First 5K-What is/was your time goal?

Options
1235»

Replies

• secondchance82
    Options
    My first race (ever) was a full marathon, but I did run a 5K 2 months after my marathon and my time was 31:10. I was coming off an injury and gained about 8lbs. of injury weight so I think I did pretty well for being a back of the pack runner. Didn't train for it and it was really my only road run post-injury aside from PT on the treadmill, just winged the entire thing.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I think my first 5k goal was around 32 minutes? I don't exactly remember. I think I just wanted to finish. I ended up running it in 26:57, which is actually still my fasted 5k time. Because race adrenaline is awesome.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    For your first 5k, just have fun, train with your friend and finish. I ran my first 5k while I was in the Army in 1984 in 22 minutes.
    Nowadays, I am happy with 30 minutes! Good luck!
  • KyliAnnHobson
    KyliAnnHobson Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I just ran my first 5k last weekend and it was a trail run, a little hard than I anticipated! I had just finished c25k (skipped a couple days towards the end, actually, so I could run a full 3 miles at least twice before the race) and my time was 28:19, which is a lot faster than I was running in training! I think adrenaline had a lot to do with it! It was so much fun and I'm running my next 5k next weekend! I can't wait! :happy:
  • stefanieceleste0530
    stefanieceleste0530 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    My first (and only) was 46:15 in March 2011. I basically completed it by jogging/walking intervals through the whole thing. I had suffered a calf injury about 2 months before the race...it occasionally still bothers me, but my goal is to get back to jogging again and do the same race next March.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    My first 5k goal was to cross the finish line having run the whole thing. That's all I needed in order to be proud of myself :smile:

Edit: My time was 43:14, which I don't think was that bad for having only been running a month without having run in 10 years.

I agree! Just do it and have fun! I started C25K in January after losing 35 lbs and after a 20-year layoff from running. I ran my first 5K at the end of March and finished in 36:25. In April, I started Bridge to 10K and ran my first 10K this morning in 1:10:12. I wasn't fast, but I was thrilled that I ran the entire race. Now, I have to look for a half-marathon training program. Any suggestions out there?
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    My first 5k goal was to cross the finish line having run the whole thing. That's all I needed in order to be proud of myself :smile:

Edit: My time was 43:14, which I don't think was that bad for having only been running a month without having run in 10 years.

This was my goal as well. My time was 43:48, and I had only been running a short time before my 5k, too. I hadn't ever run before, even when I was a kid I was excused from it because of my asthma, so just completing a 5k without walking was a HUGE thing for me. :laugh:
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    My first 5k was 22:59 but I ran it in May and had been running since last October.