whats the worst "food myth" you have heard?

Options

Replies

• ChristySeeksBalance
    ChristySeeksBalance Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    'Red Bull gives you wings'

so disappointed when I found out this was a myth.

Yes, this is a disappointment, if only my brother had figured that out sooner. RIP my little brother.

I really hope you're joking. This totally made me laugh, which is grossly inappropriate if you're serious.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    My coworkers congregate over anyone who loses weight or appears to be eating healthy for some magic tip.

apparently the new guy is the guru and he informed my overweight, sedentary coworkers that an apple microwaved in bacon fat was a healthy snack

I don't find this to be a bad myth or a myth at all.

I'm not sure about mushy apples ... but bacon does make everything better. it may be worth a try.
  • ChaosMoosie
    ChaosMoosie Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    that sugar contains only 28 calories per teaspoon (true) and won't have any negative effects on you losing weight (totally false).
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    that sugar contains only 28 calories per teaspoon (true) and won't have any negative effects on you losing weight (totally false).

I disagree on your totally false. at least, for the vast majority of the population.

in the simplest terms, calories determine weight gain or loss. so too much sugar will hinder weight because of the calorie content, if it goes too high. otherwise ... not so much.
  • DB_1106
    DB_1106 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    That a low fat, high carbohydrate diet is heart healthy.
  • Rachelle_Rachelle
    Options
    I was told you can't eat any fruit or you will never lose weight. Yeah, right.
  • wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options
    That people without celiac disease should eat a gluten-free diet.
    That if it's "organic" (contains carbon?) it must be healthy.
    That if it's not "organic" it must be unhealthy.
    That there is really any such thing as unprocessed food.
  • Rachelle_Rachelle
    Options
    The only fluid that counts for hydration is plain water straight up. If that were true I'd have shriveled up and blown away years ago.

Oh. And if you swallow an apple seed a tree will grow in your belly. Still waiting on that one!

That apple seed one is the funniest one so far!

I tried this when I was a kid. I sadly, did not grow an apple tree in my tummy...unless i pooped it out already and it hadn't a chance in the world. In which case...cool!
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    if you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. how can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?
    :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou::flowerforyou:
  • rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Eating eggs will cause high cholesterol
    All of those "cleanses"...

And basically everything causes cancer
  • DB_1106
    DB_1106 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    What about the myth that you have to eat above 1200 calories a day or you will stall and not lose weight. Yeah, tell that one to gastric bypass patients who eat 300-1000 calories a day and lose massive amounts of weight.
  • Rachelle_Rachelle
    Options
    My mother in law once lectured my son about how terrible seedless watermelon is for you (one of his favorite foods), because God made the fruit with seeds and seedless fruit is from the devil because it isn't natural. SHE WAS EATING A TWIX BAR WHILE SHE TOLD HIM THIS!

That is SO wrong. Poor little guy. I hope he can still eat the watermelon and not be scarred for life.
  • Rachelle_Rachelle
    Options
    if you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. how can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?
    :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou::flowerforyou:

My sentiments exactly smiley face posting individual!
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    hmmm ... so many. sodium is the devil and sugar is the devil's evil little henchman. but you can't eat artificial sweeteners, either, unless you want to grow an extra appendage before dying from cancer.

LOL
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    "Gluten free foods are much healthier" (coming from a friend who does not have celiac disease or a gluten intolerance).

HA HA! I have a severe gluten intolerance. Everyone always asks me if I eat this way to lose weight. No, I live this way so so I don't wish I would die! UGH! This is not a choice.
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    My coworkers congregate over anyone who loses weight or appears to be eating healthy for some magic tip.

apparently the new guy is the guru and he informed my overweight, sedentary coworkers that an apple microwaved in bacon fat was a healthy snack

I don't find this to be a bad myth or a myth at all.

ditto - I was thinking that might be a great idea to try. Everything better with bacon....fat.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    A diabetic woman once told me that she can't eat frosting anymore but she can still eat cake because "all of the sugars cook out in the baking process." :huh:

LOL...

right up there with... you can eat as many broken cookies as you want because when they're broken the calories leak out.

(Never heard that one said seriously.)
  • Redheadllena
    Redheadllena Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    The fruits being bad because of sugar one and also that vegetarians/vegans struggle to get enough protein in their diet- SO not the case! Those ones annoy me the most...
  • plumtri
    plumtri Posts: 1
    Options
    That soy is good for you
  • FatToFit12
    FatToFit12 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    "there are starving children in ___________________________so eat your food.".......... WHAT THE HELL DOES ME CLEANING MY PLATE HAVE TO DO WITH THE STARVING CHILDREN OF THE WORLD nothing... they are still hungery and now I'm struggling to lose all those years of "clean your plate".... I actually told my mom once " well then pack up what I don't want and send it to them"

Haha.....totally agree.