Finding Nemo" stuffed animal to hold while I did the procedure. :bigsmile: And they put numbing drops in my eyes.

So the procedure. The doc told me that women tend to be more nervous so he gave me a few minutes to do deep breathing, etc. I honestly wasn't that scared. I mean, I had been touching my eyes since I was 11 wearing contacts. I also got the iLASIK without the blade. If I had gotten that one I'd be a little more scurred! Lol! You know when you close your eyes and you see all those colors moving around the back of your eyelids? That's what staring up into the laser was like. They instruct you where to look and when. It was over very quickly. They sent me home with a kit of eyedrops and a schedule to take them., and recommended that I take a nap. You will have to take lots and lots of eyedrops!!! I didn't have any pain, but one of the staffers told me that "When you wake up from your nap, you will feel like you're standing in front of a bunch of onions from the eye irritation." She was right! I just put in some numbing drops and that made it go away just fine.

So one year later I am still about 20/20. I usually have to put drops in my eyes before going to bed every night (just the regular store-bought ones) because they get a little dry. I can also get "tweaks" for life, but everything is good so far. I may need reading glasses when I get older, but that's fine. As long as I'm not legally blind ever again! Feel free to message me if you ever have any more questions :-)
  • stacyfoo
    stacyfoo Posts: 47
    Options
    i'm seriously loving this thread right now. my husband and i have both been thinking about gettin Lasik for awhile and see so many positive testimonials is making me feel much better about the possibility.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    P.S.

Even if you are not scared or nervous,... TAKE THE PILL

Its freaky as hell when you are actually in there... I didn't take the pill because i wasn't nervous.. then i almost passed out afterward...

TAKE THE PILL
  • CALABRESE3
    CALABRESE3 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Bump--Im seriously considering this too!!!
  • soontobesam
    Options
    P.S.

Even if you are not scared or nervous,... TAKE THE PILL

Its freaky as hell when you are actually in there... I didn't take the pill because i wasn't nervous.. then i almost passed out afterward...

TAKE THE PILL

I'll take anything and everything they offer me. I don't get freaked out by much but when it comes to my eyeballs I'm a little scaredy cat. :embarassed:

Thanks for the tip - that will be mantra for that day "take the pill, take the pill, take the freaking pill!!"
  • soontobesam
    Options
    i'm seriously loving this thread right now. my husband and i have both been thinking about gettin Lasik for awhile and see so many positive testimonials is making me feel much better about the possibility.

Me too! Glad I brought it up - I'm feeling much more confident about getting it done now.