Older man with Younger Woman (Ladies Only)

Options

Replies

• garnetsms
    garnetsms Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    I prefer older men myself. My oldest son's father was 13 yrs older; however since our divorce (11 yrs ago) I have stuck to 10 yrs older or less. My current SO is 10 yrs older.

That being said, when my parents divorced, I asked my dad to PLEASE not to date someone my age. My stepmother is 14 yrs younger than him, which makes her only 5 yrs older than me.
  • SkettiGurl
    SkettiGurl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Yeah, there's nothing to it at that age. 10-15 years younger and willing to have a family? Just reading between the lines but you think you've missed your window to have kids and your friend was saying no?

If that's the case...good luck to you. Try online dating...not as creepy anymore and just make sure you are honest. You may be surprised!

If I'm totally wrong...nevermind then :blushing:
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I used to say age is just a number but now I'll say it's all about maturity. I don't really care how much older or younger (up to a point, nobody under 21) a guy is so long as we're on a similar page in life.

I married older and age wasn't a factor in our divorce. I just dated a guy almost 6 yrs younger and while he was fun he also had so much less experience with life that I couldn't relate to him very well.

So I guess I'd rather have older than younger but maturity is the biggest factor.
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    And what up with a man going for a younger woman? Lets say a man that is 40 going for a 25 year old? Really? What is he thinking? Or what is he thinking WITH?

My ex (the mother of my two sons), is 12yrs younger than I am. We were together for seven years (we met just after she turned 18, I was 30). If she didn't have the emotional/mental issues she does, we'd still be together. Her age has/had no bearing on those issues.

If you'd like to know what I was thinking with, by the way...it was my heart.

For the record...as a 37yr old man, I don't 'connect' with women my age. It's not a maturity thing, at all. It's an emotional thing really. The women my age I've met, aren't emotionally available, and to be honest...don't seem to want the things I want. I want 'us'...they want 'me...oh, and you too'. And it's not that they aren't giving in a relationship...they are. They just want a level of independance I'm not interested in. Understand, I'm not saying independance is bad...or that what they want for themselves is bad. I'm saying that the level they want, isn't good for me. I want a modern version (meaning we're equals, not I'm King and she's my servant) of my great grandparents relationship...my grandparents relationship...and even my parents relationship to some extent.

Women my age, in my experience...aren't interested in that.

Where have you been all my life? :flowerforyou:
  • renwicker
    renwicker Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I beleive the rule is: half your age + 7. At least that what Tom Haverford told Andy on Parks and Rec!!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    my husband is 19 years older than I am. We didn't make any babies, but that's because he already had 5 and that is plenty!

I am glad I married a man older than I am. We are a perfect match.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

That being said, when my parents divorced, I asked my dad to PLEASE not to date someone my age. My stepmother is 14 yrs younger than him, which makes her only 5 yrs older than me.

Forgive me if this is too much, but what makes you think you had the right to say that to him? What if his perfect mate was your own age? You'd wish him to be alone?

How sad.
  • NiSan12
    NiSan12 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I would prefer older men because women on average are more mature than men at the same age so you need someone older to be on your level.
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options
    its not just age that counts but so much more than that,
    you have to be able to get along , be best friends , and lovers, be tolerant and patient with each other,
    have good communication, and stand by each other no matter what life throws at you,
    and the older you both are the gap seems less important,
    my husband is 5 years older than me we have been together since 1974 and married in 1976.
    You have to work through issues and forgive incidentals. be loyal and respect each other.

AMEN!!! Totally agree with you. My husband just happens to be much younger and I love him and he loves me totally... I think we make most ppl sick because we are like newlyweds still:)
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I had to read this thread because my Dad is 66 (approx.) and is dating a 32 year old!!!! I'm 37, so the fact that his girlfriend is younger than me makes me SICK to my stomach. It's so wrong

Why is it wrong? They're both adults...it's not like she's even a young adult, she's plenty old enough to know what she's doing...as is he.

I'm not being mean...and I do agree it's more than a little odd, but it's not your place, or mine...to judge.
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Ugh. My dad just married a woman from Thailand who is a year younger than me (she's 31, he's 56.) He's going through the paperwork now to move her here (US) in about six months. I'm really trying to be positive about the whole thing, as he seems happy, but I just can't shake this :grumble: :sick::explode: :sick: :huh: feeling. Am I wrong to find the whole situation unappealing?
    No offence, but seems like one of those mail order bride things.................................that s*** ain't right!!!

Can you say "Green Card"? OR as I have heard sooo many times, "Me love you long time". But looking at the positive, I hope I'm wrong.

Come on people -- stop slamming the woman. So she wants an older man who can bring her to the US. And he wants a young Thai woman (insert cultural expectations of slim, beautiful, subservient here). Seems they are both getting what they want. If they find love in the midst of it, good for them.

I sure hope so.......otherwise, Ima-beat-hur-*kitten*!!! :laugh:

Seriously though, I just want my Dad to be happy. If this woman is what his heart needs, so be it. I will support his decision and welcome her with open arms! :smooched:

BUT......if she turns out to be a gold-digging succubus, IMA-BEAT-HUR-*kitten*!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Love does not discriminate. If two people love one another, age is just a number. What matters is the connection, they way they make each other feel, the way they feel around one another...

LOVE is an invisible string tying two hearts FOREVER.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Ugh. My dad just married a woman from Thailand who is a year younger than me (she's 31, he's 56.) He's going through the paperwork now to move her here (US) in about six months. I'm really trying to be positive about the whole thing, as he seems happy, but I just can't shake this :grumble: :sick::explode: :sick: :huh: feeling. Am I wrong to find the whole situation unappealing?
    No offence, but seems like one of those mail order bride things.................................that s*** ain't right!!!

Can you say "Green Card"? OR as I have heard sooo many times, "Me love you long time". But looking at the positive, I hope I'm wrong.

Come on people -- stop slamming the woman. So she wants an older man who can bring her to the US. And he wants a young Thai woman (insert cultural expectations of slim, beautiful, subservient here). Seems they are both getting what they want. If they find love in the midst of it, good for them.

I sure hope so.......otherwise, Ima-beat-hur-*kitten*!!! :laugh:

Seriously though, I just want my Dad to be happy. If this woman is what his heart needs, so be it. I will support his decision and welcome her with open arms! :smooched:

BUT......if she turns out to be a gold-digging succubus, IMA-BEAT-HUR-*kitten*!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

LOL!!

Make those ground rules clear from the get go!
  • maddmaddie
    maddmaddie Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Its funny that typically men want to date/marry younger women, and women almost always end up with someone whose a bit older. But the fact is, men die before women so all of these ladies will end up alone when they're old.

How it should be is that women should be looking for younger men so they have the most amount of time together in life. But then there are issues with maturity levels are different, women probably have to marry later in life to wait for the younger guy to mature, etc. lol

But I shouldn't talk because I ended up with a guy whose 8 years older than me, so I'm pretty much screwed when I become 70+ years old. I'll end up being alone when I'm a old lady because my honey will die before me......but I'll try to keep his health is ship shape while we're still together. :-P
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    My husband is 13 years older than me (I'm 29, he's 42) and we don't ever feel an age difference. He's in really good physical shape and comes from a super healthy family (his Dad does triathlons at 65.) Go figure that I should be the hot young wife, and I'm the pudgy one trying to lose weight while my old hubby is doing 70 mile bike rides. Hmph.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    A lot of women prefer older men as it's a known fact that women mature at a different rate. I knew girls when I was in my teens that preferred YOUNGER, and I could never understand why. I'm currently married to someone who is 8 years my senior, and a lot of my male friends that are my age irritate me still because they are immature.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but you're wrong.

My fiancé's 25 years my senior (He 47, me 21 - 22 in July) and we happily plan to start a family together.
  • dreamingchild
    dreamingchild Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Simple answer is Yes a younger woman would date/marry an older man. I'm married to a man 12 years older than me.

I believe that there are psychological reasons why SOME women go for older men.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    each to their own. I find men who want to date much younger women are very immature themselves so in a way its a good match, its a question of dating equals and people who are emotionally your equal. worry that they want to be in control and don't want an equal.
    My husband is 12 years younger than me and in many waysmuch more mature than the men I used to date who were my age or older.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    each to their own. I find men who want to date much younger women are very immature themselves so in a way its a good match, its a question of dating equals and people who are emotionally your equal. worry that they want to be in control and don't want an equal.
    My husband is 12 years younger than me and in many waysmuch more mature than the men I used to date who were my age or older.

So let me get this straight. Men who date younger women (this would include me, at various times in my life), are either very immature, or want to be in control rather than date an equal.

But you, who married a man 12yrs younger than you are...don't fit into either of those completely inaccurate stereotypes...just because you're not a man??