whats the worst "food myth" you have heard?

Options

Replies

• ttaylor68913
    ttaylor68913 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    "the body has to burn what it has stored in carbs before it starts going after the fat" just now talking to my friend about my progress or lack there of
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I do enjoy all the stabs at the various diets out there...

So far I have seen trash talk albeit someone passive on

Raw diets
    Paleo diets
    Low Carb diets

Etc by indicating that the foundation of these diets is a myth...

Lol gotta love the passive aggressive community here!

I mentioned a comment made by a Paleo fanatic, and had you read that thread you would understand why I use the term "fanatic". But, I was not being passive agressive or questioning the "foundation" of the Paleo diet. Unless "legumes are poisonous" actually is it's foundation, which I don't believe.

Legumes are not poisonous.
  • ttaylor68913
    ttaylor68913 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    'Red Bull gives you wings'

so disappointed when I found out this was a myth.

Yes, this is a disappointment, if only my brother had figured that out sooner. RIP my little brother.

my very healthy 19 year old cousin drank lots of energy drinks and needed up having signs of a heart attack.. went to the hospital his heart was swollen and having an arrhythmia energy drinks BAD
    I really hope you're joking. This totally made me laugh, which is grossly inappropriate if you're serious.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    clear liquor has no calories
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options

*sigh* wouldn't that be lovely?
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

*sigh* wouldn't that be lovely?

Interesting article lol:

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html
  • aleexFIT
    aleexFIT Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    "You won't lose any weight eating bananas".

^ Yes loser I've lost 65lb and have had a banana basically every day since I started.

I also have a friend who refuses to eat more than 5g per fat a day because she believes that is key to losing weight.
  • wendiann2222
    Options
    I swear, everytime I pull a banana out my purse (yes, I keep fruit in my purse...ya know, for fruit emergencies), atleast one person I'm with will say "Aren't you dieting? Bananas make you fat." or something along those lines *eye roll*

My mind went somewhere else entirely... Lol
  • donniesgirrl
    Options
    So I love fruit & don't consider it unhealthy...but it actually does have a lot of natural sugars and depending on the type, can be high glycemic. If your family is predisposed to diabetes, this can be a concern as the sugars affect your blood sugar. I make a point of not eating TOO much fruit, and balancing it with some protein/fat. I think understanding portion sizes on fruit is also very helpful. Anyway, I think that myth was just a distortion of the truth...

I agree with margarine is healthier than butter - yuck!
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    The most recent one I've heard...is that margarine is healthier than real butter.

I mean, seriously!?
  • ericarae33
    ericarae33 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed at all the bread crust myths! I was always told to eat all my crusts, because that is there all the nutrients are! The rest of the bread is just "fluff".

^^^ this!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    that dietary fat will make you fat... i think its the worst one all time.

agreed, such a stupid thought.

carbs are "fattening"

too much protein will hurt your kidneys.

eating before bed will make you fat.

Starvation mode sets in within hours.

food combining/separating because the body can't break down fat/carbs at the same time for example
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed at all the bread crust myths! I was always told to eat all my crusts, because that is there all the nutrients are! The rest of the bread is just "fluff".

I'm so glad you posted that. I honestly had no idea what people were talking about when they said "crusts". I kept thinking pie crust. (doh!)
  • PleasantRidge1969
    Options
    "there are starving children in ___________________________so eat your food.".......... WHAT THE HELL DOES ME CLEANING MY PLATE HAVE TO DO WITH THE STARVING CHILDREN OF THE WORLD nothing... they are still hungery and now I'm struggling to lose all those years of "clean your plate".... I actually told my mom once " well then pack up what I don't want and send it to them"

Then my daddy slapped the **** outta me.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    "there are starving children in ___________________________so eat your food.".......... WHAT THE HELL DOES ME CLEANING MY PLATE HAVE TO DO WITH THE STARVING CHILDREN OF THE WORLD nothing... they are still hungery and now I'm struggling to lose all those years of "clean your plate".... I actually told my mom once " well then pack up what I don't want and send it to them"

Then my daddy slapped the **** outta me.

Haha! Mine too!
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    if you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. how can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

HAHAH nice one man :)
  • CanDew512
    CanDew512 Posts: 7
    Options
    Hmm...This isn't a "diet" myth necessarily, but my aunt believes that the only healthy people in the world (aside from her, and she is quite overweight for her size) are skinny people....oh, and i hate when people hate on carbs/sugar/salt....and when my brother says things like "you should start eating paleo, I lost 8 pounds in a month eating a pound of bacon every day"--I think my arteries clog just from hearing him speak....

I have a cousin who insists paleo is the only way she lost any weight. She works out like a maniac... I think that might have something to do with it.. :)
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Nothing to add.
  • TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    Vegan eating is healthy.

oreos are vegan.
    just sayin':wink: ANY vegan/vegetarian/omnivore/whatever lifestyle can be healthy OR NOT healthy depending on what that person eats...I agree with you that blanket statements like "vegan is healthy" are a pile of crap

All my favorites have already been said...

Oh, I can add "anything Dr. Oz EVER said."

Oreos aren't vegan.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    spinach grows hair on your chest