Rudeness Is the New Appetite Suppressant

Options
Just had a run in with THE rudest man I have ever met. He asked me if I was pregnant, which you NEVER ask a woman. When in doubt, keep your damn mouth shut. Since my parents raised me with manners and I realize that some people didn't come up with the same advantage I laughed it off and said no, I wasn't pregnant that I had just gained some weight. He then says "Well if you're not pregnant, you need to be on a diet." Okay... rude much? Damn. The loud thunk I heard just after his comment was my co-worker's jaw hitting the floor since she was privy to the whole conversation. The bad news... my self esteem just dropped a few hundred notches. The good news... I'm not hungry for lunch anymore so thanks, *kitten*... I guess.

Replies

• Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    That is just tacky.
  • deborahmills22
    deborahmills22 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    He's an *kitten* and I'm sorry his ignorance was directed at you.
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    What an *kitten*.. I would have thrown all my manners out the window and let him have it. :grumble:
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Oh no. :-( people are so rude. Someone said something like that to my cousin yesterday too.
  • 1slimlinda
    1slimlinda Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    He is a very unhappy man......do not accept his poison.. Obviously it is a big part of his life that it is spewing out into the world around him. Stay positive and loving yourself just as you are is the greatest gift to you!
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    omg, some b****, umm, i mean lovely lady, said the same thing to me after i had lost my first 25lbs. i was so frigging pissed and it made me feel like crap. i was so proud of my loss and she stole my thunder wiht one stinkin comment. I gain weight in my belly, i still think i look pregnant in some outfits. its just how she goes, i guess. but, its like one of my big fears now (to have someone ask, that is). HOW RUDE!!!!!!!
  • misticache
    misticache Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    He is a loser. I would have come back with a snarky comment myself or simply said wow you really are an asshat. You look great. Screw him and the horse he rode in on.
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Why would a random idiots comments bother you?

My doctor told me I need to lose weight. I know I need to lose weight. Did his comments offend me? Nope- he is just trying to help me live longer.

Don't let negativity put you down. Harness it and use it as fuel to continue pushing even harder. Being "down" on yourself never helped you before and will never help you - so push through it.
  • WhatDoesLisa
    WhatDoesLisa Posts: 214
    Options
    My co-workers do this to me all the time. I get, "But, you are pretty hardcore, I would think that you would have the disclipline to lose the weight". Or, "But you are so vain about everything else, I would think that you could lose some weight." And on and on!

Umm, fat people can do their nails and color their hair. And yes, I am pretty hardcore but you have never had to struggle with your weight so you don't fight the battles that I do in my head.

I think that type of rudeness is just trying to cover up their own inadequacies so I don't let it bother me. Hey, at least I have a pretty face and I will be smoking hot when I get skinny but they can't do anything about their ugly. :happy:
  • Gwoman2012
    Gwoman2012 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Bmadiuk- Really? You are comparing your doctor telling you to lose weight to a random stranger asking you if you are pregnant and then telling you that you need to lose weight?

Sorry, not the same at all and she has every right to have her feelings hurt. I'm pretty sure that comment would bother 99% of women.

I do agree with your last statement!
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    wow, i wonder what's wrong with his own body that he feels he needed to point out a complete stranger's flaws in such a rude and unacceptable way. He probably has a tiny wiener...... LOL
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Lol, was he Asian?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    ask the man if he has a toupee on if he says no say i never seen real hair look that bad if he has one then say its on crooked .. that will shut any man up lol
  • soon2blollar
    Options
    I would have told him "I may be big but you're ugly and I can diet" Actually I probably wouldn't because I'm just not that kind of person but it would have gone thru my head. :) Keep doing what you are doing and know that he has to live with goes on in his head all the time. Must be a miserable existance.
  • _HeyMommy_
    _HeyMommy_ Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Sorry you had to deal with such a assclown. :0) I would have said..at least im losing weight,
    You cant change ugly. :0)

Edited to add Jinx to the person above me.. we posted the same thing at the same time..lol
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Morons say the darndest things................to borrow / paraphrase the immortal Winston Churchill, "I may be fat but I can lose weight but you, sir, will still be stupid"
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    As Dave Barry once said, "you should never, EVER ask a woman if she is pregnant unless you see a baby emerging from her body at that exact moment."

Don't get into an argument with a stupid person. They'll just drag you down to their level and defeat you due to experience.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    The good news... I'm not hungry for lunch anymore so thanks, *kitten*... I guess.

Umm, no, that's not good news. Not if those were quality calories you were eating and part of your plan. Because if you skipped them, you now have to make sure to replace them with calories of equal or better quality.

I don't know about you, maybe you're a stronger person than I, but my food reaction when I'm feeling both disheartened and hungry is rarely to grab a healthy snack and eat in moderation.

If this happens again, flip the asshat the bird and enjoy your lunch.
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I would likely laugh it off. When I was in college, I was pretty small (about 120 lbs, size 4) and worked in Jr's at Dillard's. I was asked at least once a month by someone if I was pregnant. I think it was because I wore a lot of baby doll tops that pregnant women wear. Then, I would just smile and say no, but thank you for the self esteem bump. Now, I just would likely laugh and say yes, I'm due next week. Don't I look great?
  • marzinator13
    marzinator13 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I know its hard not to let things get to you but you have to remember your working on you and you know everything thats inside your and thats stronger than any negaative comment you could ever get