Hubs thinks my weight goal is too much

Options

Replies

• DeckerDoll
    DeckerDoll Posts: 201
    Options
    Depends on your build IMO. I'm about 5'3-ish and I currently weigh 110. My husband thinks I look fine anywhere from 100-110 and I've okay'd it with my physician as well. Different strokes for different folks :)
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Wow, 140 does look like a much healthier number for my height! I wanted to be able to say "I lost 100 pounds!" But I'd rather be healthy (that's the whole reason I'm doing this!) than be one of the Olsens!

There is nothing stoppin you reaching 130/140 then setting up an ultimate goal :)
  • Jenjaz1910
    Jenjaz1910 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I am just under 5ft 3 and my goal is 130lbs, but ideally I wouldn't want to go any lower than 126lbs! Set yourself smaller goals to aime for. Like
    1st goal: 200lbs
    2nd Goal: 180lbs
    3rd Goal: 160lbs
    4th Goal: 150lbs
    5th Goal: 140lbs

This way you can gauge on what is best for your body. Good Luck x
  • tamsinwhitfield
    tamsinwhitfield Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    How long is a piece of string? This comes down entirely to how you're personally built - I weigh 107 at 5'4" at the moment having gained weight since last year, and no one is accusing me of looking anorexic. If you have a very slight build and / or small frame, then I don't see anything wrong with that goal - but why not stop at around 125 and reassess? If you like how things are going, you could take a break to tighten up a bit, and see how you feel then?
  • gooiyw
    gooiyw Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You could always change your mind as you assess yourself throughout your journey. I'm currently at 125-126 lbs (at 5'4.5"). I intend to stay a while at this weight as I work on muscle development although I had set my GW a tad lower (121lbs). Best of luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • Kell_Smurthwaite
    Kell_Smurthwaite Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing that you'll be exercising as part of your drive to be thinner and healthier, so chances are that once you get to a healthy and trim size, you'll be heavier than that anyway because of muscle. Muscle is more dense than fat so if you have good muscle tone you will be trimmer than a person of the same weight who does not (the fat takes up way more room for the same weight).

I'm 5' 6" and am aiming for 10.5 stones, but chances are I'll be closer to 11 stones when I reach a size I'm happy with as I'm working out a lot and using weights as well as cardio - cardio to burn off the cals and weights ot tone up and strengthen the musles.
  • Sunscreenandsweat
    Sunscreenandsweat Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3 and want to be 130 so yes I would agree that that's too low for someone taller than me.
  • natika33
    natika33 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    There's an old saying that says if you shoot for the stars, at least you'll hit the moon! I see nothing wrong with setting your goal at whatever you like. It takes quite some time to lose 50lbs let alone 100, so you'll have lots of time to reassess, never fear.

A lot of people have mentioned that it depends on your frame, but it also depends on where your fat gets distributed. I'm also 5'4" and I currently weigh 121lbs (lowest 119, but my goal is 110 same as you). ALL of my fat is on my thighs and butt though, so if I'm wearing an A-line skirt anyone would swear up and down that I'm skinny, but put me in a pair of skinny jeans and all of a sudden I get comments about my big *kitten*! ha ha!
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I think I would aim for 120-130 and see how that goes.
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Take it a bit at a time. It depends on your bones too. If you are thin boned then maybe. Get to a certain pound and see how you feel about that. Then if you feel you need to lose more, do so but don't try to get too lose. Because you said it was the lowest number for your height...which means it is a small step above underweight, which is not healthy. Try for the mid range.

^^ Totally this ^^ That's what I did on my goal - middle of weight range for my height. Great advice, if I do say so myself. :wink: :flowerforyou:
  • duplicitous
    duplicitous Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5" and 110 is way to small for me (and I am small boned). 120-125 would be the lowest imho.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft1" tall and my doctor wants me to get down to 101 pounds, because of the height/weight chart and I'm not getting down to that number and I told my doctor that. I would look anorexic. The biggest I ever was, before I started gaining weight was 125 pounds and it took me 4 years to gain 20 pounds, bringing my weight up to 145 pounds.

I focus on my body fat percentage, pounds of fat and inches loss. Fat loss and scale weight loss aren't the same thing. I have a body fat percentage goal that I'm aiming for and when I get there, I will still be classified as being obese and I'm fine with that. My scale weight doesn't determine what size clothes that I wear or even if I'm healthy or not.

If I can suggest something to you that would be not to focus on scale weight. Body fat percentage or clothes size is a good thing to focus on.

This is very true :)
  • traceyjayne64
    traceyjayne64 Posts: 262
    Options
    Im 5'4 and my goal at the moment is 160, i started at 203. Im just going to see how i look and feel when i get there and decide then if i wont to lose more. My hubby definitely wants some meat on my bones :happy:
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    How do you set a decent goal that keeps health at the forefront?

Don't worry about scale weight so much. Start exercising to build some muscle and you won't worry so much about the number on the scale anymore. Muscle will roast the body fat away and you'll find yourself comfortable at a much higher number than you probably ever expected.
  • momof2winsplus
    momof2winsplus Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and my goal is 145. I have 108 lbs of lean body mass, so if I went to 110, I would only have 1% body fat! Definitely not healthy. I am at 150 right now, and DH said I already look perfect. So if I get those last 5 lbs, I will be in healthy BMI (I know its the worst measure, but still want to be in it).
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your frame. I'm 5'3.5" (had myself measured and I'm not 5'4" like I thought... *sobs*) and I weigh between 145-150lbs. I have a large frame. I would look downright sickly at 110lbs (and I would weigh the same as my teenage daughter! No thanks!). I think it all depends on what makes YOU comfortable. I know that I would struggle to get down to 110lbs and I also know it would be a terrible struggle to keep myself there.

In my profile picture, I weigh right about 150lbs. At my heaviest, I weighed 203lbs (that would be the red shirt picture). That'll give you a rough idea of what 150lbs looks like on my frame. :)
  • carolaearl
    carolaearl Posts: 1
    Options
    I felt better at 145 Lb and most of my clothes that I have fit better..... Hoping to lose the winter weight I put on.
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    i think its a nice goal. i'm 5' 5 1/2" and my ultimate goal is 115. i'm pretty small boned, though.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    110 will not look gaunt or anorexic. Trust me. You'll just look slender and nice.

You have to get down to a lower number to "look" anorexic (but I should mention that no body type is "anorexic". you can be anorexic and overweight)
  • Natty0506
    Natty0506 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 1/2" and my goal is around 130. I am large boned though, so getting super skinny would make me look awful. I think you should just focus on a small goal instead of a huge 100 lb loss.