Hubs thinks my weight goal is too much

Options

Replies

• futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I can't speak because it depends on each person and their unique body type. Also, your muscle will change that greatly. 110 might be a perfect weight for you with little to no muscle, but obviously if you build some muscle then 120 or even 130 might be best. All I suggest is working to a point where you are happy with your appearance and fitness level. Wherever that is, stick with it. (Assuming it's within the realm of healthy)

I'm in a similar but different position. I have a goal (that is healthy) and my girlfriend says it's too low because she says if I'm thin/athletic that she won't find me attractive. *shrugs* All you can do is work towards what makes you happy and be willing to re-evaluate your situation as you progress. Peoples opinions are just that, their opinions. Nothing says that they are right or wrong. I hope you reach your goal. Good luck!
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7", my goal is 140, the mid range of 'healthy' for my height. The lowest number for my height would make me look sick.
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how you look and feel. I'm 5'6". My goal is 125-130. I've been that weight before, I know it looks good on me, without any extra flab anywhere.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I would personally set my goal to the mid point of the healthy weight range then adjust when I got there. What most don't understand is that once you get to your goal... you still adjust your body by proper weight training to get the contour you desire. Actually in my case I just reset my initial goal to 225 which is technically 25 lbs overweight... but since I am pushing the weight training at the same time, I can adjust body fat from 2 directions. The goal should be adjustable... Body fat is the main concern.. Get that in check then morph your body into what you want it to be.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and my weight goal is 110. My husband told me tonight he thinks that is just too much loss. Is it?

I chose that number because it was the lowest healthy weight on a chart I saw, and also because I started at 212 and I wanted my loss to be an even 100 pounds.

I've seen pictures on MyBodyGallery of pear-shaped, 110 pound 5'4" tall women and I thought it was a decent goal with a flattering figure. My husband thinks I'm going to look all gaunt and anorexic!

How do you set a decent goal that keeps health at the forefront?

Depends on your body type and age. I'm a mesomorph (athletic build), 5.2" and 44 years old. My goal weight is 122.0 and I was quite slim at that weight. Once you reach about 125-130... you'll know if you need to adjust your goal. Good luck!
  • tomakehermine
    Options
    i am 5'3 going for 130 or 135 ish - i used to be around 110 and i was told repeatedly by the loved ones in my life that it didn't look right. they called me 'usedtasexy' bc i used to be sexy at 130 xD it is different for every person though - i however have never been more confident and happy with myself than i was around that weight *shrugs*
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    It's fine to have a goal, but take pictures along the way so that you can tell if you're "going too far".

Or... just set mini-goals of 25, 50, etc lbs... then you can re-*kitten* as you get to each goal.
  • maddmaddie
    maddmaddie Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" current at 166 lbs and my ultimate goal weight is 145 lbs. But I enjoy lifting weights because I want to be toned and fit instead of "just thin (and squishy)" so health, fitness and inches lost is more important that the number on the scale.

Good luck with your weight loss journey! :)
  • brendacs21
    brendacs21 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and my healthy weight is under 137. Ive never been under 140 since middle school. Im not sure what my goal is because at 140 i stil had a pretty big stomach and arms. I just cant even imagine weighing that little!!! i guess i will have to see when i get there
  • TitiVon
    TitiVon Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree with your husband. I am 5'4" with a pear shape. I feel and look the best at 135-138. Because of the pear shape, I start to look too skinny (above my waist) when I go below 135. Please enjoy who you are and do this for your health, not a number. Much success with your weight loss.
  • striveforhealthy
    striveforhealthy Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Depends how you're built. Don't be afraid to re-evaluate when you get closer to your goal.
    Ding ding ding. I find this to be the perfect response.
  • striveforhealthy
    striveforhealthy Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and 129. I am aiming for 117-120. I'm to the point where toning is more important than losing weight but losing an additional 10lbs will not make me look unhealthy in any way. However, I've seen others who look similar to me who weigh 140lbs. In that case, their goal would differ from mine. Weight is distributed differently, different % of body fat, ect...
  • nasimow
    nasimow Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and currently at about 119. I really want to get down to 108 because I remember feeling great at that weight. I think it depends on your body shape. I am very small boned so even a little bit of weight looks like a lot on me. Even when I was 108 I was curvy. Keep losing until you feel right.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Goal weight is not set in stone, so you are free to reevaluate at any time. I agree that it depends on your frame size whether or not 110 is too low. But part of me think that your husband might think it's too low because he doesn't know how you will look at the weight. You can work toward 110lbs, and decide if it's truly what you want as you lose weight. It's not like you lose weight overnight and can't stop losing. I am 5'3" and 108 lbs; I don't think I look too skinny.
  • majordlite
    majordlite Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I think you'll know when you get there. I'm 5'4", and at my lowest I was 112...and people said I looked anorexic. I personally felt my best at 120, but would probably be okay at 125 if I was more toned. Right now, I'm at 139 and look fine in clothes, but wouldn't want to go out in a swimsuit at this point. Maybe you should start out by shooting for the middle range of the chart for your height? Good luck to you!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and when I got down to 119lb my parents started threatening to force feed me and I was about to need an A cup for my bras!

I think the bra issue is a real one, but other people's opinions are less useful. Jealousy, insecurity and the fact that the norm is to be overweight, mean that other people may want you to be bigger than you want to be.

I have let myself regain weight and there are things I like and dislike about being 130lb again. I like having my boob and butt back, but I don't like carrying this extra tummy flab around.

Regaining has also given me the perspective that weight doesn't have to be permanent. Lose too much? You can gain. Gain too much? You can lose. When I've stopped trying to have kids I might see how low my body is happy going, but for now, 130lb is good.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"4 too and for me that would be WAYYYYYY too low.

My husband was worrying that I was too thin when I got close to 70kg (about 153 pounds I think). I can't even imagine how sick I would look if I dropped another 20kg.

But, your body shape and makeup is probably different to mine - I think the best thing to do is to work at losing weight slowly and steadily and see how you look and feel once you have lost some of the weight.

Personally I'll be happy when I get back down to around 150, that feels about right for me and comes in at the top end of the "healthy weight range". I think that anything under that is going to have me looking gaunt, wrinkly and very old.
  • BazAbroad
    BazAbroad Posts: 248
    Options
    Its your goal it can b what ever you personally want it to be.
    Whether it be a realistic goal or not is something else.
    I am guessing your either new or getting back into training / shape,
    so saying your learning as you go, you will see yourself if your goal is the right one,
    and as you learn more about exercise and good health you can decide.
    There's no pressure now, as long as your improving and heading in the right direction, you can decide when you have reached a level of fitness than you want, and then just have to maintain.
    Mini goals towards a main goal that is the way to go.
  • CeeRawr89
    CeeRawr89 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3.75 and my goal is 110-115, I was my healthiest there and that's where I want to be.
  • shebubba
    shebubba Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You have to do this for yourself, however, your husbands opinion should be considered also. 110 is along the lines for your height but if he is use to seeing you at a larger weight, he might not be able to picture you at 110. It will be a significant change in your appearence for you and him....