whats the worst "food myth" you have heard?

Options

Replies

• potatoyam
    potatoyam Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    YES!!!! I'M TOTALLY GOING TO SEE ROGER WATERS " THE WALL" LIVE in 2 weeks!!!

if you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. how can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    coffee counts as water
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Atkins in general.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Coffee does count as water, so do soda and tea.
  • sfjohnson16
    sfjohnson16 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    That diet sodas are actually good for you
  • maiasmum
    maiasmum Posts: 6
    Options
    if you want to lose weight you shouldn't eat after 6 pm ??!!? I usually get from work about this time so by the time I eat it's like 7, 7:30 pm, ohh well that probably why I'm fat :laugh:
  • militarydreams
    militarydreams Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    In school we had the 5 second rule... this meant that if you dropped your sammich on the floor but picked it up inside a 5 second window then all would be fine. I had mental images of the germs taking their sweet time to get to my lunch :laugh:
  • militarydreams
    militarydreams Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Drink great fruit in the morning will make you burn fat all day lond. Bullsh*t. :noway:

Um, grapefruit?

Ok this is funny
  • bawalker11
    bawalker11 Posts: 78
    Options
    Some of these are real gems!! My grandmother always said standing up while eating makes your legs fat and my husband is convinced that adding water to orange juice has the same flushing, hydrating effect as just drinking just water . . .
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    That "organic" food "doesn't have chemicals".

Whenever I hear some version of this, I totally facepalm. I mean, water is more or less a chemical.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    It's already been mentioned, but the one that bothers me the most is the "don't eat after __pm!" As if our body cares what time of day it is and changes the way it reacts to food. Bullsh!t :laugh:
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't eat carrots because they are nothing but carbs.....thanks, Mom!
  • rpphillip
    rpphillip Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I had a cousin that use to sware that fruit2o water made her gain weight.

and I use to go to church with a girl that said she could lose waight by eating dark choc. every night befor going to bed.

both of these ladies are still over weight
  • Alma_Sana
    Alma_Sana Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    That fruit is bad because it has sugar
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Broken biscuits don't count, because they aren't whole biscuits.
    Biscuits that you eat in the dark don't count, because you can't see them.
    Really thin biscuits don't count if you eat them side-on, I guess because they are really thin and therefore you kind-of can't see them either...

Anyone seeing a recurring theme here?!

I also read on here somewhere the other day - if you eat too much fat your liver turns it into insulin so that will make your insulin resistance worse.

Also I feel a need to comment on some other things I've seen, though I haven't read the whole way through this thread.
    Fruits are full of sugar which is bad, IF you eat a lot of them IF you are, for example, diabetic. High blood sugar is not conducive to weight loss.
    Dietary fat clogs your arteries. Someone said this is one of those myths. If not from your diet, where do you think that circulating fat comes from? Why do you think things like the Atkins diet that encourage people to eat more fat result in statistically higher rates of heart disease and atherosclerosis? It is absorbed from your gut, metabolised by your liver and packaged into lipoproteins to be transported around your body for storage. Too many lipoproteins of a certain kind get eaten up by other cells and sit in the walls of your blood vessels. Ergo, fat clogging arteries.
    FALSE as far as the fat clogging artery portion...OMG people have no clue when it comes to cholesterol
    I am going to stop reading this post now, reading some of this non-sense is raising my Blood pressure (False, you can't actually feel blood pressure, hence hypertension is known as the "silent killer" in the medical world)

Of course you can feel high blood pressure. Unless my tinnitus, pounding heart and palpitations are imaginary? :huh:

Oh and I'm an overweight vegetarian. I've been vege since the age of 10, put on weight from the age of 18 - too much alcohol, fast food and general being young stupid, eating too much and thinking I was invincible. So yeah, you can be an overweight vegetarian
  • jessie1480
    jessie1480 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I need a "like" button on this thread!!!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Some of these are real gems!! My grandmother always said standing up while eating makes your legs fat and my husband is convinced that adding water to orange juice has the same flushing, hydrating effect as just drinking just water . . .

If all you ever drank was orange juice, from a hydration perspective, your body would never know the difference.

Definite differences from a calorie perspective...but most any liquid will keep you hydrated successfully.
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    "Soda and coffee count towards your daily water" Unfortunately, there are a lot of people on MFP that still believe this too! :noway:
  • SeanColette
    SeanColette Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Eat breakfast to stoke the metabolic fire!

Total BS!
    :grumble:
    There is real science behind this "BS" that demonstrates why you need to "[e]at breakfast to stoke the metabolic fire". Your metabolic process is centered around the regulation of glucose in your blood stream, the fuel your body uses, and during the night your metabolism changes as your blood sugar declines. In the morning your blood sugar is at a "low" level, relative to the "normal" level for your body ("[a]verage blood sugar levels are 100 mg/dl (70-120 mg/dl) or 5 mmol/L") and as such eating breakfast increases the level of glucose in your system and the level your metabolism is working at.

That said, you cannot use it as a blanket statement and say that ANY food will jump-start your metabolism in a healthy way, and in fact the whole subject of breakfast and metabolism is far more complex than what is presented here.

A side note to this and every one of the other "myths" presented in this thread is that they are consistently being misinterpreted by many different people in a variety of different ways with limited understanding of what they mean and context presented.
    If there is any hope of this discussion being more than a running gag, the topics need to be well defined and the person presenting them must be clear and concise on the point, angle, and context they are arguing --and blanket statements should be avoided at all costs.
    :explode:

References:
    NSCA’s Performance Training Journal | www.nsca-lift.org/perform Vol. 4 No. 6 | Page 11
    http://www.fodsupport.org/blood-sugar-monitoring.htm
    Mayo Clinic, http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/insulin-and-weight-gain/DA00139/NSECTIONGROUP=2
    http://www.emaxhealth.com/43/2407.html
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    "Soda and coffee count towards your daily water" Unfortunately, there are a lot of people on MFP that still believe this too! :noway:

you know that, in the hospital, when tracking fluid intake that soup and even jello count, right? same deal here. I don't count soda, but coffee or tea? why the hell not? it's water with flavoring, essentially.